WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Honestly I finally got a 16233 date just two tone. I know plenty of people will chime in and say it's a sport watch not a dress watch but for me it just feels better with a suit. I also try to match my metals and the two-tone makes that easy. I get away with wearing the two tone with silver or brass. I wear a blue blazer with gold buttons pretty often and it lends itself to that. It is purely personal choice. I can not stand when people point out that a watch is not "appropriate". In a world were I see apple watches at black tie events and on the wrists of business men in tailored suits I think the what watch is appropriate has gone out the window. I am fully guilty of being in the mood to put on my speedmaster and wearing that with a suite. Many will say it's wrong but the ones that actually realize it's wrong are very far and few between. So my reasoning for not wearing it with a suit is my personal opinion, if you like it wear it. It will be lightyears beyond all the guys sporting fitbits and apple watches in my opinion.
Your post just gave me a couple of good chuckles with images of recent fundraisers/black tie affairs where I would have guessed about 50% of male attendees were sporting Apple watches. Really bugs me (obviously bugs you too) but that's not to say everyone needs a Rolex or even anything Swiss. Just something nice and dressier feels like a must.

I suppose now that I'm thinking about it - a Submariner would look a bit out of place in a well-fitting suit. Thankfully - like yourself - that's not a daily worry of mine.

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
You think a fine vintage Rolex with a faded bezel has lost its allure?? Seems like you might be in a small camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure how you came up with that assessment. Maybe this is true within a select small community of collectors, but certainly not in the real world.

The overwhelming majority of those in the market for a Rolex are unlikely to join this forum, or buy vintage.

Watching a watch age on your own wrist and acquiring a lifetime of wear is certainly of interest to some, but there are certainly also plenty who aren't interested in buying somebody else's history.

There's a good reason why pristine vintage watches often command a higher price...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Not sure how you came up with that assessment. Maybe this is true within a select small community of collectors, but certainly not in the real world.

The overwhelming majority of those in the market for a Rolex are unlikely to join this forum, or buy vintage.

Watching a watch age on your own wrist and acquiring a lifetime of wear is certainly of interest to some, but there are certainly also plenty who aren't interested in buying somebody else's history.

There's a good reason why pristine vintage watches often command a higher price...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
You make a point. It just seems like medium use/wear vintage watches fetch a nice premium in their own right, but obviously can't contend with a NOS timepiece. I would just be shocked if 10 years down the line (or even 20) watch collectors begin to turn their noses up at slightly worn or scratched Rolex Submariner because of some shift in the world of watches. I could be wrong, of course.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Not often discussed, but UV resistant paints have come along way in the past few decades. Modern aluminum bezels may not see the fading that vintage watches had.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Not often discussed, but UV resistant paints have come along way in the past few decades. Modern aluminum bezels may not see the fading that vintage watches had.
Not brought up but a very strong argument for a 14060 bezel compared to a 5513 or earlier.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My watch shows wear that I put there. I like that. My watch is a part of my life and I show a lot of wear as well. "It ain't the years, it's the mileage". I guess I wouldn't be interested in a watch that showed a lot of wear if I wasn't the one that put it there. Almost like wearing someone else's shoes. Just aren't broke in right.

Watches that remain pristine just aren't my thing. My Rolex has paint down in the links somewhere and scuff marks from when I fell off Gothics in the Adirondacks and a hundred other stories. They are my stories, though. Not someone else's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
To me the 14060 bracelet is very light and is a big change from the heavier new bracelet with glidelok. That overall weight change makes a big difference in the feel of wearing the watch. So I prefer both the look and the feel of the 5 digits over the 6. So ceramic bezel means little to me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Great points. Is the benefit of ceramic in the newer Sub worthwhile when you lose the subtlety of the lugs from previous generations? I'm not sure I'm so keen on the squared lugs on the ceramic subs...
I have owned a 116613 and a 116610.
I prefer the look of the ceramic bezel, however, ultimately I prefer the case proportions of the 16610 which is why I sold both SubC for it. My wrist just couldn't pull off the bulk of the supercase.

·
Registered
578 Posts
i have had the SubC no date for 2y now and could not be happier. that watch is just a beauty. yes it pops a bit but not too much as it is still a 40mm watch. only people interested in watches will notice it and it is somehow way more discrete that many other watches (especially the cheap ones).
do i regret getting it vs a non C, no. i remember almost buying one 10y ago and recall the cheap bracelet being a turn off and remember telling myself, why is this watch so expensive...?
fast forward to now , i got lucky as i bought the C oversees at msrp and got detax and a weak local currency. i ended up paying exactly what a decent shape and non collectible non C will cost. it was a no brainer to me. better technology better looking and all for same price and brand new.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
For me, on one hand it was an irrelevant discussion. I was only going to buy a new watch from AD when I bought my Sub. That limited me to the SubC. Practically, scratch resistance for me is a huge feature. Just like I wouldn't prefer a crystal that isn't sapphire, I don't prefer a bezel that scratches easily. I do a lot of bushwhacking when backpacking/fishing and I am happy I can wear my Sub without worrying about scratches.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
For me, on one hand it was an irrelevant discussion. I was only going to buy a new watch from AD when I bought my Sub. That limited me to the SubC. Practically, scratch resistance for me is a huge feature. Just like I wouldn't prefer a crystal that isn't sapphire, I don't prefer a bezel that scratches easily. I do a lot of bushwhacking when backpacking/fishing and I am happy I can wear my Sub without worrying about scratches.
That's a good argument for ceramic, for sure.

·
Registered
263 Posts
14060m 4-liners are getting harder and harder to find. 5 year run is relatively scarce when talking about Subs. I only realized this after deciding I wanted one and had trouble finding a full set in the right condition. I’ve owned 6 and 5 digit subs and decided this is my perfect reference based on my taste. I prefer the lighter weight and slimmer lug profile.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Had both, aluminium for 30 years, never replaced the insert, never needed to. Yes it’s scratched but unless you walk around with a loupe showing it to everyone you don’t notice it. My daughter wears it as her daily now.
Replaced it with ceramic Deep Sea which has scratches after near 4 years on the case but zero on the ceramic insert. I replaced for readability and water proofing and not because of the insert. Not worn it since December last year. Not been diving since then. Prefer aluminium for daily wear if it’s Rolex.
My Son has a ceramic Sub date, daily wear but I didn’t bond with it over the old 5 digit. They’re just not that special. Bracelets are good on both. New ones are yet to prove they are as durable as the old ones. Old bracelets are both strong AND durable. Nay sayers will argue but most haven’t worn them for 30 years as daily’s and think that weight, heft and complexity of the new means value and robustness, only time will tell but seen as most 6 digit watches are babied it may be a while.
Logically an aluminium insert will take more abuse than a ceramic. Metal bends but ceramic cracks and splinters however aluminium will show those scratches where ceramic will either not or it will crack. Some have cracked ceramic inserts installing them. Not many cases of cracked or shattered I suspect because people are much more careful with their jewelery Rolex 6 digit than they were the 5 digits.
BLNR and 116500 are both different cases so quite why they are being mentioned here when it’s a Submariner discussion I don’t know (yep I do actually).
Why do air cooled vs water cooled Porsche discussions relate to aluminium vs ceramic Rolex bezels? The only similarity is that one is old and classic and proven tech’ whereas the other is newer, mostly more fragile and isn’t as cool.
Seems to me OP that you are doing a ton of window shopping. You started off at bezels, moved on to lugs and now we’re at dials, jeez.
Guy is looking for opinions on the internet, so he is getting opinions on the internet. The BLNR is not that different from a SUBC maxi case, albeit the depth and slightly different lugs, it is still a maxi case. The juxtaposition to the 116500 case only had to do with the size difference in the two cases, and MY reference point between the two size differences. As those are the two I currently own. For anyone looking to drop $10k on a shiny object, particularly their first time around, they are bound to have a variety of permutations of how this all plays out for them. At the end of the day, even if the OP makes a "mistake" and doesn't bond with it, he'll always have the ability to move on to another piece with very little downside. In case you also didn't get the analogy regarding Porsche, I'm simply referring to the fact that there are always two "camps." Those that are die hard aluminum bezel and "old school" and those that are into the "new and modern." Ask away OP, that's the whole point.

OP clearly hasn't made up his mind and is looking for a variety of view points to help weigh his options.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts