WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any forum members have a Marathon SAR automatic (Marathon watch product code WW194006) I'd appreciate a note of how it compares on the wrist to the Sub750T (any side by side pictures would be great), and any other observations (weight, accuracy, reliability etc). I also have a Sub300T reissue, Sub600T, old 250 sharkhunter, a couple of GMTs and Sub1000Ts, so comparisons to these DOXAs would make sense to me as well, but given its size I think the Marathon would be closest to the Sub750T.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Bill.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The Marathon SAR,TSAR,GSAR,and SAR-D wear nothing like the Sub 750T series. While the case height is roughly equal the Sub 750T sits flatter on the wrist and is more well balanced. MWR's site claims the case diameter of the SAR is 46mm but that includes the crown. It wears more like 42mm and sits very tall on the wrist - top heavy

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for such a helpful (and quick!) reply

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
For me the SAR is a poor relation - flimsy build quality (esp. the bracelet) and the fit and finish much lower, well it is like a $600 watch after all. I particularly remember the dial and hands being very rough. Hope this helps. ;-)

Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Here are wrist shots of my Sub 750 and my G-SAR. THe G-SAR does not look near as big on my wrist as the picture makes it out to. I think it looks kind of small on my wrist myself. It does sit very tall on the wrist as stated. The Sub 750T IMHO is the ultiment wearing watch.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I loved my TSAR, and now my GSAR. That being said my 5000t is waiting for me in San Francisco. I think the marathons are great for their price point, and are very much a tool watch. I love tritium too. All that beind said, I fully expect my Doxa's to be in a whole different league. Also with the SAR, GET THE BRACELET.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The Sars and Doxa are in a different league. Both great watches, both unique. I own a TSAR, the quartz version, and the CSAR, the big daddy chrono version. The TSAR is more of a beater out door watch and is a little small for me. It would be perfect if it was about 2mm bigger and the same height. The CSAR is almost a little too big, if there is such a thing.

Regardless my main rotation, given all the watches I have, is the CSAR and a Doxa GMT. Hope that helps. ;-)

·
Registered
543 Posts
hello to all,
It is Friday night. I am quite tired from this week work load. But I need to say something here now. I own a Marathon ETA 2824-2 watch. And also a few more Doxas. I can't stand any form of a stupid attitude.....
There is a point where we're talking about pure enjoyment !!!!
And I'll tell you, I enjoy my TSAR watch 100% of it!!!!
When I need to work around the car, the gocart, the woodshop, even the house, I try to wear my marathon TSAR....
When I come home from work, and I " might " work on the car, the house or the space craft ?, then I wear a Doxa.
Get it ?
You don't need to enjoy one in order to shoot down any others.....
Peace and love.
Thierry

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
I can't stand any form of a stupid attitude.....
What are you talking about? No one is giving an ounce of attitude, just honest opinions about both brands. I don't get it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I own several Doxas (Vintage 300T, a 600T, two 750Ts, and a 1000T) and a Marathon SAR. This may be blasphemy, but I actually find the SAR to be more comfortable that the 750s and 1000T. Yes, it does sit up high due to the tall bezel, but the short case back allows it to sit flatter and more stable on my wrist. The 1000T is probably the worst offender here, and the length of the case on the 750s make them a tad uncomfortable for my 7 inch wrists.

But, I like all of them. Each has a uniques feature all it's own and I enjoy them all for that reason.

Smurfe, what kind of strap is that on your G-SAR?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Definetly different opinions here but thats what makes life interesting right? ;-) Imagine if we all did the same thing and liked the same stuff! :roll:

I also previously owned 2 TSAR's and they are VERY capable watches. I also love the Marathon bracelet. Very well made and different centre links which complement the watch really well.

I've also owned several Doxa's and presently have two. Again, I love my Doxa's especially the 1000T which I find wears extremly comfortable for me, more than the TSAR. I think the TSAR is more comparable to the 1000T with similar heights and dimenasions. The 750 is lower and wider so will wear differently.

The only thing that didn't do it for me and the TSAR is the dial. After a while I found it a bit to busy. Not at all like the simplicity and cleanliness of a Doxa dial :-!.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just tuned back in to see if there had been any more posts in reply to my original query (I'm in the UK and on a different time zone to most of the members) and I would like to thank you all for the information. I'm looking for a fairly chunky and unique beater for tasks that I usually wear my Seiko BM for - and if it gets broken, no real big deal (whereas I have my Sub300T reissue on at present and I really wouldn't want to lose that one). I generally prefer automatics hence my initial drift towards the Marathon model that I quoted but the latest quartz issue is a bigger version (the so called JSAR) and I'm pondering that one as an alternative.

Bill.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sorry for my earlier post if I was the one with an attitude. I apologize for it.
I just feel like most good watches do compete on a fair par ( design, materials, mechanics, weight etc...) and are not necessarily in different leagues. Even if one is much cheaper than another one.
And my comment about working on a spacecraft was just a little humor about being prepared while wearing my Doxa for the unexpected !!! Some dive, some look up at the stars....
Anyhow, my Marathon is a good watch, kind of a tough classic (black dial ) inexpensive fellow. While I do work sometimes wearing one of my Doxas ( I'm a furniture maker ), I would not dare to work on the car with one : the thought of crashing it against a sharp piece of metal is just too much for me.
But there the Marathon feels good....
Bye.
Thierry

·
14,594 Posts
Sorry for my earlier post if I was the one with an attitude. I apologize for it.
I just feel like most good watches do compete on a fair par ( design, materials, mechanics, weight etc...) and are not necessarily in different leagues. Even if one is much cheaper than another one.
And my comment about working on a spacecraft was just a little humor about being prepared while wearing my Doxa for the unexpected !!! Some dive, some look up at the stars....
Anyhow, my Marathon is a good watch, kind of a tough classic (black dial ) inexpensive fellow. While I do work sometimes wearing one of my Doxas ( I'm a furniture maker ), I would not dare to work on the car with one : the thought of crashing it against a sharp piece of metal is just too much for me.
But there the Marathon feels good....
Bye.
Thierry
Thierry,
I have to agree with you. When I do certain Jobs there is no way that I would wear one of my Doxas. I have an inexpensive beater that I wear and do not care about. One problem is that it is quartz. I keep reminding myself that I do not have to keep it on a winder, but I still hate having a quartz watch. I guess I have just become so accustomed to the sweeping second-hand.

I think the Marathon looks to be alright, I have just never seen one in person..........

·
Registered
95 Posts
jclevoy, get one of the Marathon automatics with Tritium. Its a great tool watch. A pretty good price too. I'd probably part with mine for one of you Doxa's =). Mine even keeps extremely good time. I guess not all of them do. Its nice to have a watch that you dont have to worry about at all. I agree with frogon, to work on a car, or any tight space I would take it off, Its offly tall. Looks good on it, but man I do bang it into things!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The TSAR, SAR, JSAR, and CSAR are certainly not flimsy watches. In fact, they probably exceed most watches out there in terms or durability. It is a fact that they are government issued military watches; not poser watches and are of an almost purely tool nature. Having owned a TSAR and SAR, Ican attest that for the money, they are some of the best valued rugged divers you can buy at any price. The bracelt is actually extremely well done, durable, and a well known point of quality when it comes to those who havepurchased the watch and bracelt; it's one of the best bracelets out there.

Size-wise, the SAR watches wear like a Rolex sub. the bezel is high and chuncky, and though the case size is "only" 40mm, it actually wears kind of big. When I compare my 750 pro to the TSAR, I have to say, they do not really wear that much different in terms of feel.

Now, is it fair to compare a watch costing around 500.00 to one that is 4 to 5 times the price? Not really, but then again, each watch should probably be judged on it's own merit.

I look at it this way. To me, if you want a watch that is more military in nature withthe pedigree, then the SAR is certainly a consideration. Others in this category would be of course the CWC, and for way more bucks, an FF or even Panerai, but the SAR fits the military diver category.

If you want a watch built for a commercial diver; one withthe pedigree, and of course, the Clive Cussler connection, the unique case design, and of course the defining color, the go for the DOXA.

Either way, each is a great watch, one that you can wear daily. buy the one that you like the most, or buy both.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I'll try to get some pics of a GSAR Auto and my 750T before the sun goes down. What everyone says is true. Both are good watches but, different. The GSAR wears better on a Zulu than the 750T. Both are tool watches. I compare my 1000Ts more with the GSAR in size. Maybe I'll take a pic of all three.

Joe

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
can only show you the SAR on a 6.5" wrist

1 - 20 of 27 Posts