WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Rado DiaStar 153 0430.3 with diamonds on the side. I am looking for either original or aftermarket quality replacement. My local Rado guy wanted $2100 because he is not able to buy just the glass and it has to to be an entire case according to him. I called Rado and they quoted $500 just for part plus labor. Any ideas where I can get the aftermarket crystal? Ebay has a few similar ones, but not the exact size.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Send it to Rado to get it done right. Then sit back and enjoy the watch. Going cheap won't get you the best results.

I will use Rado as a last resort, if I can't find anything else. THey said their backlog is 4-6 months

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got a call back from Rado Service Center $1017 just for part. For a piece of glass plus additional labor to put it in.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
the problem here is the unique shape of the crystal ...

depending on where you are, if there are watchmakers around, I definitely give them a visit and see if they have any spare crystals that are similar or know where to get them,

best of luck ~

OP, you could try online watch part shop (ofrei, esslinger, etc)

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
lol. Average crystal is a few bucks. Exotic stuff is fiddy (for generic). Some of these rado's are a hundred!

I can absolutely fabricate one from Shinkolite. If I knew you and liked you - @25.00 plus the material (a full sheet for ME! and an epoxy kit @ $5 and shipping). And this one won't shatter - well at least not easily anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the problem here is the unique shape of the crystal ...

depending on where you are, if there are watchmakers around, I definitely give them a visit and see if they have any spare crystals that are similar or know where to get them,

best of luck ~

OP, you could try online watch part shop (ofrei, esslinger, etc)
Local guys will not touch it. They are quoting the same price in thousands because Rado will only sell them glass with a case and because of diamonds, it is really expensive. Emailed ofrei, no response.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Local guys will not touch it. They are quoting the same price in thousands because Rado will only sell them glass with a case and because of diamonds, it is really expensive. Emailed ofrei, no response.
Dependent upon the radius and length and width perhaps even a G & S for a Gruen, Elgin or Tavannes (xl) curvex might be adapted to it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol. Average crystal is a few bucks. Exotic stuff is fiddy (for generic). Some of these rado's are a hundred!

I can absolutely fabricate one from Shinkolite. If I knew you and liked you - @25.00 plus the material (a full sheet for ME! and an epoxy kit @ $5 and shipping). And this one won't shatter - well at least not easily anyway.
One guy has a glass crystal locally which will shatter he said and it doesn't have the foil strips on the sides, so it kinda looks ugly he said. I found one on ebay that is wider than what I need, because of the diamonds. I am wondering if it is easy enough to cut it down to size. This looks almost identical, just too wide. Rado Sapphire Crystal Black Boarder with Silver Lines Curved 18 0 x 23 0 x 0 9 | eBay

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
uhhh . . . . you realize that you didn't post the best picture uhhh . . . . don't you?

One guy has a glass crystal locally which will shatter he said and it doesn't have the foil strips on the sides, so it kinda looks ugly he said. . . . . .
Be kind of hard to make this model any uglier than it is (or was). lol.

. . . . . . I found one on ebay that is wider than what I need, because of the diamonds. I am wondering if it is easy enough to cut it down to size. . . .. .
Someone experienced in cutting crystals can do it easily if it's mineral glass. Diamond wheel and a little water.

if you would to fabricate one, how do you know the correct sizes?
Remove the old one and measure it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
uhhh . . . . you realize that you didn't post the best picture uhhh . . . . don't you?

Be kind of hard to make this model any uglier than it is (or was). lol.

Someone experienced in cutting crystals can do it easily if it's mineral glass. Diamond wheel and a little water.

Remove the old one and measure it.
Ok, the watch is at my jeweller, I will pick it up sometimes next week to see if I can remove the glass without it falling apart.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Ok, the watch is at my jeweller, I will pick it up sometimes next week to see if I can remove the glass without it falling apart.
Hey Ek:

Even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while.

http://boley.de/en/referenz/rado/1329?search=153&page=2

Find a European watchmaker with a Boley account to order it for you.

BUY TWO (2) OF THEM!

Don't bother to thank (or blame) me.

pithy

uhhh p.s. . . .. uhh .. . . order the right color. p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh wow....did it come up in Google? Will look for someone to order it for me. They will not send to US, will they?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts