WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,

I'm happy with my previous-gen MM300, and have no intention of upgrading to the newest generation, but couldn't help but noticing the SUBSTANTIAL price hike of the new model SBDX017 in Japan: Roughly a...... +33% over the previous price of 173,000 JPY. That is 1,910 USD now vs. 1,430 USD before! Probably Bic Camera will further discount the price vs. list (currently 10% off vs. 30% off for the previous model) as time goes by, but couldn't help but noticing that.

I'm a big fan of the MM300 and also have a 6159-7001 in the lineup, and I love both of them as icons of the Diving Watch Category, but I'm not sure I'd pay 1,900 USD for the new model, taking into account how the movement's precision is pretty much hit-and-miss (my previous-gen MM300 is roughly +12 Sec/day, my SKX007 beats that, both of them unopened, never regulated after leaving the factory).

Ah, by the way, my 1968 6159-7001 is way more precise than its grandson, at +5 secs/day. I love high-beat movements.

Enclosed a pic of the new MM300 at Bic Camera Yurakucho Friday last week.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Its not a substantial increase, just a much lesser discount on the MSRP.
The MSRP differences is barely 10% between the old and the new actually.

If you're looking at the same level of discounts as the 001, give it another 1~2 years when the demand for the new one has abated, it will drop to similar discounted prices.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it's a price hike because of a much smaller discount, as said in my post. Definitely it's going to be there for some time..... Wil be interesting to see if prices go down to the customary 30% discount, or this is a change in policy "a la Rolex".....

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
Recent government monetary policies pretty much ensure that prices will continue going up every time it's convenient.

I don't really have a problem with the new price. It's not the value to Seiko that's gone up. It's the value of our currency has gone down. It's going to get a lot worse, probably.

Buy hey, this is a luxury hobby, so if the dookie hits the fan, I can live with fewer watches. Seiko needs to do what they have to. I can either afford it, or not.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure I get you, Seiko manufactures in Japan with a JPY cost base, and either sells in JPN (currency neutral) or sells for export, let's assume in USD, hence having a higher profit margin in JPY.

It can be argued that some of their cost might be more tied to the USD than the JPY, but the rationale still applies. Works exactly the opposite way of what you state....

Anyway, we're talking watches not currency markets....

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
I'm not sure I get you, Seiko manufactures in Japan with a JPY cost base, and either sells in JPN (currency neutral) or sells for export, let's assume in USD, hence having a higher profit margin in JPY.

It can be argued that some of their cost might be more tied to the USD than the JPY, but the rationale still applies. Works exactly the opposite way of what you state....

Anyway, we're talking watches not currency markets....
I don't know what they make in Japan and sell outside of Japan. I just assumed since the watches are mainly JDM that they raised prices to make even more off international sales. Whatever.

You asked the question about the price hike. If you wanted to keep economics out of the comments then you should have said so, but it's an obvious factor.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Its not a substantial increase, just a much lesser discount on the MSRP.
The MSRP differences is barely 10% between the old and the new actually.

If you're looking at the same level of discounts as the 001, give it another 1~2 years when the demand for the new one has abated, it will drop to similar discounted prices.
^^^ This, exactly.

Well, it's a price hike because of a much smaller discount, as said in my post. Definitely it's going to be there for some time..... Wil be interesting to see if prices go down to the customary 30% discount, or this is a change in policy "a la Rolex".....
There's a 20,000 Yen / $165 increase in MSRP. It's a new model, and dealers are not discounting it as heavily yet. At the same time... I'm sure they want to rid their inventory of "old MM's", hence the further discounts.

Reactions: mcnabbanov

·
Premium Member
7,541 Posts
The MM300 is ridiculous without being regulated. I don't see why they even bothered with the MEMS parts. When I purchased mine brand new, the thing was off by +12s/d! After getting it regulated, it was +1s/d. What a huge waste of potential by Seiko.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^ This, exactly.

There's a 20,000 Yen / $165 increase in MSRP. It's a new model, and dealers are not discounting it as heavily yet. At the same time... I'm sure they want to rid their inventory of "old MM's", hence the further discounts.
It's a fair point, I agree. Let's wait and see, but it will take time....

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I think the diashield application is worth the increase in price. With that coating the watch will be more resistant to scratches and will hold up over the long haul.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I don't recall the SBDX001 being sold BNIB for $1430. More like $1700 at its best. Now the few remaining are selling for close to the SBDX017 on Rakuten.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the diashield application is worth the increase in price. With that coating the watch will be more resistant to scratches and will hold up over the long haul.
It's very true the previous version is a scratch magnet.... I've used it sparingly over the past 2 years and the clasp and bracelet are in such a sorry state.... Unbelievable.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't recall the SBDX001 being sold BNIB for $1430. More like $1700 at its best. Now the few remaining are selling for close to the SBDX017 on Rakuten.

Price at Bic Camera has always been around JPY 173,000, around, 1400ish USD.

·
Premium Member
7,541 Posts

I bought the SBDX001 around $1550 shipped a couple months back from Rakuten/Nagata Jewelry with Seiko International Warranty....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi, maybe I ask where did you have your MM300 regulated?

The MM300 is ridiculous without being regulated. I don't see why they even bothered with the MEMS parts. When I purchased mine brand new, the thing was off by +12s/d! After getting it regulated, it was +1s/d. What a huge waste of potential by Seiko.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Hi, maybe I ask where did you have your MM300 regulated?
That post was from 3 years ago. May wanna PM them directly for assistance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts