WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love busy, big watches. I own a Breitling Avenger Skyland and an Omega PO XL. I think they may be too bulky or "flashy" to wear with a suit to a formal event.

Any thoughts on a nice dress watch that's:

1) slim
2) not too busy watch face
3) classic

I'll get it started with the IWC Portuguese chrono.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Sinn 1746 Klassik.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
A Baume & Mercier would fit the bill. They have several options that range from plain dials to ones with a bit more going on in their dress watches. I've always liked their designs. What price and size range would you like to be in?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'm no expert, but I tend to think that you can't do better, for your taste and your needs, than the IWC you mentioned; it's a classic, elegant watch, with some complications to keep you happy.

I don't have any real need for a fancier formal watch than either of my nicer Sea-Gull watches, but, if I did, I'd be looking very hard at the IWC.

:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love busy, big watches. I own a Breitling Avenger Skyland and an Omega PO XL. I think they may be too bulky or "flashy" to wear with a suit to a formal event.

Any thoughts on a nice dress watch that's:

1) slim
2) not too busy watch face
3) classic

I'll get it started with the IWC Portuguese chrono.

Maybe the IWC Da Vinci watch can be your choice .
Series : IWC Da Vinci Watches
Movement : Asian 21J automatic chronograph movement
Size : 41mm x 13mm
Dial : Grey dial and subdials, with steel stick markers
Case : 316L solid stainless steel
Crystal : Cratch-proof sapphire
Bezel : Steel bezel
Strap : Brown leather strap with double deployant clasp
Water Resistance : Yes

·
Registered
447 Posts
Photos, people. Photos.

That Sinn is a real beauty. I love a clean, classic look. There's the intro Rolex to think about. You might also look into Longines and Mido for a nice classic look for relatively few shekels. These are a couple of my favorites:

Mido Commander:

Longines Clous De Paris:

·
Registered
742 Posts

Maybe the IWC Da Vinci watch can be your choice .
Series : IWC Da Vinci Watches
Movement : Asian 21J automatic chronograph movement
Size : 41mm x 13mm
Dial : Grey dial and subdials, with steel stick markers
Case : 316L solid stainless steel
Crystal : Cratch-proof sapphire
Bezel : Steel bezel
Strap : Brown leather strap with double deployant clasp
Water Resistance : Yes
Asian movement? Did you take that from a replica site?

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
IWC is definitely your ticket. I'd also look at the Spitfire, which is both one of my own personal favorites, as well as one of their cheapest models.

If you're not anxious to spend a lot of money, I think that a Hamilton Jazzmaster (another of my favorites in that category) would get you most of the benefits (slim, elegant, classy, automatic) of an IWC dress watch at a lower cost.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
You mean like this one. ;-)

Yea, it's nice, but probably a bit large for most people to consider a proper dress watch. I love mine though.

Agreed. You might be able to get away with a big, 44+ mm watch in everyday situations, but, where a degree of subtlty is called for, in situations where you might wear a dress watch, I think that the largest watch an average wrist can get away with would be about 40 mm.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
what about the Cartier Tank Fracaise; imo one of the classiest, most understated pieces created.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
what about the Cartier Tank Fracaise; imo one of the classiest, most understated pieces created.
I'm personally partial to the Roadster, but Cartier does make some beautiful watches.

·
Registered
37,143 Posts
If you're not anxious to spend a lot of money, I think that a Hamilton Jazzmaster (another of my favorites in that category) would get you most of the benefits (slim, elegant, classy, automatic) of an IWC dress watch at a lower cost.
Good suggestion! :-!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
This is certainly my favorite dress watch, a Baume & Mercier Classima Executive 8735. You asked for simple so maybe the textured dial is not what you are looking for; other models in the series have more plain dial.

·
Registered
839 Posts
May I suggest Zenith Class Elite? It'd surely add a touch of class to your collection.
Kudos on your Zenith suggestion. I couldn't agree more.

I try to keep two good dress watches available for evening and formal events. One watch is gold with a crisp unadorned white dial, the other stainless steel with black. Leather straps on both complete this elegant package. This pretty much covers all my bases. Thin IMHO is a must. Complications should be minimal; your date *won't* appreciate the competition. ;-)

Save the complications for early evening wear, business casual, and casual.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts