WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all....long time lurker, first time poster.

I always enjoy the threads asking for suggestions as they often bring up watches that I had not known or expected. I am now looking for suggestions for myself and would enjoy some input:

-should have in-house movement
-case greater or equal 40mm diameter
-German or swiss
-dial not too busy, large second or small second ok, moonphase would be ok too (or a bonus, actually)
-automatic or manual
-budget <$5grand

I think it's the 'in-house' requirement that makes this a little difficult. I know there are several FC or Longines models that fit the above, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a 'main-stream' brand.

So far I have come up with the DK100/101 by Damasko and Carl by Schäuble & Söhne. I can see lots of paise for the Damasko one here on this forum and elsewhere, but does anyone have any feedback on the Schäuble & Söhne?

Any additional suggestions for this quest would be very welcome!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
36,407 Posts
+1 for a Nomos. Great quality for the price.

·
Premium Member
7,410 Posts
The Zenith Elite watches are all available in or very near your price range, and have the excellent Elite movement.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431903825.965660.jpg

Maybe even the new 6150 (with a dual-barrel, 100-hour reserve version of the Elite caliber) will be cheap enough, if you don't have to pay VAT:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431903934.188734.jpg

Rick "who, without disrespect to Nomos, would prefer a Zenith in this price range" Denney

Reactions: Chronopolis

·
Premium Member
14,844 Posts
You might possibly be able to find a pre-owned, but well cared for, IWC for that price. Omega speedmaster is also an option

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I think you can get a new rolex OP (grey market at least) or a minty used explorer I for around 5k.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Just to throw out some more options for in-house movements, have a look at the Maurice Lacroix Materpiece line. Note: some of their older models (and perhaps some of their newer ones) do not feature in-house movements. It's been a while since I researched them. They retail pretty high but can be found at considerable discount.

In addition to Frederique Constant, their "sister" company Alpina has a manufacture line. Alpina tends to have a sportier "aviation" inspired theme.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. Can I just clarify my preferences a bit more in respect to some of the above suggestions?

Nomos is not so much my thing (visually); great watches though :)

The watch should be new.

The Rolex mentioned is too small.

It would be great to find more 'obscure' (e.g. smaller) brands that fulfill the selection conditions (along the lines of those two I already found myself)

Currently I am leaning toward the Damasko, but like the Schaeuble & Soehne too.

I am hoping to find further alternatives.

Cheers, everyone! :)

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
The Zenith Elite watches are all available in or very near your price range, and have the excellent Elite movement.

View attachment 4022434

Rick "who, without disrespect to Nomos, would prefer a Zenith in this price range" Denney
That is a beauty.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
It would be great to find more 'obscure' (e.g. smaller) brands that fulfill the selection conditions (along the lines of those two I already found myself)

Currently I am leaning toward the Damasko, but like the Schaeuble & Soehne too.
The Muhle pictured earlier is quite similar to the S&S you like. You might also have a look at Dornblueth & Sohn.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I'd back up the Muhle Glasshute, although not 100% in house, they do some work on the movements to make them their own. Vulcains and Zenith El Primero would also be on my list for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd back up the Muhle Glasshute, although not 100% in house, they do some work on the movements to make them their own. Vulcains and Zenith El Primero would also be on my list for you.

I agree on the Muehle 'Kleine Sekunde'. Looks great, I'll put her on the list. I can only find pictures of the front though, would be good to see the back. Seems to be slightly above the 5 grand limit, but that's ok.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
I hear you about NOMOS, but am not fond of their design. Are there any other suggestions?
how can you say NO to such beautiful watches?
InHouse eh? under $5000 eh?
Tudor Heritage Ranger!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how can you say NO to such beautiful watches?
I know...my philistinism has been a problem all my life....

But seriously, Tudor is on my radar also. I wasn't aware that the Heritage Ranger has an in-house movement, but the new Pelagos and North Flag will have one. These are not for out for sale yet (I think), but the North Flag will go on my list also.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts