WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a watch with a strange style of lug (an Orient M-Force actually).. where it looks as though it would fit a 22mm strap, but when you look at the underside of the watch, the lug spacing is only 18mm. That makes an 18mm strap look way too small, but a 22mm isn't possible to attach. The watch was meant for a specially fitted bracelet that came with it. Basically, I need a strap that's something like this (sorry for my crude drawing):

So the question is, where to get one?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
You could commission one of the many custom strap makers on this forum to make you one.

Or get a 22mm strap and notch it yourself.

Either one of those options would be the best bet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bump, I just recently acquired a Vintage Bulova that has the same strange style of lug. Anyone successfully did it?

·
Premium Member
9,179 Posts
That's not odd, it's downright demented. And foolish. And GREEDY.

Yah, either contact Croton and see if they have a strap...and the price isn't your first born...or you'll have to go custom.

Note to self: never, ever, EVER even think of buying a Croton. OK, I never would before.

I think Invicta lost its place atop the Worst Wrist Pollution Creator list.

no-time: Look at the sticky here at the top of the topics list. Browse the web. Look through the posts here. Look at Etsy

·
Registered
378 Posts
Croton said $75 + shipping to UK + tax, so over $100.

I've emailed two UK strap makers, waiting for reply.

Need to go thru the stickies now..

Any ideas approx how much it'll be for a leather basic strap?

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Problem is what you want is not just a basic strap, so you could be left with having to send your watch to your maker of choice, so they can build specifically for what you have.

Croton said $75 + shipping to UK + tax, so over $100.

I've emailed two UK strap makers, waiting for reply.

Need to go thru the stickies now..

Any ideas approx how much it'll be for a leather basic strap?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Sorry OP! didn't mean to hijack your post.....yours is pretty simplistic and I'm sure there are a bunch on here that can hook you up with a decent strip of hide.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hmmm and I thought the planet orient presented a problem with their strap design. Would be interested in what the Orient M Force attachment looks like. I am going to release my Citizen Calibre 2100 as soon as I tire of it (and replace the scratched crystal) due to it's funky strap attachment. The designers of such watches should have to wear them for an extended period of time prior to the watch going on sale. Perhaps then the strap attachment would not be so novel.

·
Premium Member
9,179 Posts
Sorry OP! didn't mean to hijack your post.....yours is pretty simplistic and I'm sure there are a bunch on here that can hook you up with a decent strip of hide.
Note the date on the OP. Doubt he'll mind. :)

But, yeah, I suspect that sending the watch to the custom maker is going to be the safest route.

grindaur: nah. Just curse them to wear nothing but the original strap/bracelet on every watch they buy.

Plus, we should continue the quest to educate! Down With Crazy Lugs on basic watches!!!! Buyer beware, look for these and Just Say NO!!!

Reactions: SHANE 1000

·
Registered
378 Posts
Problem is what you want is not just a basic strap,
By basic I meant other than the convex end (which does not need to be very precise for my needs) a basic design, material, buckle.

Yes I did overlook the odd lug design, based on the limited photo's I saw. Watch makers can be so 'off', but then Croton can argue it's 'artistic'. But at $75 for their strap, sounds more like 'financial narcissism'.

If anyone knows any UK custom strap makers, do let me know please. I am looking though...

PS. its my first mechanical watch, hence the mistakes

·
Registered
218 Posts
i really want to try to make the strap but kinda worried about the end.

i want to ask, is it half circle shape end..??

·
Registered
378 Posts
View attachment 11218874 View attachment 11218882 20170317_214752.jpg 20170317_214847.jpg 20170317_214948.jpg 20170317_215052.jpg 20170317_215107.jpg 20170317_215440.jpg 20170317_215615.jpg 20170317_220013.jpg
Please see photo, Its kind of half-circle, but not a perfect circle.

Inside the circle, from the left pin hole to the right pin hole, its 12mm, so all the weight/stress of the watch will be on the 12mm, so it will need something to make it stronger, maybe double layer of the material around fold. So when you fold the material over the pin it will be 12 mm wide, if you use the second fold, it will have to be around 10mm, because of the curve that gets smaller as you go nearer the end.

If you PM me your email, it will be easier.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
Think you will have a problem here does not look to be enough space to allow for the wrap of leather around the spring bar/pin. Had that issue on my M Force EM04 so even though I was quite taken with the yellow dial and the case design (other than the strap connection) I returned it to the wild. If I keep my Citizen Calibre 2100 it will probably be subjected to the milling machine to romove the STUPID middle piece on the case. With the removal and some judicious thinning of the lugs it just might get a proper working leather strap. I do not see any hope for that with the placement of the hole in the Croton.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I purchased an 26 mm rubber silicone strap and cut it with a knife, i cut too much off and the rubber seems to soft to hold the weight of the watch, so its a fail.

I had an old £2 cheap Chinese leather strap and that worked quite well, its doesn't look that bad, I'm wearing the watch. So I might buy a 26mm cheap leather strap to cut again. I have an old NATO belt, which I might have to make a strap, i have an idea how to fit it around the 10mm curve in the middle, nothing to loose.

Photo's coming up.

Think you will have a problem here does not look to be enough space to allow for the wrap of leather around the spring bar/pin. Had that issue on my M Force EM04 so even though I was quite taken with the yellow dial and the case design (other than the strap connection) I returned it to the wild. If I keep my Citizen Calibre 2100 it will probably be subjected to the milling machine to romove the STUPID middle piece on the case. With the removal and some judicious thinning of the lugs it just might get a proper working leather strap. I do not see any hope for that with the placement of the hole in the Croton.

·
Registered
378 Posts
.... Had that issue on my M Force EM04 so even though I was quite taken with the yellow dial and the case design (other than the strap connection) I returned it to the wild. If I keep my Citizen Calibre 2100 it will probably be subjected to the milling machine to romove the STUPID middle piece on the case.
Your issue seems easier to hack a NATO strap for, that's assuming your can live with a hack. If you buy a NATO strap the width of the inner lug measurements (which looks about 12mm) then you cut a whole in the middle for that middle lug and thread the pin thru using a non-spring bar pin.

If i get round to doing mine, i'll show you.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It has taken 3 years, I have been playing with making straps during that time and today I finished a strap similar to the OP's issue. I had a Planet Orient back over 6 years ago and let it go because of this very issue. I am cheap and did not want to pay the $75-$100 they were asking for a leather strap. Presented is my first attempt at making a two color like the original leather strap. Just need to find a better orange die (not a water based like this was).
P1010020.JPG
P1010020.JPG
P1010021.JPG
P1010022.JPG
P1010022.JPG
P1010020.JPG
P1010021.JPG
P1010022.JPG

1 - 19 of 19 Posts