WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've been enjoying this forum for a while and have picked up a lot of good info. Thanks for that first.

I'm looking for a GMT/second time-zone, automatic watch. I am a soldier, so I need it to stand up to daily wear and hard use. Not "g-shock" level abuse, but sky-diving, swimming, desert sand-storm type stuff.

My first choice is the Omega Seamaster GMT, and I may end up getting that. However I'd like to look at less expensive options, mainly because if I end up destroying it, I don't want to be out $1800 bucks. The Omega will be my retirement gift to to myself.

Anything in the $500-1000 range that meets these criteria? Thanks ahead of time.

Steve

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can't vouch for the toughness of this one, but it looks good and based on toughness of their other watches it should hold up well.

SEIKO Perpetual Calender GMT Quartz SBQJ015

Less than $400. from seiyajapan

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Missed the automatic part on first read. I hazard to mention this one, but there is a brand called Steinhart that has a ETA based GMT that bares an uncanny resemblance to a R***x. A couple of threads down from this one there are plenty of opinions about the brand. Your money, your choice.

John

S

·
0 Posts
Hi,
my suggestions would be

+ Arctos GMT
+ Limes Endurance GMT

If you wanna know more you´re invited to make use of our search function. Both watches have been discussed in our fora. Enjoy reading !

·
Watchuseek Journalist
1,772 Posts
Hi Steve,

In the price range you are looking for:

- Hamilton Khaki Air Race GMT
- Ollech & Wajs M6 (GMT Bezel)
- Maurice Lacroix Pontos GMT

Cheers

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've spent the evening looking over the suggestions you folks have made. These are some nice watches.

I don't want to get involved in that Steinhart conversation, but that doesn't look like a very hardy watch. The Hamilton has a pretty "busy" look to it.

Anyone know about the "hardiness" of the Limes? I was also looking at the Fortis Fleiger GMT. Anyone have knowledge of the durability of it?

Really I am looking for the Omega, but at a lower price. I can't seem to find any "pre-owned." So I'm trying to find a sporty, durable GMT that I can wear every day and go do soldier stuff with too.

Yeah, RBT, I may just end up getting the Omega.

Thanks all.
Steve

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Hi -

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Sinn U2: automatic, GMT, case hardened and made out of German submarine steel. A real tool watch, and meets your requirements...

Take a look in the Sinn forum here for further information and reviews...

JohnF

PS: Thank you for your service!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I looked for a GMT watch for over a year. Had an Omega PO (still have) and I wanted a GMT that was tough, didn't really care about depth rating as long as it's over 100M. Couldn't get past the bezel on the Omega SeMP GMT. Don't like skeleton hands so the Bond version didn't work for me either. Then I saw a Fortis B-42 GMT on rubber when I was in Switzerland. The bezel is actully bigger than my 45.5mm PO, so it's plenty big for me (42mm case not including crown). Cost is a little more than your US$1,000 limit, they pop up on the 'bay all the time for less than your limit. No crown guard was a problem for me, until I saw it in person, then I couldn't resist:

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I've decided that life is too short to compromise. I'm going to get the Omega.

I know if I buy another watch that I will still want the Omega. So in a few years I'll end up spending the money I thought I was saving anyway. And I will have deprived myself of several years with the watch I really want.

And what if I don't make it that far? I'm in the Army, I ride a motorcycle, I drive a car, I shovel snow in Denver, I take showers... - any of these things can kill a person!

So thanks for the suggestions, anyway.

Steve

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was also looking at the Fortis Fleiger GMT. Anyone have knowledge of the durability of it?

Really I am looking for the Omega, but at a lower price. I can't seem to find any "pre-owned." So I'm trying to find a sporty, durable GMT that I can wear every day and go do soldier stuff with too.

Yeah, RBT, I may just end up getting the Omega.

Thanks all.
Steve
I have the Fortis Fleiger GMT and seems to be very durable. Second hand those seems to be more or less under 500 USD.

Personally I think that if you go near by the Omega price then buy Omega nothing else. It do have modified (=better=Omega do have 12 hour jump hand movement=easier to use) movement than almost all other ETA2893-2 -based watches what do have jumping 24 hour hand.

JP

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I have the Fortis Fleiger GMT and seems to be very durable. Second hand those seems to be more or less under 500 USD.

Personally I think that if you go near by the Omega price then buy Omega nothing else.
...provided you can get on with its looks, which I can't. Hey, you have to look at it to tell the time, right :)

Unfortunately the only mechanical options with the Omega's functionality are a $4,500 Rolex or a $7,500 Blancpain or similar, unless you go for an Oris Worldtimer or the like which features a separate dial with independently settable hands.

It do have modified (=better=Omega do have 12 hour jump hand movement=easier to use) movement than almost all other ETA2893-2 -based watches what do have jumping 24 hour hand.
Good point - although I find the quickset 24-hour hand of more conventional 2983-based "GMT" watches useful for tracking multiple time zones.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
...Unfortunately the only mechanical options with the Omega's functionality are a $4,500 Rolex or a $7,500 Blancpain or similar....
I don't mind the way the standard 2893 movement works. I'm sitting on a plane, I've got nothing but time to waste, messing with all the hands is theraputic!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Fortis B-42 GMT on rubber [...]. The bezel is actully bigger than my 45.5mm PO, so it's plenty big for me (42mm case not including crown). Cost is a little more than your US$1,000 limit, they pop up on the 'bay all the time for less than your limit. No crown guard was a problem for me, until I saw it in person, then I couldn't resist:
Well, the watch mentioned above would be my top recommendation out of Fortis' lineup for a "tough" GMT. Sapphire crystal and AR coating add to it's usability. The rotating bezel allows monitoring of 3 timezones.

I was also looking at the Fortis Fleiger GMT. Anyone have knowledge of the durability of it?
That one is smaller, does "only" have a mineral glass crystal and no AR coating. Fortis also makes the Pilot Pro GMT in SS and black PVD. Differences to the Flieger are mainly the hands and the date display. The Flieger GMT and Pilot Pro GMT do not have a rotating bezel, so you are limited to 2 timezones. As the you mentioned being a Soldier and also mantioned sand, a watch w/o rotating bezel might be of interest as sand might block the bezel's function (though I never had problems with any of my Fortis).

I don't mind the way the standard 2893 movement works. I'm sitting on a plane, I've got nothing but time to waste, messing with all the hands is theraputic!
I totally agree with this, it's just a matter of convenience or personal taste.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts