WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd question.

My son just joined the Navy, got high test scores and qualified for, and then volunteered for a Critical need job as a nuclear electronic tech on a submarine. (crazy kid) Apparently when you are on a sub they shift to 18 hour days, 6 on 12 off, repeat. I was trying to think of the perfect watch to get him. My thought is a 24 hour mechanical of some sort. I would think this would make it easier to adjust quickly to what time it actually is. I know he could get a digital and keep it in 24 hour mode. However after talking to him, what he would like is....

automatic 24 hour watch.
with good lume for low light conditions
preferably with rotating bezel that he can be used to clock out 6 hours/12 hours/18 hours.

Oh...and since I am buying it...preferably under $500.00

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
auto, looks to have insane lume, and only $250 :) has a youthful look to it as well.

EDIT: woops the 24 hour part didn't quite register with me for some reason...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
inhaus...is that a true 24 hour watch? do you have the model number?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Congrats! I'm sure you are very proud. May God keep him safe. Don't have any suggestions for a watch at that price point, but if you think of the perfect watch for his environment (explorer ii) and then add his requirement for a rotating bezel (gmt II) then at least you have a good idea of what to look for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Check out this NFW U.S. Navy Seal Edition Shumate Diver 11113. It's got great specs, excellent references and NFW is an American company based in Connecticut. The price is right to, regular $695.00, on sale now for $495.00

nfw_11113-b_zpsw3k4qjl5.png
U.S. Navy SEAL Edition

These watches were requested by, and designed for, the U.S. Special Forces Green Berets and one model for the Navy SEALs. The collection is named for Sergeant Major Walter L. Shumate, a legend in the Special Forces community and founder of the U.S. Special Forces Underwater Operations School.

WATCH FEATURES:

NOTE: THIS MODEL WAS MADE VIA SPECIAL REQUEST BY THE U.S. NAVY SEALS."

NFW – Store

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
38,380 Posts
The Steinhart Explorer (or a GMT) clone is perfect. We document everything in Zulu time and the 24 hour hand set to GMT will help him keep track.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I was thinking along the lines of a watch with an alarm to let him know when to do what next.
As far as a lot of water resistance, he won't need it - those things are pretty dry inside!

A Luminox - probably around 600 - but you get tritium tubes for reading it anytime, anyplace!

·
Registered
14,348 Posts

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts