WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi - I often read on this forum that the Rolex Sub is the definitive, much copied, never equalled, classic designed, iconic diver. Its legendary status is well deserved & numerous other manufacturers produce watches that are clearly design influenced by Rolex sub's features - some are almost exact replicas with different maker names!

My question is - was the original Sub's design aesthetics (tweaked but not changed in 40 years) created by Rolex or were there other watch manufacturers who designed similar looking watches before Rolex - black dialled, black bezelled, hour markers, similar case design etc etc??

I owned a 1970's Zenith diver that was almost identical to the sub; clearly certain Omega, Tag, Seiko, Marathon & Blancpain divers share aesthetics with some models very similar - but was the iconic Sub design their own or reflective of trends seen in other watch houses?

Thanks

si

·
Registered
345 Posts
i read somewhere.. cors that might be a crap source of infos.. that the original diver as it is today was some blanc pain 40 phatoms...

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Try posting your question on the Rolex forum. I'm sure Maverick can give you the definitive answer.

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts