WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my brother has been wearing two different Fossil chronographs for the better part of 5 years. When one breaks or the battery dies, he simply buys a new one for $60. Now, I don't think there's anything wrong with this, but my watch obsession (and snobbery) has sort of gotten him curious about strapping something new on his wrist that he can be proud of. He's recently been sending me photos of watches he likes, so I think it's the perfect chance to share this world with him.

He turns 32 at the end of the month and I'd love to buy him a watch for his birthday. He has shown interest in Hamiltons and similar field watches, but I'm not sure he's totally ready for an automatic. He wants something he can forget about. So, if it is going to be automatic, it needs a long power reserve. He also certainly likes the look of chronographs and if I go that route, then it obviously needs to be quartz. I like the idea of getting him a quartz chrono from a microbrand or a smaller company. But I'm not totally opposed to going Timex, as I think they make fine watches.

So, I figure this is the perfect place to ask for suggestions.

Here are some brands I've been looking at so far:

Timex
Hamilton
Vaer
Seiko
Farer
Christopher Ward

What do you think? I'd love to hear your suggestions.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am always going to vote for a 200m Seiko diver, or at least some sort of ISO diver. Lots and lots to choose from nowadays. This watch was $125 delivered to my door, pre-owned of course and is my current beater.
new pepsi.jpg

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Sounds like a candidate for solar. If he doesn't want to deal with battery changes but maybe doesn't wear the watch enough for an automatic, I think solar would be the way to go.

That leaves mostly Seiko, Citizen, Casio. Whats your budget? I'd say an Casio Oceanus S100 would be awesome, but it's not a chronograph, and on the expensive side.

If have to go chrono, one of my favorites is the Seiko SSC569, but I think they're discontinued/hard to find.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a candidate for solar. If he doesn't want to deal with battery changes but maybe doesn't wear the watch enough for an automatic, I think solar would be the way to go.

That leaves mostly Seiko, Citizen, Casio. Whats your budget? I'd say an Casio Oceanus S100 would be awesome, but it's not a chronograph, and on the expensive side.

If have to go chrono, one of my favorites is the Seiko SSC569, but I think they're discontinued/hard to find.
That's a great suggestion. I hadn't thought of Solar. My budget is around $300, as I'm splitting the cost with my parents. Definitely going to take a look at some solar citizens/seikos!

·
Registered
133 Posts
My vote is either a Seiko solar or Citizen Eco Drive. You can choose the best model that will fit his taste after that.

IMO the Eco Drive is seriously under appreciated. I just bought my first Eco Drive watch not long ago and have already gifted a few to friends!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I really like the designs on current Victorinox chrono's. Check out their Maverick line.

The Timex Allied models look very nice too and have more of that field watch look.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My vote is either a Seiko solar or Citizen Eco Drive. You can choose the best model that will fit his taste after that.

IMO the Eco Drive is seriously under appreciated. I just bought my first Eco Drive watch not long ago and have already gifted a few to friends!
Ya, I think that's where I'm headed. But, he really doesn't want a watch that looks too "serious." I'm afraid some of the Seikos/Citizens won't be casual enough for him. But, we'll see. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'm not sure he's totally ready for an automatic. He wants something he can forget about.
My friend recently came to me for watch advice, being a complete novice himself and knowing I'm into it. Be careful about this. I convinced him to get a SARB035, and the fact that it's a mechanical watch soured the experience for him. He doesn't wear it often, so he'd often come back to a watch that's stopped running. For someone who's not that into watches, but just want something nice to wear, the labor of periodically having to get it running again/correct the time/worry about things like not changing the date during date changes might deter them from fully enjoying the watch, and I can't help but feel my friend would've enjoyed it more if it was a quartz.

Reactions: Maruzen

·
Registered
979 Posts
If looking for quartz chronographs, Dan Henry have that covered. Seiko have some great ones too like an SNA411 on a Marine Nationale type strap to make that yellow hand pop.

Otherwise, Hamilton do have quartz versions of a lot of their watches.

But if he's been throwing watches away when it comes time to change the battery, perhaps an Auto shouldn't be ruled out...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ya, I think that's where I'm headed. But, he really doesn't want a watch that looks too "serious." I'm afraid some of the Seikos/Citizens won't be casual enough for him. But, we'll see. Thanks for the suggestion.
What does he currently wear now? The good thing with the Citizen Eco Drive is that there is a whole range of styles using the technology. Here is the one I picked up:

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
A watch is a very personal object. Take your brother shopping - in person or online - and let him select the watch.

The chances of you selecting what he would choose is almost nil and a bunch of strangers on the internet won't fare any better. The suggestions here may be helpful but the decision should go to him.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I love the Oceanus recommendation. It’s a gorgeous watch, titanium I believe, and I think stylistically both modern and timeless.

casio oceanus ocw-s100-1ajf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A watch is a very personal object. Take your brother shopping - in person or online - and let him select the watch.

The chances of you selecting what he would choose is almost nil and a bunch of strangers on the internet won't fare any better. The suggestions here may be helpful but the decision should go to him.
Ya I think this is right. Basically I think he's going to send me some he likes and I'll go from there. The point is that he doesn't really know what he's looking at -- he just knows he likes the look of something. Which is where I come in!

·
Registered
130 Posts
My friend recently came to me for watch advice, being a complete novice himself and knowing I'm into it. Be careful about this. I convinced him to get a SARB035, and the fact that it's a mechanical watch soured the experience for him. He doesn't wear it often, so he'd often come back to a watch that's stopped running. For someone who's not that into watches, but just want something nice to wear, the labor of periodically having to get it running again/correct the time/worry about things like not changing the date during date changes might deter them from fully enjoying the watch, and I can't help but feel my friend would've enjoyed it more if it was a quartz.
This exactly. I made the same mistake with my brother-in-law. He is happy with a quartz. So much to choose from in this range so maybe let him see them first.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts

Ya I think this is right. Basically I think he's going to send me some he likes and I'll go from there. The point is that he doesn't really know what he's looking at -- he just knows he likes the look of something. Which is where I come in!
Yea I remember reading some "gift guide" and they absolutely were against gifting like watches, wallets, purses, and things you "typically" only own one of and are expected to use daily. It's such a personal object given how much you would use it. Would you make them feel uncomfortable if they didn't use it like all the time?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts