WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi y'all!

Please bear with me as I literally just bought a cheapy macro lens for my phone and have been messing around with it. Not bad for USD10........

Feel free to post your own :)

I can't wait to take photos of my other watches now!

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Great shots! I've toyed with buying a cheap macro lens. I wasted a good half an hour the other week trying to take a nice, clear photo of just a signed crown before concluding I just didn't have the tools for the job.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Great shots! I've toyed with buying a cheap macro lens. I wasted a good half an hour the other week trying to take a nice, clear photo of just a signed crown before concluding I just didn't have the tools for the job.
Thank you. Yeah, the standard focus on my phone is awful for macro shots and I have to take photos then crop them before posting.

It is a breeze with this handy little lens kit! And yes, I had to crop this photo before posting :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Ha!

Perfect timing ;)

I was checking taobao already for those iphone lenses.

For that amount of money, it is worth a try :) ...and actually, your results are not bad at all!

..and off to Taobao we go.

Romain

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ha!

Perfect timing ;)

I was checking taobao already for those iphone lenses.

For that amount of money, it is worth a try :) ...and actually, your results are not bad at all!

..and off to Taobao we go.

Romain
I didn't want to go the TB route and it took me a week to find this set in Hong Kong. It seems they are not very popular here and the ones available usually are the clip-on type and not the magnetic one I wanted. So glad it found it :)

My manager wants me to buy one for him too. What do you expect? A similar lens kit (with one more lens) costs USD50 online!

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
I'd like to talk about lenses.:) I also collected some vintage Chinese lenses that are almost unknown to the world outside of China. You may have heard about Nikon ultra micro lenses that was designed for making computer chips back in 1960's, and was made to optical theoretical limits. But few people know that China also made similar lenses back in 1970's that demonstrated the country's technical prowess like those VCMs did back then.
Here is a lens that is marked People's Republic of China on the front ring, and I have never seen another lens marked so. It a counterpart of Nikon's ultra micro 28mm F1.7 lens that are often listed on the flea-bay for very high prices. The build quality of metal parts is like that of Leica lenses. Interestingly, The brand name is also Dongfeng (east wind). the lens was made in 1978 according to its s/n, and was made in Fujian province.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Folks, for an iPhone I strongly recommend the Olloclip which is a three in one: macro, wide angle and fisheye.

Only ever use the macro.

Ric

Ric, thanks for the advice and proof.

On Taobao the Olloclips sell for roughly 500 RMB, which is like 60 euro...the one from hked is the 10th of that price...

It is the question now, if it is worth the difference. Will have to think about it...

Romain

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ric, thanks for the advice and proof.

On Taobao the Olloclips sell for roughly 500 RMB, which is like 60 euro...the one from hked is the 10th of that price...

It is the question now, if it is worth the difference. Will have to think about it...

Romain
I specifically looked for the magnetic sticker lens kit because it fits on almost every phone and I don't need to remove the phone case to use it.

The results are not bad at all, considering my simplistic set-up of phone, lens and hands :):) The price is good and I doubt I will use the wide angle or fish eye lens anyway.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I specifically looked for the magnetic sticker lens kit because it fits on almost every phone and I don't need to remove the phone case to use it.

The results are not bad at all, considering my simplistic set-up of phone, lens and hands :):) The price is good and I doubt I will use the wide angle or fish eye lens anyway.
That is what makes me thinking to go for the same solution (more possibilities with cell phones and the other lenses will not be used)...

I mean, if I really want / will later get into macro-shots, I will have to step it up and get a real macro lens for the DSLR.

So I understand correct, that your lens has 2 parts, one part that will be fixed to the phone around its lens (with a sticker?) and the lens you can take off at will as it will be temporarily fixed via the magnet?

Romain

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
That is what makes me thinking to go for the same solution (more possibilities with cell phones and the other lenses will not be used)...

I mean, if I really want / will later get into macro-shots, I will have to step it up and get a real macro lens for the DSLR.

So I understand correct, that your lens has 2 parts, one part that will be fixed to the phone around its lens (with a sticker?) and the lens you can take off at will as it will be temporarily fixed via the magnet?

Romain
Well, strictly speaking three parts. The sticker with metallic ring, a magnetic macro lens and a wide angle lens which screws into the macro lens.

Ummm, I tried taking photos with a wider focus but the focus area is very narrow, unlike the ones taken by Colin. Take a look at the ones I took this morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Well, strictly speaking three parts. The sticker with metallic ring, a magnetic macro lens and a wide angle lens which screws into the macro lens.

Ummm, I tried taking photos with a wider focus but the focus area is very narrow, unlike the ones taken by Colin. Take a look at the ones I took this morning.
Thanks a lot for those, I see the differences now also compared to Rics model.

I will sleep over my decision which one to order on TB on Monday ;)

Romain

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was inspired by this post and I thought I'll buy one as well.
So I searched the internet first.
By doing so I found out that my phone (HTC One) already has got a macro mode built in.
And it works OK
So I need to thank you hked

1 - 17 of 17 Posts