WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of buzz when they were first released, but I haven't heard too much about these monsters lately. 49mm diameter, 20mm thick. They are starting to appear on the 'Bay for around $1600 and Amazon for a bit more. That's not too bad for ANY watch with a 7751 moonphase movement, and WAY down from the initial retail price.

I understand that Invicta has had quailty control issues, but how bad can it be when the movement is outsorced from ETA?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Somehow this watch seems to have too much black going. This is coming from a guy who likes PVD/DLC type watches.

Good argument though. Any thoughts from owners?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Not for me

Too much going on.:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart

·
Registered
679 Posts
I don't own one, but I do like the way it looks. To me, the black is what makes it all the more interesting.

I've noticed that a lot of people here on WUS like to turn their noses up at Invicta, but look at it this way: Invicta sell tons of watches each year. If their quality was that bad, nobody would be buying them. My opinion is if you like the watch regardless of the brand and can lay down the cash on one, then buy it and enjoy it. That's what having a passion for watches is all about.

Granted, I presently only own one Invicta watch (an inexpensive model at that), but it's dependable, good looking and it's one of my favorite watches to wear. I enjoy every bit of the watch and the elitist caché it lacks.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Contrary to popular opinion in here, there really ARE watches that are just TOO BIG for mortal wrists.
That one certainly qualifies unless your wrist is 8.5" at least I'd guess.
Even at 1600 you'd not flip it for more than 1200, if that.
Some shaky CS stories about Invicta but probably many more good stories we just never hear of.
I think it's a pretty cool watch if one has the arm to pull it off.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've owned a few Invictas in the past, and though they're no Omega, they seemed to be pretty decent for the price I paid for them. I see lots of people on the forums knock Invicita, but at the same time give lots of love towards other brands at similar price points. IMHO, I think it's because Invicta produces so many models, so many of them seem to knock other manufacturers' designs and because they're more fashion (mostly) than functional. That said, go with what moves you.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think the 7751 movement really belongs in a dive watch. By nature, a dive watch is supposed to be able to withstand lots of punishment and be as low maintainence and worry free as possible. The 7751 is about as complex as it gets for mass market watch movements, with LOTS of moving parts & delicate stuff. Invicta would need to do some serious shock proofing to make this one as bulletproof as a cheap & simple Seiko diver.

But wow, this thing would have amazing wrist presence. I dunno, I think I'd be just as happy with the new Franken-Tuna Seiko 5 for the same effect.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I agree with Steve6387. There's a lot going on. The size isn't an issue for me tho and I'm sure it ain't all bad. b-)

·
Registered
11,690 Posts
WAY too busy for me and it is the antithesis of what a dive watch should be, i.e., uncomplicated and easy to read at a glance.

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
First of all there is waaaay too much going on on that watch. It looks like the designers didn't know when to stop and say enough is enough.

Second of all, yes it has a Swss ETA movement but if you can't get satisfactory customer service from the company if and when you need it what good is it. This watch is like pulling an engine out of a Ferrari Modina and bolting it in a Ford Pinto.

I have owned several Invictas over the years and have sold all of them. I actually had the Subaqua Noma II for about two days before I returned it. Let me just say my personal experience with Invicta's customer service was about as pleasurable as listening to a Clay Akin CD o|.

For those of you that have not had the pleasure of dealing directly with Invicta's customer service, here is my first-hand experience;

- March of 2006 I purchased a new Subaqua Noma II from a reputable dealer. One day later the bracelet broke. One of the permanent factory press-fit link pins pulled out and the bracelet separated. I took it to my certified watch repair guy I use, he said yes, the part was defective.

I contacted my dealer I purchased the watch from. He did not have another one in stock, and didn't know if he would be getting another like it. He would take the watch back and refund my money in full if that is what I wanted.

I wanted to keep this watch and have the band replaced since it is brand new. I sent Invicta customer service an email..... no reply. I sent their repair department an email..... no reply. I called customer service..... on hold for 19 minutes. Service rep tells me they don't warranty the bracelets even on brand new watches. AND GET THIS, she said I can buy a new replacement bracelet for $700.00!!! yes, $700.00!! I asked to speak to a Customer Service Manager, "Sorry none availabe". I asked to speak to a Product Manager, "Sorry no one is available".

I called back to the receptionist explaining my situation. She took my name and number and said a Customer Service Manager would call me that after noon...... no returned call. :rodekaart

Needless to say, I returned the watch to my dealer for a refund, and will not be dealing with Invicta again. o|o|o|

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
It's funny really how just the mention of that word (INVICTA) in regards to watches , causes a strange ripple amongst the masses, I have owned a ton of them and although the quality might not have been the best, it really was not that bad either on some select models and considering the price too, the first Subaqua is really well made IMO and time keeping within cosc standard with it's Val 7750, I'm not ashamed to say the Invicta is in my collection, I have been tempted with the Sub III, and the only thing that has held me back is the cluttered dial, if it had a none busy dial like a UTS then it would be a pretty nice solid clean tool watch.

I agree Customer service SUCKS the big one, it's like going to Israel and trying to get a Pork pie :-d

Take the Subaqua III and slap Zenith on the dial, and it would be received in a whole new light maybe??.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Exactly Shane.
Names are everything.

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
I've owned 3 of the subnomas, and all were perfect. just too damn big to wear.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
...Take the Subaqua III and slap Zenith on the dial, and it would be received in a whole new light maybe??.
I don't know about that, Shane. I seem to recall a number of folks being rather critical of the style of that Zenith.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I don't know about that, Shane. I seem to recall a number of folks being rather critical of the style of that Zenith.
Zenith Rolex????? just a use of a well Known name $$$$$ brand.

·
Banned
451 Posts
I just purchased one with the ETA movement. No need for the 7750 when my Admirale is coming in.

I happen to like the look of the watch. If I want to go diving I have watches that are made for that exclusive use.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Zenith Rolex????? just a use of a well Known name $$$$$ brand.
I see your point. Folks are pretty quick to jump on Invicta because of the name.

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
That Noma does nothing for me, but I've had good experiences with Invictas in general. I've owned a few low end models that I ended up giving away, and they're still going strong as far as I know. They also make some of the best looking women's watches around IMO, and my wife loves the two that she owns. That being said, they clearly have a CS problem, and I would never buy an Invicta costing more than $150 or so. In that price range, if it goes to crap in a year, I wouldn't feel bad cutting my losses. But when you get above that range, there are just too many better options from more reliable brands like Seiko, Citizen, and Orient.

As far as bad experiences with customer service goes, I'm sure we could bring up any brand and several people here would chime in with horror stories. I personally love Seikos and have owned dozens over the years, but in my experience, their USA warranty service is complete crap. Fortunately, the watches are so reliable that I rarely have problems, so it doesn't stop me from buying them. Given the number of watches that Invicta sells, I have to assume that not everybody hates the company, because they keep chugging along.

One other reason why I think Invicta is disliked in the collecting community is their blatant use of other brands designs. Having a Submariner clone is nothing new, but they have close copies of many Seikos, Tags, etc. It's never really bothered me, but some people really get bent out of shape by it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts