WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently have been really fascinated with Tudor Black Bay style watch (diver watch with red bezel and black dial). The thing is, I only have around $800 to spend. I've been looking everywhere for a watch that fits my criteria but so far the cheapest I can find is Longines Hydroconquest in red bezel. But even Longines still cost around $1100 and the one with red bezel is ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to find one used. so can anyone suggest me a watch that fits this criteria?
- Has black dial and red bezel (black dial is not a must, but definitely has to have red bezel)
- MUST have swiss-made movement (I just happened to have numbers of bad experiences with japanese and chinese made watches so I'll just play safe here and go with swiss)
- MUST be automatic movement, no quartz or handwind
- Minimum 37 mm diameter but the bigger the better for me
- Can be in any style although I prefer diver style watch the most
- Cost around $800 or under (new or used, both are fine)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
yea, actually I've considered christopher ward C60 trident before and if I couldn't find anything else I might just gonna get this one, but I just want to see first if there's anything else out there ;)
Someone made a shop of it on the net with the black version's dial and red bezel. Looks quite good actually. I'd be inclined to save those extra pennies and get the Longines though.

I think the Stowa sea time comes in under budget too actually....

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

And also the brand new Tissot seastar. It has the powermatic 80 movement too which is nice I guess.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Reactions: fmadrid

·
Registered
887 Posts
Try the Dagaz webstore - they sell replacement bezels and dials for 1980s Seiko divers. I put this together for around $300 all-in

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

They also do a complete set of bezel, dial and hands that allows you to turn a Seiko diver into a tasteful tribute to the Black Bay. I've got the bits but never finished the project (see below). Might consider selling, so PM me if you want to make an offer.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Red Strap

·
Registered
3,113 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually had that exact Glycine Combat Sub before. I bought it new from AD and the bezel was really loose. I thought mine was a lemon so I went back to the AD and asked for a replacement. Apparently after testing lots of combat sub at the AD, I found out that all Glycine Combat Sub has a loose rotating bezel. They said looser bezel makes it easier to clean the sand in between the case and the bezel in case you use it for diving. I don't know about others but watch with loose bezel is definitely not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
15,775 Posts
I'm curious to hear what other Combat Sub owners have to say about this.

Is your bezel loose?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm curious to hear what other Combat Sub owners have to say about this.

Is your bezel loose?
Nope. I have a blue dial / orange bezel Combat Sub, and the bezel is very very tight. It's not very high, and the teeth on the bezel are quite shallow. All those things add up to a bezel that's almost hard to turn. Very precise when it does turn though, and perfectly lined up too. No complaints from me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.