WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
Seems obvious but the reason is visual balance because sub dials are spaced equally around the dial center. I've got an Oris mechanical with a similar layout and I recollect seeing other triple subdial mechanicals laid out that way.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems obvious but the reason is visual balance because sub dials are spaced equally around the dial center. I've got an Oris mechanical with a similar layout and I recollect seeing other triple subdial mechanicals laid out that way.
Could you please post a picture or ref. number of that Oris?

Watches with subdials are mostly chronographs and I don't know any mechanical chronograph movement with such layout. It seems the vast majority of mechanical chronographs have one of the following layouts:
3, 9
3, 6, 9 (ETA 7753, ETA 2894-2, Lemania 1873... )
12, 6
12, 6, 9 (ETA 7750...)

Apart from chronographs there are subdials for date, power reserver, moon phase... But as I mentioned before, I have probably never seen a mechanical watch with layout 2, 6, 10 so any pictures witch such watches will be highly appreciated.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
My huge mistake. It is a Complication model with moon phase, day, 24 hour and date at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 respectively. I suspect it is easier to vary the placement of stepper motors than geared components.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts