WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

since most of these are now on the Doxa site. Here are the dimensions of the Prototype. It looks like the production model is the same size. These were taken eyeballing a steel tape so they may be a fraction out

Case Length - 47mm (maybe 48)
Case Width - without crown 45mm, with crown 48mm
Lug width - 21mm
Bracelet 21mm tapering quickly to 20mm over whole length
Bracelet Thickness - 3.5mm
Height - 15mm to top of bezel (domed crystal adds less than 0.5mm to that height)

Weight for a 6.75 inch wrist sized bracelet 200g

Pete

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Lug width 21mm? On a watch that big? That's very disappointing as I would have liked to have seen 24mm...or at least 22mm.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Quoting Dr. Peter Millar from 2/10 thread:

Oh and before someone asks.... the width of the band is ....22mm. Man how many people are now leaping up and down :-!:-!:-!:-!

End of Quote.

Doxa or Doc, can you please confirm, I have placed an order based on lug and band width of
22mm. Not 21mm taping down to 20mm. To some this might be irrelevant or splitting hair, to me it is very important.
Thanks a million.

Daniel

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lug width 21mm? On a watch that big? That's very disappointing as I would have liked to have seen 24mm...or at least 22mm.
The case is approximately the same length and width as the 750T but thicker. Though not as thick as the 600T-Graph. The bracelet is substantial and it works very well with the watch, better than the ricebead on the 750T and T-Graph in my opinion. Look at the photos of the watch. It is impossible to make the lugs 24mm. 22mm would also start to make the distance between the edge of the lugs and the side of the case very small and would have not looked good, in my opinion. I think it is just about perfect but again just my opinion. I'm dead against wide bracelets unless you have 8 inch wrists. The 5000T has bags of wrist presence, wears small and is very comfortable for being a big watch. A 22mm wide bracelet would have added a whole bunch more weight to the watch.

Pete

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quoting Dr. Peter Millar from 2/10 thread:

Oh and before someone asks.... the width of the band is ....22mm. Man how many people are now leaping up and down :-!:-!:-!:-!

End of Quote.

Doxa or Doc, can you please confirm, I have placed an order based on lug and band width of
22mm. Not 21mm taping down to 20mm. To some this might be irrelevant or splitting hair, to me it is very important.
Thanks a million.

Daniel
Daniel,

the 22mm was in the information I was given at the time. I didn't have the prototype then. The clasp is actually a little wider than 20mm from what I remember (not wearing the watch today but will check later) but the actual width of the links is 20mm. Sorry for the mix up but I was just working on the info I had at the time.

Pete

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was just pointing out the conflicting info, i know i'm not the only one who thought we were getting 22mm here! ;-)

D.
Heck, David, I thought they were 22mm too. Not that I wanted 22mm but I know some people did. To be honest I've kept stum on the dimensions in case the prototype used 20mm and the production model did indeed have a different case size, lug width and bracelet size, but from what is on the Doxa site (21mm lugs) it would seem very unlikely that they would now use a 22mm bracelet.

Personally I believe that when people get their hands on the 5000T they will forget all about the bracelet size. the watch is beautifully proportioned and wears tremendously well.

Pete

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Indeed 1mm isn't fundamental here! I'm just glad to see a more solid bracelet, not quite sure of the polished rows though, will see how it looks in the flesh. ;-)

D.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That watch rocks no matter what the band width is. I say dont sweat it, that thing is incredible!!! I understand the (possible) dissapointment but Dr. Pete was just trying to acquire (maybe steal) as much inside info for the Doxa faithful as he could. In the early stages most of the intel will be approximate. I hope the 1mm isnt a dealbreaker for some. They would miss out on a great watch.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Was just pointing out the conflicting info, i know i'm not the only one who thought we were getting 22mm here! ;-)

D.
I agree. Not that this is a huge issue, but still many of us purchased under the belief that it was 22mm. This kind of mistake would have been identified immediately, why not let us know when posting the buy links?

·
Registered
856 Posts
It bothers me now that I find out that it is not 22mm. I am not blaming Pete. he is just the messenger. I agree with some of the folks here that, it should have been cleared up at some point of time prior to a lot of us ordering the watch so at least we were aware of what we were ordering.

Apart from all the good things about this watch, the 22mm lug width was a big deal for me as it is such a standard lug width with a lot of my watches.

1 stinking mm is not a big deal to many but in my case I have a lot of 22mm high end leather straps that I was planning on using on this watch. Hopefully, I can squeeze them into the lugs.

Oh well. Wait and see, I guess.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,598 Posts
.................. in my case I have a lot of 22mm high end leather straps that I was planning on using on this watch. Hopefully, I can squeeze them into the lugs.

Oh well. Wait and see, I guess.
I have known of several guys here on the forum that were able to squeeze 22mm straps onto the 750T case. Several said that they would prefer that over using the smaller 20mm strap

·
Registered
413 Posts
Same here on the 22mm, I ordered a high end strap for this watch at 22mm. Hope it fits. Wish I knew, so I wouldn't have ordered it [the strap that is].

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chaps, in fairness probably part of the reason I was told it was a 22mm bracelet is that the clasp is a definite 22mm. I took a quick run home and just measured it.

I personally don't think it matters a bit. Just to show you. Here is a pic of one of my favourite watches; Seiko 6138. It has a 19mm lug and I use a Poljot 20mm leather strap. Fits like a glove. So 22mm strap on a 21mm. Easy peasy :)

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
People, I think the 21mm lug width is perfect for the watch, considering that the width of the watch is 45mm, unchanged really from the 750. Unless you widen the case another 2 mm, the way the case lugs look would be kind of awekward. You would lose that squarish horizontal line and the lugs would look sharp-like, like the Seiko 3609. It wouls be more prominent if the lug width were increased to 24mm. As long as the case width remains at 45mm, the 21 mm lug width suits the watch just fine. I know that we want to wear those thick panerai-style straps, but I really like the Doxa bracelet, especially how it looks and feels on the wrist, and I don't think anyone has complained yet as far as hor the Seaconqueor looks with the bracelet. It looks well balanced and probably will wear well-balanced as well.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,598 Posts
............but I really like the Doxa bracelet, especially how it looks and feels on the wrist, and I don't think anyone has complained yet as far as how the Seaconqueor looks with the bracelet. It looks well balanced and probably will wear well-balanced as well.
I have kept my mouth shut about this but I don't ever plan on taking off my bracelet. I know some guys like their straps, and I am not faulting them for that, but I love the doxa bracelet. The GMT bracelet is thick and very comfortable. I feel strongly that the 5000T will be as good, if not better.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If it is 21mm, will the 750 rice bead braclet fit? or is the case too thick in which case would the end links from a t-graph fit?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts