WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Damasko DB2
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe this topic has been mentioned in various forms, but I haven’t seen any one with this exact situation comment before. I purchased a DS30 last fall, and it kept nearly perfect time. Like maybe varying a second a day, if that. A month or two ago I purchased a DB2 (based on the ice-hardened DA3x case). Very soon after, I noticed my DS30 running quite fast, around 20 seconds a day fast. I’ve heard that somethign about the ice-hardened case material of the DA3x is highly prone to becoming magnetic. Not an issue for the watch itself due to the iron inner core, but if this is true, it’s pretty annoying that it magnetized my other watch. I guess if I were to have just the one watch, it would be irrelevant as its magnetism doesn’t affect it, but if I/anyone else has other non-ice-hardened watches, are we going to just have to deal with these becoming magnetized more frequently? Similarly, would the tegmented SINN watches have the same problem?

·
Registered
Damasko DB2
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I believe this topic has been mentioned in various forms, but I haven’t seen any one with this exact situation comment before. I purchased a DS30 last fall, and it kept nearly perfect time. Like maybe varying a second a day, if that. A month or two ago I purchased a DB2 (based on the ice-hardened DA3x case). Very soon after, I noticed my DS30 running quite fast, around 20 seconds a day fast. I’ve heard that somethign about the ice-hardened case material of the DA3x is highly prone to becoming magnetic. Not an issue for the watch itself due to the iron inner core, but if this is true, it’s pretty annoying that it magnetized my other watch. I guess if I were to have just the one watch, it would be irrelevant as its magnetism doesn’t affect it, but if I/anyone else has other non-ice-hardened watches, are we going to just have to deal with these becoming magnetized more frequently? Similarly, would the tegmented SINN watches have the same problem?
PS, I checked with a magnetic field app on my phone (not sure how accurate these are) and the DB2 was off the charts magentized. The DS30 seemed to be slightly magnetized though not even close to that of the DB2. Whether the app is reliable or not, it seems to support my hunch.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Wow. I do not know how the DB2 or DS30 would get magnetized unless they were subjected to a rather intense field.
The DIN 8309 anti-magnetic spec applies to both watches. It is a fairly decent spec. (Just how decent I do not know for certain.)
Seems that perhaps some investigation needs to be accomplished to locate the source?
You should go get the watches machine-tested for magnetism and de-magnetized is this is indeed the issue.
I cannot comment on the magnetic properties of the hardened-steel DAMEST-coated DB2. The DS30 seems to have Submarine steel.
Both watches are "surfaced hardened."
Maybe give Greg Stein at Watchmann.com a ring or an email. He may know something about this.

Reactions: TheStoicLife

·
Registered
37 Posts
If magnetized, watches run slow, not fast. My DA36 has no such issues, its my daily beater since 6 years, and quite often lays next to an Iphone or Ipad, even when I try to avoid this. Shocks and/or temperature can cause your problem, no big deal, needs to be regulated. And I really don't see a DB2 magnetize a DS30, pretty sure that is nonsense...

·
Registered
Damasko DB2
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If magnetized, watches run slow, not fast. My DA36 has no such issues, its my daily beater since 6 years, and quite often lays next to an Iphone or Ipad, even when I try to avoid this. Shocks and/or temperature can cause your problem, no big deal, needs to be regulated. And I really don't see a DB2 magnetize a DS30, pretty sure that is nonsense...
Totally agree that this seems strange. I‘ve taken the DS30 through airport security etc, but that’s about it (and even after that no change in timing). It suffered from no drops or anything even close, and no temp change. I’ll likely just try a demagnetizer at some just to see. I am planning to send it in to Watchmann anyway for a crystal replacement, so if it just needs regulating I’ll have them do that at that time. I am still curious if it’s possible for the specific steel used in the ice hardened watches to become magnetized (even if it doesn’t affect the watch’s performance).

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,687 Posts
If magnetized, watches run slow, not fast.
Nope.
Nivarox balance springs are very commonly used and are made of a temperature-compensating material which, in certain unfavourable circumstances, becomes magnetised. Irregularities in the rate of the movement are therefore the result of a magnetised balance spring.
The watch tends to run fast, very fast often. Magnetizing causes touching coils of the hairspring, resulting in faster beat. The only reason a magnetized ballance would run slower should be a regulator issue. Or another issue that has nothing to do with magnetizing, like a friction issue somewhere in the movement.

·
Registered
Damasko DB2
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@StufflerMike and @WatchMann thank you for clarification (and just overall great insight in general on the forums). This may not answer my question directly, but does seem to confirm my DS30 is magnetized. Have a great week everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Nope.
Nivarox balance springs are very commonly used and are made of a temperature-compensating material which, in certain unfavourable circumstances, becomes magnetised. Irregularities in the rate of the movement are therefore the result of a magnetised balance spring.
The watch tends to run fast, very fast often. Magnetizing causes touching coils of the hairspring, resulting in faster beat. The only reason a magnetized ballance would run slower should be a regulator issue. Or another issue that has nothing to do with magnetizing, like a friction issue somewhere in the movement.
So good to have you back, Mike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Please apologize for my statement. I was 100% sure that magnetized watches run slow. Anyway, I cannot imagine a DB2 magnetizing a DS30, but I'm not an expert. Hey Mike: good to see you back. We need your knowledge and engagement :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I tried to mount a wrist compass to the NATO strap on my DC82, but found that the case affected the magnetic compass. Watch runs like a champ though, well within COSC spec and thus the soft iron cage must be doing its job!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
it's well worth degaussing the ice hardened watches. Mine had a run in with a pretty strong magnet, and it was still keeping OK time. ~10-12 seconds a day. I demag'd it, and it's within 1-2 a day. I suspect there are many damasko users out there who think their accuracy is plenty good who could see really excellent results with a quick degaussing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts