WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone own one of these? I'm thinking about getting one, despite the movement, because they look so cool...a nice homage to the originals (I don't like to wear my vintage sputniks too often).

It is hard to tell from photo, but it looks like the "satellite" might be on a kind of chinchy clear plastic disk or something. If someone has one, I'd like to read your thoughts about it. Also, is it my imagination, or is the dial a bit see-through? Hmmm...I never figured a quartz movement would be interesting to look at.

P. Maier GmbH Shop - Sturmanskie Sputnik

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,193 Posts
I dunno about that one. :think:

It looks great in the pictures, but my feeling is that the whole orbiting spacecraft thing is going to look disappointing when driven by a 1-second stepper motor.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dunno about that one. :think:

It looks great in the pictures, but my feeling is that the whole orbiting spacecraft thing is going to look disappointing when driven by a 1-second stepper motor.
Oh, that's a very good point.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
That is a pretty cool watch! You're right the dial does look kinda see-through, you can see the coil to the left of the globe, kinda strange on a Quartz watch.

If it had a Russian movement in it I would consider buying it, however the price isn't that bad; I imagine if they made it with a mechanical movement it would be a bit more pricey. I say if you like it, go for it!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Russia2all still has this one -- also with a clear disc, but with a real Poljot mechanical 2614 movement

View attachment 1054004 [/QUOTE

I just checked Russia2all's website and looks like you would have to drop Craig an e-mail to find out if he can get his hands on one of these beauties
;-) ... fortunately I own both the silver (steel) and gold version ... IMHO the silver looks better, they didn't do a very good job on the gold plated version, it's yellow gold :roll: and we all know that russian gold is rose gold ! ... if you can get one of these beautiful timepieces ... DO IT :-! !! you won't be sorry ....
Regarding the new Sturmanskie models they look OK but it's a japanese quartz

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the thoughts and comments. I've seen that other one before, Mister Mike. It doesn't turn my crank quite like the other one does. I like the homage to the vintage look a bit more. I wasn't initially bothered by the quartz movement until Chascomm pointed out it would have the stepped action. The jerky stop-start movement of the "satellite" in orbit might bother me (the thought kinda reminds me of when I was a kid learning to drive a manual shift). Still, I'll probably buy it.

I guess if I want the smooth motion of a rocket driven by a mechanical movement, there is always this beauty:

ON SALE Soviet watch Russian watch Men watch door SovietWatches

Honestly, I wish I knew what some sellers were thinking! Seems like he Sputniktized a few of his watches.

il_570xN.448740501_414w.jpg il_570xN.448734718_k53h.jpg

·
Registered
824 Posts
I might like that Sturmanskie if not for the Japanese quartz movement. If you can't get a Poljot-designed movement for it anymore, then call up Vostok and order a batch of 2409s. You absolutely need continuous motion on the second hand to pull that kind of design off.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I have a mechanical sputnik, but I like this quartz version too. The Miyota movement is ok: maybe not fancy but accurate and dependable, not a crappy plastic thing :-!

2034_2.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts