WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My dad is getting ready to retire and I figured this would be the perfect oppourtunity to buy him a nice, quality watch. He has never been a guy to spend a lot of money on himself, and so has always worn Timex Ironmans and other budget savy watches. I am hoping your collective creativity on this forum will help me find the perfect watch for this occasion.

My ideal criteria would be:

Up to $1500 or so
Mechanical/Automatic
40-44 mm diameter

So far the only watches I can come up with are ones that are on my personal wishlist: Victorinox Divemaster or anything by Xetum (but I don't know if my 54 year old father would find either of those appealing).

I am eager to hear what you guys suggest,

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Even if we don.t have a lot of info, I will suggest this one:

Longine Legend Diver.

Will look good dressed or casual and has a timeless design. Might be a few undreds over budget but worth it

20120508135620.jpg

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Longines Legend Diver, it's a classic.
I'm actually trying to get one my self
It's appealing because of its slim divers look
It'll go perfectly on the suit or t-shirt
It's also in your price range
Xetum is nice but in my head LLD is timles

Roberto

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Gee, I don't know why everyone's recommending the Legend Diver today, but I'll jump in. I think it's great looking. And I'm your father's generation (actually, I probably baby-sat for him). Does this mean I can retire too?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Your dad sounds a lot like mine. Never spent money on himself, yet somehow my sisters and I developed a taste for expensive items. I would go for something simple, elegant, classic looking, and not too expensive. I know if my dad found out I spent more than $1,000 on a watch he probably would be too shy to even wear it. I say keep it simple and go for one of these:

415w1glCQYL._SL500_.jpg

91OKXMleAcL._AA1500_.jpg

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am with V.I.T. along with his suggestions.

Your dad sounds a lot like mine. Never spent money on himself, yet somehow my sisters and I developed a taste for expensive items. I would go for something simple, elegant, classic looking, and not too expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A bit more info about my dad is that he is retiring after 34 years as a police officer. He is also a pilot and is an avid golfer - not sure if there is anything specific to golf in the watch world.

I have to agree that LLD is a great looking watch and I don't mind adding a few hundred to the budget.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I'm probably being too literal, but this NOS (new old stock) Oris Players watch is available on eBay for $800 (starting bid, not me):

Golf.jpg

I think the idea is that it'll track two scores on the dial, though there have been times when a high slope course would have put me over that 123 limit! Oris is a decent brand that falls into the good value for the money catagory. This watch pops up from time to time so if this one goes or you don't like the seller, they'll be others if you've got the time.

At the upper end of your limit TAG Heuer made a Golf watch (now Sports), but that's more about the materials (thin, light, quartz):

wae1113_ft6004.jpg

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
A bit more info about my dad is that he is retiring after 34 years as a police officer. He is also a pilot and is an avid golfer - not sure if there is anything specific to golf in the watch world.

I have to agree that LLD is a great looking watch and I don't mind adding a few hundred to the budget.
If he is a pilot, you could look at a nice Stowa Pilot watch (well within your budget)

Flieger-o-Logo-o-Datum-4.jpg

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I love the suggestion of the Longines Legend Diver as it is about as versatile of a piece as there is for less than a Rolex Submariner/Explorer. Given his previous admiration of tough practical watches, you also might take a look at what Sinn has to offer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts