WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello!
I have been looking for a watch to gift my dad for a long time, i thought i could take suggestions from you peeps who'd know much more than me about them.
I want to gift him a decent automatic watch preferably under 200usd. i was looking for a watch with light colour dial and silver case. I've only come across few ones on aliexpress which i dont think he might like.
please do send in any suggestions,
thanks!
I'd you don't mind the brand, calvin klein infinite has an eta 2824 movement, sapphire crystal and display see thru caseback for 139.00 online. At least it's a swiss made automatic.....

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Whatever you choose, make sure your dad has an opinion about it.
This is the best advice in this thread. My father in law wanted a watch for Christmas last year. His collection includes the likes of Rolex, Cartier, etc. Come to find out he wanted something in rose gold and was ecstatic to receive this Burberry quartz fashion watch. He wears it all the time. We are all watch nerds. A watch is a very personal purchase. Please make sure you are buying something he wants and will use ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
More questions:

Do you plan this to be an everyday watch or a special occasion watch?
Do you think He would like a more simple dial or something with numbers?
Do you think he would like a day, date or day-date complication?
Does your father have larger wrists Or smaller?
every day watch, with a simple dial.
i think he would like a date complication too.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Orient RA-AB0F12S19A automatic Tri-Star...currently $120.00 on Amazon.

I have the black dial version of this one and absolutely love it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm a big fan of this Citizen dress watch. Below $200 and looks great on the wrist for someone that prefers smaller watches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'd like to thank all of you for the advice and suggestions.
I have been looking at few eco drives and I do like a few.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
My personal opinion is that beyond the Swiss, you best options could be either a Citizen Eco-Drive watch or a Cadisen with a Myota 9015 movement if you would like to go for a true Automatic. My issue with the Swiss Watches these days is they are going to need a service in three to five years if you wish to keep the accuracy, whereas the Japanese movement could be good for ten or more years and rather than service, the movement can be replaced with a new one for less than the cost of getting one service on a Swiss movement.

The Eco-Drive watches can be used and abused and just as long as they get a few hours of good quality light one in a while they just keep running. As part of your gift, why not buy your Dad a decent watch box with a glass window in the lid, which ensures enough light gets through to keep it charged and gives him somewhere nice to store his new watch. You can certainly get a nice wooden storage box on Fleabay for under $20/£20, just a thought.

Best regards,
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I really liked the Bambino, but the domed mineral glass isnt very motivating.
In this case I don’t think there’s much disadvantage and a few advantages. For one thing it’s a true domed crystal which gives it a really nice retro look that’s very hard to find in this price range. A true dome sapphire crystal would put the watch well out of your price range. The crystal is hardened mineral, so more like Seiko Hardlex which falls halfway between mineral glass and sapphire. In reality, this is not a watch you are going to ever get serviced as the cost will greatly exceed the value. In that time will there be any scratches significant enough to cause any issue? Probably not. A true dome mineral crystal just looks better than sapphire anyway. The index of refraction is lower and the side distortion you get just looks better.

If you don’t like domed crystals, this isn’t the watch, but the biggest reason the Bambino is so popular is because of the crystal. Put a flat or box sapphire crystal on this watch and it’s just another 3-hander.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really liked the Bambino, but the domed mineral glass isnt very motivating.
I agree with the previous post. If you just see a photo of the watch or YouTube videos, you may think it's "too domed".
Just try to get a look of the watch and keep it in your hands. It really makes a high-quality Impression. More than one can imagine in this price range!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Really depends upon your father's wrist size and the wearing habits.

One more vote for Orient Bambino
Another option is Orient Defender. Crystal is hardened mineral though
And of course, you may also look into Heimdallr Sharkey with sapphire crystal.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
My dad spent 20-some-odd years in the US Air Force at the height of the cold war. So naturally, I got him a Vostok Amfibia... Probably a Kommandirskie with KGB or USSR Air Force insignia would have been more appropriate, but it worked.

Less than $100, in house historic movement and case design. He thought it was great. I don't think I've ever seen him wear it, but worth it for the novelty alone.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello!
I have been looking for a watch to gift my dad for a long time, i thought i could take suggestions from you peeps who'd know much more than me about them.
I want to gift him a decent automatic watch preferably under 200usd. i was looking for a watch with light colour dial and silver case. I've only come across few ones on aliexpress which i dont think he might like.
please do send in any suggestions,
thanks!
With all of these suggestions I do hope you will post pics of what you pull the trigger on:)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts