WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyo HMT Lovers,

Anyone have any suggestions for where/how to get an HMT Janata repaired? I finally got my hands on one and then I dropped it and it stopped ticking. I would like to get the one I have repaired because of the story behind it, but I also have to be realistic about how much I spend to fix a watch that cost less then $50.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcome.

Any viable suggestions local to DC Metro area will be rewarded with a beer.

Blue Skies,
~Ian

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
It MIGHT be a fairly simple fix. I've had watches that I've dropped where the hair spring gets unseated. Might be worth having a watchmaker open up the case and take a peek. On the other hand, replacing an HMT is USUALLY pretty inexpensive. Or, if the model you have is rare, you could buy a more common HMT and just have the movement swapped.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Movement swap is probably your best bet. Find an actual watch/clock repair shop, not a jeweler. Take the new movement and the old watch together and tell him to fix it if he can, and if not, just drop in the new movement. You don't want him wasting time hunting for parts, or charging you for custom modified parts, etc, for an HMT.

Edit: oh! Your profile says Raleigh, but just saw the part about DC Metro. PM me for suggestions in downtown or northern Virginia (Fairfax/Vienna).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KrisOK,

It's an HMT Janata, specifically the first HMT I fell in love with, so it holds a story I want to preserve. Possibly finding an inexepsnive HMT on ebay and having the movement swapped out is a good enough trade off. Thanks for the suggestion.

~Ian

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Movement swap is probably your best bet. Find an actual watch/clock repair shop, not a jeweler. Take the new movement and the old watch together and tell him to fix it if he can, and if not, just drop in the new movement. You don't want him wasting time hunting for parts, or charging you for custom modified parts, etc, for an HMT.

Edit: oh! Your profile says Raleigh, but just saw the part about DC Metro. PM me for suggestions in downtown or northern Virginia (Fairfax/Vienna).
JakeJD,

I am indeed now in the DC area. PM sent. Thanks a bunch!

Blue Skies,
~Ian

·
Registered
12 Posts
you could buy a more common HMT and just have the movement swapped.
I just transplanted the movement from my pink dial Janata that I never wear any more into my silver dial Janata last night. It shouldn't take long for someone who knows what they're doing. Bid2win on eBay usually has some deals on Janatas, that's where I got both of mine. (No affiliation other than being a happy customer.) It seems like the ones with odd/ugly colored dials tend to go for less.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just transplanted the movement from my pink dial Janata that I never wear any more into my silver dial Janata last night. It shouldn't take long for someone who knows what they're doing. Bid2win on eBay usually has some deals on Janatas, that's where I got both of mine. (No affiliation other than being a happy customer.) It seems like the ones with odd/ugly colored dials tend to go for less.
Good idea on the ugly dial :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts