WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi - I often read on this forum that the Rolex Sub is the definitive, much copied, never equalled, classic designed, iconic diver. Its legendary status is well deserved & numerous other manufacturers produce watches that are clearly design influenced by Rolex sub's features - some are almost exact replicas with different maker names!

My question is - was the original Sub's design aesthetics (tweaked but not changed in 40 years) created by Rolex or were there other watch manufacturers who designed similar looking watches before Rolex - black dialled, black bezelled, hour markers, similar case design etc etc??

I owned a 1970's Zenith diver that was almost identical to the sub; clearly certain Omega, Tag, Seiko, Marathon & Blancpain divers share aesthetics with some models very similar - but was the iconic Sub design their own or reflective of trends seen in other watch houses?

Thanks

si

·
Registered
345 Posts
i read somewhere.. cors that might be a crap source of infos.. that the original diver as it is today was some blanc pain 40 phatoms...

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Try posting your question on the Rolex forum. I'm sure Maverick can give you the definitive answer.

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts