WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

Now when you are over 30 suddenly you realize that you need a watch. I have not worn any since deep childhood when I even had some Timex with indigo light but that was long time ago and my country that was something really cool at that time.

Starting to dive in world of watches I was surprised about how big and wide is this world and still how hard is to find something that you would really like to have as a first serious watch. I have read a lot forums here, googling and visiting AD trying some on wrist but still after more than couple of months have not found the one to start.
More less I know what I want but I have not seen something that will cover all aspects. So maybe some experience watch experts would suggest some ideas.

· The things that is a MUST is sapphire crystal.
· I felt good with rubber (or any similar material) strap it could also be leather but not bracelet it is not for me.
· About movement actually it is not obligatory to be automatic it could any reliable quartz, solar, kinetic…
· I have about 17cm (6.7inches) wrist and I like middle or even oversized watches. So 40mm or more.
· Dial have to be dark colored (black, dark blue) for sure not white or light colors.
· Perfect if it could be universal for office (jeans&jacket), suitable for free time (t-shirt) and perfect if I even could swim with it (10ATM or more) but not very thick so I quess not divers at least I have not seen any I found suitable.
· I looking for new or mint and at the moment budget is ~1000EUR (~1200USD) if something really nice it could go over but then I will need time to collect extra funds.
· Not very classic and not very overdesigned.
· With Arabic or none numbers but without Romanian numbers
· Nice if there is a moonphase!
Here are some ideas what I find interesting:
I like some or Perrelet perrelet 3.jpg or perrelet turbine.jpg (over my budget and not best comments by watch repair master)
I like Schaumburg meteorite schaumburg.jpg
but this far over my budget similar like Omegas with moonphase.
Oris also could be OK like this one:
oris.jpg
One member here is WUS is selling Universal Geneve Okeanos moon timer which is little over my budget but I am not sure to invest before trying on wrist and what could be value drop if I decided to sell it after some time. But is on shortlist.
UG moon.jpg

Somehow Seiko, Citizen and Ball is interesting but I gave not found any model that I really would like.
Maybe perpetual watch chronograph also is a option

So any ideas welcome.
Sorry for long post:)

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Ashford has some Perrelets for a really good price right now.

Also check out the Longines Legend Diver - a very well-executed re-issue of a venerable classic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ashford has some Perrelets for a really good price right now.

Also check out the Longines Legend Diver - a very well-executed re-issue of a venerable classic.
Thanks. As I live in EU VAT & custom taxes on top of their discounted prices makes end price over budget.
But this Longines looks quite OK maybe a little too classic but this is good optionmaybe I could this also in short list

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Take a look at Alpina startimer pilot sunray pointer date which can be found for a little above your budget. Inhouse movement, display case back, sunburst dial, small pointer date complication, bracelet option, quite large at 44mm. With the bracelet it hug the wrist quite well.

ALPINA_STARTIMER_PILOT_MANUFACTURE_DETAIL4.jpg

Or perhaps a Ball Ohio moonphase with tritium.
Ballohiomoon.jpg

·
Registered
14,108 Posts
Given those parameters...I would get this
Flieger-o-Logo-m-Datum-5.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!
Ball I googled before somehow too classic. Alpina is more interesting but I do not find something catchy that would really attract

·
Registered
496 Posts
Given those parameters...I would get this
View attachment 2763114
This Stowa Flieger is actually an excellent watch. I own one without date. However, you cannot swim with it.

Would you consider one of the Glycine Combat Sub? Though it's a dive watch, the thickness is about 10mm only and it does not wear thick at all.

::: Glycine Watch ::: Bienne 1914 ::: Swiss Made :::

You may choose a dark colored dial model with rubber strap. Changing to leather straps is very easy as it has lug holes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
For automatic try SevenFriday and Dietrich. For quartz try Citizen Eco-drive satellite wave F100.
SevenFriday and Dietrich are too crazy for me and I would like round watch. and they are with mineral glass
Citizen Eco-drive satellite - good suggestion. I was looking at some citizens but they seemed to overdesigned but this looks like that I should look more in details with this brand

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
You may still be able to find the Seiko Ananta Double Retrograde Automatic SPB013J1. Large watch but outstanding quality and somewhat unusual looking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello!

Two month ago I decided to start with something more simple and maybe after some time I will go for mechanical watch Now i got citizen eco drive solar radio controlled watch model: CB0010-02E I think it is discontinued but still you can find some un ebay.
It is radio-controlled so always correct time, solar powered - always working; sapphire crystal no scratches so far; still quite inexpensive less then 300EUR, at the begging for some days it didn't seem to fit perfectly but now I am very used to it. So for first watch I think it is good choice. Also IMO it is quite universal for formal and casual!
IMG_0954.jpg

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Edit: sorry, didn't realize this was a revived, older thread. thought you were currently looking for suggestions.

This is one of my "go-to" watches for something a bit different and versatile. Hamilton Regulator....

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I just wanted to inform that have found something and some of suggestions from WUS members allowed to find this citizen.

Edit: sorry, didn't realize this was a revived, older thread. thought you were currently looking for suggestions.

This is one of my "go-to" watches for something a bit different and versatile. Hamilton Regulator....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts