WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Any suggestions for watches for under $1000? I am looking for a watch that has a diameter of 40 or below. I want this watch to be versatile, as this is going to be my first watch for my 17th birthday and want this watch to go on for years ahead, maybe passing it on to my children and their children(?) Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Any other parameters other than under $1000 and 40mm? Might want to narrow it down some as this will yield a lot of suggestions. Quartz or Automatic? Style?

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Plenty to choose from.

Japan: Seiko Presage.
Swiss: the entry-level Swatch Group brands: Mido, Tissot, Hamilton.
German: Archimede and Stowa

and a new favorite of mine, the Stowa Marine Roman:

Reactions: Tommywine0

·
Registered
119 Posts
Oris and Hamilton make nice watches in your price range but it really depends on what style you like to wear the most (diver, field, chronograph).

·
Registered
914 Posts
If you are ok with it being "inspired" by a vintage military Submariner, the Squale 20 Atmos has a solid Swiss movement, great bracelet, is 40 mm and a relatively thin 12.5 mm thick, can go deeper than you would probably ever dive, and is about $550 new.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
For the $1000 price point I think the Sinn 556i is going to be your best option. It has a 38.5mm case, and 200m water resistance. It’s a true “go anywhere, do anything” (GADA) watch, with one of the most versatile dials available. Watchbuys has the strap version for $1080, which is slightly above your budget, but I definitely think it’s worth the extra money. You can sometimes find the bracelet version for around $1000 here in the WUS sales forums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
So many to choose from! OP, what are you looking for: every day watch, dress watch, diver?

I'd second the Sinn above but would probably get the bracelet version if it was your one nice watch. It's a little overbudget, but it would be more versatile. Also, you can always buy secondary leather straps, but if you ever wanted the bracelet after you bought the strap version it's going to cost a lot more than if you got it with the watch to begin with.

Otherwise, Seiko makes a lot of great watches at this price point.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Some ideas: seiko 007, 009, padi , 5 or cocktail.
Cocktail will be a beautiful classic watch for life! The above divers will be great daily watches that will take a beating and you know will last many years and age well.
The cocktail will set you apart. But not a good daily watch.

Orient makes some great watches. Look at mako divers. Great daily watches that take a beating like the above seiko divers.
Or spend a $200-$300 more and get a beautiful Orient Star. Gorgeous watches that are extremely underrated and priced exceptional for the quality.

This is my suggestion. Unless you have a kid now or on the way don’t worry about buying a watch for your child unless you plan to live a very short life. Buy that watch at a special moment in life. Like graduating college, getting married or having a child.

If your set on spending a $1000. Break that money up.
1. Buy a nice simple cheap watch box and winder fr eBay. ( you can always invest in a better quality box and winder later on ).
2. Buy a couple cheap Casio watches. I live my f91w ( I think that’s it ). Basic. Simple. Retro. Classic. Zombie proof. And under $10!!!!!!!
3. Buy a diver around the $200 or less mark. Seiko or orient.
4. Buy a simple dress watch.
Orient Bambino comes to mind.
5. Buy a few leathers , natos and person straps.
6. Buy a basic watch tool kit.
**** you can get a huge strap collection and tool kit for well under $100. Wait until Black Friday and eat probably double for the money on straps.

All the above can be done for under $1000 easily.

My thoughts.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
First off, I think it’s great that you’re putting some time and effort into finding the right watch...as opposed to just grabbing whatever it is that’s “trending” these days. Don’t rush the decision. Spend some time getting a feel for the different styles and brands that are available....and visit a few local watch shops to get an idea of case-sizes and shapes, straps vs bracelets etc. You’ll want to develop a sense of what’s comfortable on your wrist, because a watch that doesn’t wear well is a watch that never gets worn. You may also want to consider what style will pair best with your lifestyle, wardrobe, recreational activities and occupation.

Having said all that, the first watch that comes to mind is something along the lines of the Longines Conquest 39mm, which has already been mentioned. I think Longines has the brand cache/recognition that will allow it to age well. I also think it’s a fairly classic and extremely versatile style for someone turning 17. It’ll work for most occasions, from bar-hopping on Friday night to a job interview Monday morning. I also tend to think a black dial and steel bracelet are the way to go, as both are versatile and (again) will age well.

Those are just my thoughts. Good luck in the hunt...and in the meantime, here’s a pic of the conquest:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts