WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired my latest Oris (6th or so over the last 20 years), a Carl Brashear bronze. Love the look but not very fond of the odd 21mm lug size nor the dainty looking OEM strap which tapers down to an equally odd size 19mm buckle. Are there any sources other than OEM or custom to get straps in this size? Or is it possible to squeeze a more readily available 22mm strap in? I have a 22mm Helberg bronze buckle I could use. Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
That is sadly and oddball width that necessarily limits your options. I have only one watch with 21mm (Orient Star GMT) and it's a pain. I'm not an advocate of squeezing in a 22mm if it looks squished. But if the strap is soft enough you may get away with it. That said, this will be challenging as it sounds like you are looking at a beefier strap.

These may be of interest...

http://www.panatime.com/iwcrestr.html

They are IWC style straps by RIOS1931 for Panatime, among which are actual 21mm sizes. Although they still drop down to 18mm. They're also not cheap but don't know your budget.

The other site where I have seen legit 21mm options is Strapcode but can't speak to their quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
60,706 Posts
I've seen piccies of straps fitted into slightly narrower lugs and they don't look half bad so I would buy a 22mm strap and a crowbar without hesitation (the crowbar bit was just me being silly, besides, I've already got one)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the Panatime tip, I had checked under the straps by size tab and nothing listed under 21. I saw a few on Strapcode but also with a taper. I think bronze looks better on a beefier vintage style strap.

PS: a few years back I was in New York for a few days and called Panatime to see if I could visit in person. They don't really have a storefront but they allowed me to come up to their Hudson Valley office on the train and treated me very nicely. Ended up buying several straps for my then new Panerai and have continued buying from them ever since.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Contact Aaron at combat straps. He has been making canvas straps for your watch that look amazing

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a straight 22mm blue canvas with bronze ARD buckle from Aaron at Combat Straps.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Amazon actually has a few 21mm straps.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a straight 22mm blue canvas with bronze ARD buckle from Aaron at Combat Straps.
You will not be disappointed! I hope you will keep us updated with pics when the strap arrives.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I got my bespoke canvas strap from Aaron at Combat Straps yesterday just a week after ordering! Great quality and I think it is way better than the scrawny OEM strap. I asked for a straight 22mm and he supplied a bronze buckle. It's not exactly the same color but I put the watch in lemon juice to lighten its patina, then buffed and torched the buckle to darken it. From experience, the difference will become less noticeable as they age.
IMG_3262.JPG IMG_3259.JPG IMG_3261.JPG

·
Registered
131 Posts
Installed the 22mm strap from my Oris Air Racing Edition V onto the Carl Brashear. A bit of a squeeze, but not bad at all. :)

17949799_10154689129328736_1366293496_o.jpg
17949960_10154689254328736_1444695986_o.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts