WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, hows it going?

So its pappa bears (dads) 60th this year and I wan to get him a nice watch, problem is he's quite picky on what he likes and what he doesn't. I've had a look around and found a few possibilities but wouldn't mind knowing if I have missed anything... My budget is under a $1k so as to increase my possibilities. I've reached out to you guys for suggestions before and you did a stellar job! So here's the criteria;

Case: Over all the watch must be two tone and classy. He is a classy man who takes pride in himself and I would like this watch to reflect that. In this price bracket its going to have to be plated or PVD and that's fine. He has a small wrist and wouldn't want anything bigger than 40mm. And the bezel must be gold in colour. The two tone is a deal breaker for him (gold/steel). Something relatively thin would be great too.

Strap: This must be a fine linked bracelet, again two tone. Ill post some pictures of what I have found so far that fit the bill, as I find it hard to explain. Rolex styled jubilee is fine as well.

Dial: A clean white, light cream or light silver dial here. Just simple and classic. No other complications apart from the time are necessary, if anything a small date window. He's a man who is practical and realistic. If he doesn't need it, he doesn't want it. Either plain or guiloched is fine. The hands don't matter too much. And preferably ROMAN NUMERALS. It's hard finding them but it would be preferable. No arabic numbers thanks.

Movement: Quartz. I'm a mechanical man but I think dad would find it a hindrance with the servicing, having to set it again if he hasn't worn in a bit etc etc. So yeah, quartz would be great. However if it is mechanical, no in house. ETA or another easily serviced brand is a must. This isn't a deal breaker.

Brand: A nice brand with a nice product is all I ask. Swiss or German would be best.

So that's about it, feel free to ask any other questions! Thanks heaps to anyone who took the time to read this and post a suggestion for me. Here are some I've found so far that tick most of the boxes;

EDIT: Round case most preferential.

grovana tradition.png longines-la-grande-classique.jpg Maurice Lacroix Les Classiques Date.jpg Raymond Weil Tango.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
With a $1K budget you can purchase him a gentleman's watch.. a vintage Cartier Tank in silver, gold-plated, quartz, roman numerals, white dial. I see one on Chrono24 within budget. Research the watch and the buyer carefully first of course. It has a leather strap though, but this certainly beats out any two-toned watch.

Cartier Tank for $.781 for sale from a Private seller on Chrono24

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll look into them more and may even be able to find an after market bracelet for it. Funny you should mention a cartier tank, portauto, that is the one watch he cant stand I'm afraid. I've tried to sway his judgement but he just hates it :S

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I agree with the Constellation. Older ones are likely to be over a grand and may require more service tha "Dad" like but the newer last generation are very attractive. The also use gold - not some gold look-a-like stuff so will hold up better. The detail is better than lesser watches - especially the dial - and they are availible in quartz or ETA powered versions. And will hold it's value much better than many other brands. Can get "no bar", half-bar" or "full bar" versions. Sounds like he'd go for full bar most. The band is dedicated making swaps difficult/impossible. Get one with all the links = even though he may not need them there will, unfortunately, come a time to pass it on to another generation(Omegas are great "hand me downs") and it will be handy to have them readily available.
I should add that I am 60 years old now (picked mine up 5 years ago) and get more compliments from others on this one watch than all my others combined. Looks very nice with a blazer, btw.

12023000-30.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts