WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night i noticed the crown on my seiko samurai hardly needed any turning to release and secure. i also noticed it seemed to need pushing in quite a distance before engaging. i therefore think the thread has partially stripped. it might be worth noting that the crown is titanium. is this a common problem? also, should i get it fixed before it fails completely?

·
Registered
527 Posts
From what you said, I would probably have it fixed. It's water resistance may be compromised. Also, I like it when the watches I wear are in top-notch condition. Luck, mate.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Even if the crown and threads are titanium, you would have noticed resistance or the crown screwing in unaligned, if in fact a thread or two are stripped. Do you remember anything like this happening? You should. If not, then there is probably nothing wrong with it. I do notice on some watches the threads get smoother over time as they get more use. Sometimes, oils from your skin can make it to the threads and make them feel smoother. It sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i got the watch second hand. initially the thread felt gritty and a little difficult to get started. that has gone now but instead there appears to only be about half a turn between starting threading and the crown seating. this is very little. i have a stainless steel seiko samurai so i compared the thread on that and noticed that as well as having more turns the thread engages without pushing the crown in much. on the titanium one the crown has to be pushed back quite significantly before it threads. i must abmit, i am a bit baffled. for sure, it is not right.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, the crown thread is definitely stripped. i had a look with a x12 loupe and can see 4 turns on the tube. so, how do i get this repaired in the UK? is it best to contact seiko directly?

·
Registered
526 Posts
That sounds weird. I'd be busting my brain if I had stripped the threads without even noticing it happening. Maybe a thread or two were stripped when you bought the watch, and the debris and grittiness caused damage to the rest.
Call a Seiko service centre in your area.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i retrospect, i think the thread was definitely damaged before i got the watch. the strange thing is the previous owner claimed to have bought it new and just didn't 'bond' with it, so decided to sell. and the watch was and still is in A1 condition, bar of course the current problem. there are absolutely no other signs of wear and tear at all.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so, i took my watch into my local seiko AD to be repaired. i've just had a phone call telling me that because it's a foreign model i've got to return it to seiko myself to get a quote and to get it repaired. is this normal???

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, All of the JDM watches are usually not able to get repaired locally-
they wont have or have access to the parts.

The samurai as far as I knew was not available in the states or Europe.

You could try to buy a stainless crown new, and see if it will thread.
or you could try to buy titanium crown, but that would be harder to find.

Try chronograph.com - even though that model is bascially discontinued, you might be able source the parts.
If that does not work, contact Kseiya or Higuchi and see if they can help
purchasing parts or sending to them who will send it to Seiko Japan if it gets that far.
kmc

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i've now heard back from seiko UK. they won't even give me an estimate for the repair without sending the watch off. :-( obviously an unnecessary expense if they can't fix it or the price is too prohibitive. also, and this surprises me, they say that if the tube is damaged as well as the crown then a new case will be required. :-( given the vulnerability of the tube to such damage i'd have expected it to be replaceable without such drastic action. so far, compared to other watch manufacturers i've dealt with, i'm not too impressed. :roll:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Remember that this is a mass produced case which is sold at a very affordable price. The crown tube is an integral part of the case so can't be replaced ....Seiko (UK) have very little idea of what is sold beyond their own limited range and have problems servicing even that .....

Talk to Lee WW at Chronograph.com and see what he can obtain for you .....

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The crown tube is an integral part of the case so can't be replaced ....
the crown tube has to be an insert as it's stainless steel and the case is titanium.

Seiko (UK) have very little idea of what is sold beyond their own limited range and have problems servicing even that ....
you're filling me with confidence!

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
my seiko AD won't touch the watch even if i can get parts! the excuse given was the risk that the watch malfunction during it's intended purpose, ie: diving, despite the fact that i don't dive and wouldn't sell the watch claiming it to be pressure tested. moreover, what sort of diver would buy a second hand watch and risk their life using it without having got it checked out first? i think this is going to be either a DIY job or the watch will get retired.

PS: the crown tube is apparently rivoted into the case. damage the thread and it's a new case. hardly a good design even at this price point. :-(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts