WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again!

A little while ago I started a thread looking for a white dial sporty dress watch for around $1k (here).
I ended up ordering this Maurice Lacroix but when I received it I realized that even a sporty dress watch is too dressy for me and I also realized that colors are enhanced in most stock photos and much less vibrant in real life. Luckily I was able to return it without any issues (thumbs up for excellent customer service at overstock!).

After another month or two of scouring the web I believe I have come to the conclusion that I would rather get one really great sports watch at a higher price if necessary than to settle for something cheaper that I would not be completely satisfied with. With that I've also opened up to other dial colors.
So I'm now looking for the following:

1. Movement: automatic, no chronograph (somehow it doesn't speak to me and I love a large sweeping second hand)
  2. Design: sporty, I seem to prefer divers, should work well with polo shirts and jeans. Must have some color in it, bezel, dial, hands, whatever. I love blue and orange accents, but other colors might work too. White dial preferred.
  3. Price: below $5000, I'm looking for a well established brand. Used or grey market would be OK.

So far I've compiled the following list of candidates (with pictures below, everybody loves pictures!)

1. Omega Seamaster AT 231.10.42.21.02.002.
  2. Omega Seamaster PO with orange bezel
  3. Tudor Grantour Date with white dial
  4. Tudor Black Bay, probably the blue version
  5. Breitling Super Ocean Heritage, white or cream dial with blue bezel
  6. Longines Heritage Legend diver (not sure about the color accents though, need to see it in real life)
  7. Rolex Explorer II (outside of my price range for the version with the orange GMT hand)

My question is not which one I should go for, but what watch or brand did I overlook?

I've also considered but rejected the following
  1. Edox, a bit too sporty/extreme in its designs for my taste
  2. Steinhart, quite a few homages, would leave me wanting the original
  3. Oris, designs are a bit too round for my taste.
  4. Helson and deep blue, too much professsional diver, not for me.

For the patient readers, here are the pictures (all shamelessly stolen from the web):
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Premium Member
22,577 Posts
I would choose a preowned older model polar Explorer II, which is about $4K.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Seeing as you stated you prefer a white dial and want some colour I would say the Breitling is the one that ticks the boxes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would choose a preowned older model polar Explorer II, which is about $4K.
A pre-owned Explorer II would be a good choice however all of the watches you have listed are quite large (41mm minimum I think on the Tudor Heritage, followed by 41.5mm on the Omega). The previous model Explorer II at 40mm wears quite small IMO. Just a consideration if the size of the dial is important to you.

·
Registered
543 Posts
This is what I'm currently intrigued by:

IWC Vintage Collection Aquatimer 3231-01...
148791d1229235473-what-horizon-kobold-non-kobold-iwcaquatimervintage.jpg

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
You've mentioned Longines, but I'll throw this one in the pot just in case you missed it. It's a real stunner in person and quite the hybrid as far as versatility goes. The blue is particularly attractive, but you could buy all 3 and still come in under budget:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
All are great choices...Glad I don't have to choose one....:-!

·
Registered
363 Posts
With your budget and affinity for some color, consider a used Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine. Hits all of your criteria spot on and should be more fun than a Rolex or Longines. I get more compliments on my UN than any other watch.

As to your question about the Legend Diver, the color is very understated. It is supposed to be more of a patina than an accent color.

My UN Maxi Marine Titanium Diver. It's a bit big, but most Maxi Marines run 42mm.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409838798.301719.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
All of your choices are great but I would say the rolex explorer used should be your first choice followed by the breitling SOH

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Seeing as you stated you prefer a white dial and want some colour I would say the Breitling is the one that ticks the boxes.
I think your search starts and ends with the SOH, too. This pic of samanator's makes me giddy every time I see it:

soh samanator.jpg

As for brands you may have missed, have you considered Maurice Lacroix? I really like their Pontos S Diver. The black one compares directly to the Longines Legend Diver that's on your list (I prefer the ML, for what it's worth), while the silver one is more rare (but seems to fit in with your light dial preference).

pontos.jpg

I'm also a huge fan of Muhle Glashutte, the only independent, family-owned watchmaker in Glashutte, Germany. These two models in particular are fantastic (in my humble opinion): 29er Big on the left, M29 Classic on the right.

29erBig-W.jpg M29Classic-W.jpg

In fact, my new M29 should arrive this afternoon. :)

·
Premium Member
22,577 Posts
How about the IWC Ingenieur?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts