WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Editing for emphasis and clarity, as some people seem to have missed the direction of the question:
I am NOT asking for advice on whether I should/should not spend $$ on a strap. I know I am free to do whatever I please. I usually find that the straps that meet my standard / satisfaction can be found for under $50. But I am game, and am willing to go as high as $200 if I see one that is truly special. And it would not matter to me that the watch the strap is for costs less than $200. Many of my Seikos would qualify, I'd imagine.

My question is:
Do you try to optimize the "beauty" of whatever watch you wear, by changing the strap, no matter the cost? Or, do you follow the "logic" of value proportion so as to make sure the strap is NOT more costly than the watch?

I've read in many threads people implying or stating that it's 'silly' or even 'ridiculous' to have a strap that is more costly than the watch it is connected to.
I myself don't think this way at all, nor do I see that there is any "logic" to support what I see as an irrational prejudice. If this "logic" were to hold true, then I also should not be wearing shoes or belts/buckles that cost more than my pants; or a tie/cuff links that cost more than my shirt; or own/read a book that costs more than a semester's tuition, etc.

It seems to be that every element in one's overall getup, while working in concert with everything else, could/does also work independently.
So in that sense, if a $100 watch - assuming one loves it -- looks its best on a strap that costs $200, why would it be absurd to do that?

By contrast, some people also believe that an expensive watch should not be worn on a NATO, or a strap of such level of quality.

Where does the "logic" of proportion with regard to price/value come from? How is it justified? :think:
I don't think it can be justified in any way: it's simply a "moral value": one subscribes to it or one does not. Whachuthink?

·
Registered
180 Posts
There is no room for logic when it comes to our hobby.
I assume that most people who would use logic on such a decision, look at buying a watch, as a necessity. If that were the case, than they would not have bought a watch to begin with. A cell phone tells the time aswell, and I guess it is a common gadget.

In my view, a watch a every bit a jewlery as earrings, bracelets etc. Therefore, I agree with the OP.

·
Registered
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And I agree with you.
Yet, there does seem to be a certain consistency in the other way that people vote on this, and I was curious to know why people think that way.
Speaking of jewelry, especially men's jewelry, again most guys (in the US at least) come down on the side of 'none' to 'very little' - preferably "non-decorative" and "functionally symbolic" = wedding band. And this preference is clearly socially PREdetermined, such that the individual comes to conform to it later. In other cultures, and in most ancient/primitive cultures where people conformed more rigorously to the idea of gender binarity, separation of labor/spaces, etc, this value varies for the same reason: social predetermination regarding the value of male ornament.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Probably wouldn't spend more on the strap than the watch and why would you? There are some really good straps out there for less than $50 from brands such as Di Modell so i would always be content with that.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The most expensive strap I've been tempted to buy was $60, and if I put a $40 clasp on it it's a $100 strap.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Omega wants to charge the outrageous amount of $4,400 USD for a new Speedy.

Does that mean that I have to get a $8,800 USD strap for my Speedy? Ouch!

I make due with as $14 USD NATO strap on it, and it looks great!

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
I buy lots of leather straps from Walmart for $7 to $15. They seem to hole up fine and no one knows the difference. I also do though buy some pretty decent straps from some of the vendors of WUS. It just depends on the watch and what I want to put into it.
cottontop

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
A $0 addition is best when you like the strap the watch comes in.

You should get what you like regardless. If you don't feel like spending that much, then you shouldn't.

I understand that custom straps can get expensive. So, are you looking for a "fair" price, more than a justification to spend a large amount on a strap? Check out Brian's straps, he makes stingray, elephant, python, shark, croc, etc. straps for $85 custom; I've bought a few from him already.
bjstrap — Home

·
Registered
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Omega wants to charge the outrageous amount of $4,400 USD for a new Speedy.
Does that mean that I have to get a $8,800 USD strap for my Speedy? Ouch!
Well, that would be absurd obviously. One can't take the example 2:1 ratio I gave (100 for the watch, 200 for the strap), and extrapolate it in a linear fashion. There would be a point at which it would taper off. I'd imagine that point where the two would/could reach parity in price would be around 2~300, I don't know.
But I have seen straps and bracelets no better than your $50 brand that go for $3~400, so I figure someone buys them.

Eagle, since you're a big Seiko enthusiast, lemme ask you: Suppose you found a hand-made strap (ostrich, or some such), uniquely colored, with a super cool buckle, that makes your specially modded Seiko (say, SKX007) look like a Billion bucks. How much would you be willing to spend on such a strap?
THAT was the main thrust of the question:

How far are you willing to go to OPTIMIZE the beauty/uniqueness of your watch, IF it was within your power to do so by changing the strap? except it's gonna cost ya a pretty penny.

·
Registered
41,221 Posts
:-s What's to think about, I just put on an expansion band and you'd be hard pressed to spend more
than 40 USD for one, plus with care they'll easily last 20+ years.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
That's an interesting question. In the past, I think this may have played a bigger role than it does today, given the prevalence of online resources.

There are several strap makers that frequent the various watch fora peddling their goods, not to mention eBay. So, when I am looking for a new strap, I don't need to shell out the brand levy to get a good strap. Instead, I just go to one of the many strap makers who are perfectly capable of making a strap that's comparable in quality with added customizability.

For instance, I recently fell in love with steve-0-straps, and had him make me a Snakebite Strap in the style shown below (his pic):

But I wanted certain other things around wrist sizing, buckle, and such that he was easily able to accomplish (my strap):

To me, this is simple yet easy way to customize your watches to meet your style and needs.

So, at the end of the day, while I like to get good straps for my watches, I don't necessarily think I have to shell out the big bucks to get a brand-specific strap. I will, however, spend whatever I think is necessary to get a *good* strap that meets my needs. Except in the case of perhaps Seikos (and this is a compliment to the brand), I do not think my strap costs will exceed the watch costs.

·
Registered
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probably wouldn't spend more on the strap than the watch and why would you? There are some really good straps out there for less than $50 from brands such as Di Modell so i would always be content with that.
I myself have yet to spend more than 50.
But that's bcz I have had no need for better/more expensive straps. Yet.
I did see a guy here on WUS (In Europe he is... Poland?) who makes some fantastic straps. I think they go for a lot more.
Ostrich leg or something. Dark green. Etc. The texture looks amazing.
What I was asking was: Would you put that on a watch you love that cost less (say, a Seiko) than the strap?
Yes, I would, if it turned the whole ensemble into a one of a kind dazzler.
And a lot of people would reject the very idea precisely, and ONLY bcz they do not like the idea that the strap should cost more than the watch.

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,680 Posts
I've got no rules. Does not matter to me whether I am wearing a cheapo vintage Timex with an expensive ostrich strap or an IWC on a Nato or rubber strap. More important to me is that the combo fits the purpose.

Damasko on a 10 Euro orange rubber strap (was wearing this combo when trekking through the Dolomites).

·
Registered
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fantastic strap!
You're the only one to have understood and addressed the question by the way. So, extra cookies for you!
(I edited the thread starter for greater clarity, I hope.)

I recently fell in love with steve-0-straps, and had him make me a Snakebite Strap in the style shown below (his pic):
But I wanted certain other things around wrist sizing, buckle, and such that he was easily able to accomplish (my strap):

To me, this is simple yet easy way to customize your watches to meet your style and needs.

So, at the end of the day, while I like to get good straps for my watches, I don't necessarily think I have to shell out the big bucks to get a brand-specific strap. I will, however, spend whatever I think is necessary to get a *good* strap that meets my needs. Except in the case of perhaps Seikos (and this is a compliment to the brand), I do not think my strap costs will exceed the watch costs.

·
Registered
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
An aristocratic and soldierly answer! I like! :-!

I've got no rules. Does not matter to me whether I am wearing a cheapo vintage Timex with an expensive ostrich strap or an IWC on a Nato or rubber strap. More important to me is that the combo fits the purpose.

Damasko on a 10 Euro orange rubber strap (was wearing this combo when trekking through the Dolomites).

·
Registered
15,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am with ya, but sometime ago - maybe you saw it too? -- there was a thread that featured a VERY expensive (and beautiful) watch on a NATO, and a lot of people got upset.
But a handful of people - me included - thought it looked just great.

For me no rules. A Rolex Sub on a $10 Nato is cool as well as
a cheap Russian on good leather. Granted the % is a little different : )

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Fantastic strap!
You're the only one to have understood and addressed the question by the way. So, extra cookies for you!
(I edited the thread starter for greater clarity, I hope.)
I'm awesome, yet again. So what's new?

I am with ya, but sometime ago - maybe you saw it too? -- there was a thread that featured a VERY expensive (and beautiful) watch on a NATO, and a lot of people got upset.
But a handful of people - me included - thought it looked just great.
I remember the thread. But here's something to think about. Watch straps are like shoes. While you may very well wear sneakers or penny loafers with your bespoke suit, that does not change the fact that the combination is an eyesore.

Sometimes, the sum of the parts can bring down the most elegant of parts to the lowest common denominator. So, I doubt the reason for being upset had anything to do with the cost of the strap, but rather that some of us found the combination unnerving, and quite honestly, ugly.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
The only ratio of strap to watch that makes any sense to me involves the appearance of one to the appearance of the other. Unless you plan on wearing the price tag on the strap, once those spring bars are in place you are the only one who will know how many hundreds of dollars or cents you paid for a strap. Just go based on looks. If you like NATO straps then go for it. If someone else doesn't like the look - just ignore their comments.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts