WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,
I picked up a NOS Glycine on eBay a while back.
The watch is in great condition, but the original leather strap is a bit sticky and icky, so I think I may stash it and wear the watch on something new.

The watch itself is pretty similar to a Rolex Datejust.
It's a two-tone with a gold dial, plexi with date cyclops and gold bezel over a stainless case. Someone at the Poor Man's Watch Forum has posted one here.

Would appreciate some suggestions on what specific strap might look good with it and ballpark prices for same :thanks

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hiya,
I picked up a NOS Glycine on eBay a while back.

The watch itself is pretty similar to a Rolex Datejust.
It's a two-tone with a gold dial, plexi with date cyclops and gold bezel over a stainless case.

Would appreciate some suggestions on what specific strap might look good with it and ballpark prices for same :thanks
That's a great looking watch-- very DJ-like!

I have a Rolex DJ with gold markers and coin/fluted bezel, and steel case that looks a bit like your example (except with white face, not yellow/gold face). I had the gold/ steel jubilee bracelet that's classic for the look, but I really didn't feel comfortable with the "bling" factor.

One of the regular posters (Dr. Robert) has an example of a Rolex he put on a black lizard strap that looks quite sharp, and I followed that example and have been very happy with the result. I've got it on a flat, non-padded black Java lizard strap with a gold buckle, and it looks incredibly classy, yet dresses both up and down equally well. I got mine from Hadley Roma for around $35; I think you probably can pay a bit more and get one that's a little more sturdy/ high quality than mine.

I don't have a photo of mine currently, but you could probably do a search in the Rolex forum under his name to see Dr. Robert's example. His example is probably even more fitting, since it also is a gold-faced DJ.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a great looking watch-- very DJ-like!
One of the regular posters (Dr. Robert) has an example of a Rolex he put on a black lizard strap that looks quite sharp, and I followed that example and have been very happy with the result. I've got it on a flat, non-padded black Java lizard strap with a gold buckle, and it looks incredibly classy, yet dresses both up and down equally well. I got mine from Hadley Roma for around $35; I think you probably can pay a bit more and get one that's a little more sturdy/ high quality than mine.
Exotic skins~ Alligator, Crocodile, Lizard, or Ostrich, cheers! ;-)
Thanks for the suggestions |>
I don't normally love Ostrich, but I've found some nice Hadley Roma ones that are a bit glossy.
That should work pretty well too, so I might pick one of those up.
I've picked up a NOS Rolex lizard strap that looks pretty well suited, but that brings me to my next conundrum...

The Glycine strap tapers from 20mm to 14mm at the buckle end. I think the Rolex strap is 16mm at the buckle end.
What sort of buckle would be in keeping with the watch ?

·
Registered
933 Posts
it might not be keeping with the watch but some form of deployment makes wearing a strap more enjoyable for me anyways, and they should last much longer.

cory

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
Though not uncommon for a strap to be one width and taper size another width, all you have to do is find a strap that you like and measure the width of the tapered end and then find a deployant with the same width~Cheers! ;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the great suggestions guys.

I found a NOS Rolex lizard strap to go with my NOS Rolex-wannabe.

I think the strap works quite well, but I'm still on the look out for a more yellow-y gold deployment clasp.

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
it might not be keeping with the watch but some form of deployment makes wearing a strap more enjoyable for me anyways, and they should last much longer.

cory
I'm with monticore, regardless the strap, I much prefer a deployant over a buckle. Cheers, Bill P.
+1 |>

Thanks for the great suggestions guys.

I found a NOS Rolex lizard strap to go with my NOS Rolex-wannabe.

I think the strap works quite well, but I'm still on the look out for a more yellow-y gold deployment clasp.
Looks fantastic~Cheers! ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts