WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, All:

I am doing some research for a friend and was wondering if you guys could recommend some sub $1000 casual dress watches to me??

OR

Two really good watches for under $1000 total.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
The two that I would recommend for "casual" dress watches are:

1) The Movado Kingmatic Chronograh (val 7750) around $500.
2) The Tissot PRS516 Automatic (ETA 2824-2) arounf $250

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hammys, Ball, and Tissot. There are many others, but these are class acts and big bangs for the buck.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Snorkeler I was just over there stealing a pic of a Stowa Marine Original for my suggestion! Great minds eh?
I think some of the other suggestions, while great watches, lean more towards "sporty". A Marine Original is right at your 1000$, but really fills the bill I think, a Marine Auto is quite a bit less btw:

Pics from the Stowa online shop.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions...I'll let him know.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Don't want to rain on the Euro-Centric parade here but the best bang for the buck is definitely NOT European it is Japanese.

There are a good number of Seiko's that are better quality and more watch for the money than the European alternatives IMHO.

The Spirit line is in the $250-$350 range and meets and exceeds the quality of most $1k European watches (again IMHO).

There are some other lines within the Seiko brand that are under $1k that are fantastic too.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
...There are a good number of Seiko's that are better quality and more watch for the money than the European alternatives IMHO.

The Spirit line is in the $250-$350 range and meets and exceeds the quality of most $1k European watches (again IMHO).

There are some other lines within the Seiko brand that are under $1k that are fantastic too.
For me, the problem with the Seiko dress line is that most of the watches are 38mm, maybe 40mm. I wouldn't buy such an old design, I like 'em ~42mm. There is a new auto Seiko that goes on the 'bay for US$650-$800 with power reserve, this may be the start of a trend at Seiko for nice dress watches to complement the diver line (of which I have four).

And while the Seiko auto movements may be cheap, they are not as accurate as the ETA movements, esp out of the box.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
For me, the problem with the Seiko dress line is that most of the watches are 38mm, maybe 40mm. I wouldn't buy such an old design, I like 'em ~42mm. There is a new auto Seiko that goes on the 'bay for US$650-$800 with power reserve, this may be the start of a trend at Seiko for nice dress watches to complement the diver line (of which I have four).

And while the Seiko auto movements may be cheap, they are not as accurate as the ETA movements, esp out of the box.
Really. Interesting assertions. :roll:

First, they are not "old" designs. Some folks actually prefer watches in the 37-40mm range and don't like wearing a
saucer for a tea cup on their wrist.

Second, the movements for the non-Divers (i.e., not the 7s series) are as accurate out of the box as the 2824-2 line which is the workhorse of the Eta line.

Third, the Seiko Autos sold in the US and the Divers sold Grey Market in the US are NOT the same movements that I am talking about but then most Americans don't know about Automatic movements and most WIS don't really seem to know about the range of Auto movements offered by Seiko either.
- First there is the 6R15 movement. Better finished and more accurate with a better power reserve than the 7 series and equivalent in nearly every regard to the 2824-2 from Eta.
- Then there is the
9S37 Chrono that is a Val 7750 equivalent but with 40 jewels.
- Or you could look at the
8L35 that comes in the Marine Master.
- Or there is the
8L21 that is in the Brightz line.
- Or even the
9S55 Automatic movement with 26 jewels from the Grand Seiko line.

There are others but I think that says a lot about rash statements about Seikos and the auto movements. Yes, the 7 series are rough and are notorious for needing to be regulated. However, once regulated they also have a solid reputation for accuracy and they certainly have a far superior reputation regarding their robustness in comparison to the Swiss automatics available.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I am surprised that no one recommended the Tissot T-Ring, especially the black dial - just to remind y'all that it was one of my Christmas gifts in 2006! You can pick one up at www.classybrand.com for $311.00 Shipped. :gold

·
Registered
815 Posts
I would recommend Seiko 5's. |>

Starting at about US$50, they are elegant, reliable, and they have a see-through caseback. And most(if not all) the dress watches are about 36mm.

There are many many different designs to choose from. :)

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
I would recommend Seiko 5's. |>

Starting at about US$50, they are elegant, reliable, and they have a see-through caseback. And most(if not all) the dress watches are about 36mm.

There are many many different designs to choose from. :)
Agreed :-! . I picked mine up for $49.95 off of ebay.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I am surprised that no one recommended the Tissot T-Ring, especially the black dial - just to remind y'all that it was one of my Christmas gifts in 2006! You can pick one up at www.classybrand.com for $311.00 Shipped. :gold

That is a beautiful watch. May be my next. That or a Hamilton Jazzmaster power reserve. I could save alot of coin with the T-Ring though. Nice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts