WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know the thought of an expensive 'luxury' watch as a daily beater / tool watch is offensive to some, but my heart desires a really special watch that I can wear and enjoy every day, no matter what the activity. Stories of men who bought 300SL Gullwings, Porsche 911s or Ferrari 275s brand new and used them every day and racked up 500k miles warm my heart - garage queens don't.

On that note I need a watch that can withstand daily abuse, trips to the beach, knocking into door frames, etc. I work in a casual environment so the watch doesn't need to be worn with a suit (plus I have another watch for that). Something in the 40mm - 44mm range usually works well for me but I don't want more than 14mm case height. Stainless, titanium or ceramic are all appealing materials.

Rolex Submariner or Sea Dweller 4000 - This is what I should buy! It is a lovely watch with an iconic design and super rugged high-quality build quality but it looks a bit small on my 7.5" wrist and the dial isn't as easy to read as I would like. <flame suit on> I am not crazy about the public perception of wearing a Rolex brings along with it and many of the watches I like go unnoticed by 99% of the general public which fits better for my business and my personality.

To get this thread pointed in the right direction here is a list of watches that I considered but aren't quite right.

AP Diver - A bit more than I want to spend (I could stretch) but shows wear and tear too easily. Is the movement 'bombproof' enough?

AP Diver Ceramic - I love it and the case should be very wear and tear resistance but the price is too high.

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms or Bathyscaphe - High quality and great heritage but the FF Automatic is too large I don't care for the bezel. The Bathyscaphe is too old fashion (vintage??) looking; I am young and don't want a watch from the '50s or '60s.

Honorable mention: Omega Speedmaster DSOTM - Great value, looks cool, and comfortable to wear but I think it is tool far off being a true rugged 'tool' watch to win this competition, plus I am not really looking for a chrono.

Please help me find what I am searching for b-)

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Re: Suggestions for 'luxury' tool / diver watch up to ~$10k?

Given your stated usage plans, I would go with Rolex all the way (unless you could be persuaded to look at Sinn and Damasko in another price range).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

The Tudor is a very, very nice watch but for this purchase I find it heavy on tool and light on luxury.

My heart loves the DSSD but it is too thick for me….really.

Not a diver, but 42mm, not too thick, good WR, solid movement and brushed finish to hide scratches.
Wow! This is a great suggestion and a watch that was never on my radar until you posted it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

BP Fifty Fathoms bathyscaphe chrono
I listed that in my original post but maybe I messed up the name a bit??

Blancpain Bathyscape Flyback Chrono Ceramic - High on my list. It looks great and isn't too heavy but the pushers look susceptible to damage and I worry that the movement might be a bit fragile.

·
Registered
273 Posts

My bad I only noticed the regular FF in your op, not sure about the movement its relatively new

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't know if there is a watch out there that perfectly covers both sides of the, a watch hitting the luxury side, probably won't be built to diving WR spec, a watch built to diving WR spec, is probably going to not focus heavily on the luxury side

So you will probably have to compromise somewhere, if you only need basic water resistance, you should probably focus more on the luxury side, although some options may require additional funding

If you need moderate to good WR, you shouldn't focus too much on the luxury side

I also think if the DSSD is too thick, that would eliminate a lot of the serious WR dive watches out there, so maybe follow the lead of the Rolex Explorer 2 suggestion and look at more GMTs, many are probably built with more than a fair WR and might come across as closer to a luxury watch than one built to be a serious diver

·
Registered
9,884 Posts

While I own ceramic cased watches they would be off my list for a "tool" watch for long term daily wear given the potential for catastrophic damage to the case.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Not a diver, and on the dressy side, but the Breguet marine big date might be worth a look.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts

Omega ploprof 8500 date or no date. The destro crown orientation makes them comfortably, but they are pretty thick. The originals are more comfortable.

The Planet Ocean Liquid Metal 42mms and 44mms are going to be tough and the original watches are considered to be collectible.

Any of number of unpolished Panerais fit too.

Frankly although it isn't a luxury brand, the tegmented Sinn U1 is literally and figuratively hard to beat as a beater.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

Maybe a Bremont Supermarine or IWC Aquatimer. They had so many models of IWC's over the years so check watchrecon for older models.

·
Banned
205 Posts

Don't forget about JLC...

JLCDeepSeaChrono03.jpg

You can score one of these lovelies for around $8 grand. If that's not "toolish" enough for you, check out their various Navy SEAL offerings.

·
Registered
12,446 Posts

Rolex Explorer 214270 (39mm) or Rolex Submariner 114060.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts

Got mine recently for around $6-7k

Throughout my short time of owning this I've took it to snowy area where the temperature was -20 celsius while strapped outside my jacket and took it for the hot spring bath in the same day...

Yes the matte ceramic bezel might show scratch more clearly than the glossy Rolex,however I like this watch because it simply flies under the radar,and I think the alarm is the bonus

Another suggestion will be pre owned Panerai sub,the newer ones with in house movts are all 47mm,sometimes you can get 305/389 for less than $8k (display back vs ceramic bezel and antimagnetic..you pick) there is also the destro limited 569 for circa $10k as well

If you don't like DSSD,have you tried the regular SD?

Personally I prefer titanium diver since they're more comfortable

·
Banned
2,843 Posts

I know the thought of an expensive 'luxury' watch as a daily beater / tool watch is offensive to some, but my heart desires a really special watch that I can wear and enjoy every day, no matter what the activity. Stories of men who bought 300SL Gullwings, Porsche 911s or Ferrari 275s brand new and used them every day and racked up 500k miles warm my heart - garage queens don't.

On that note I need a watch that can withstand daily abuse, trips to the beach, knocking into door frames, etc. I work in a casual environment so the watch doesn't need to be worn with a suit (plus I have another watch for that). Something in the 40mm - 44mm range usually works well for me. Stainless, titanium or ceramic are all appealing.

To get this thread pointed in the right direction here is a list of watches that I considered but aren't quite right.

AP Diver - A bit more than I want to spend (I could stretch) but shows wear and tear too easily. Is the movement 'bombproof' enough?

AD Diver Ceramic - I love it and the case should be very wear and tear resistance but the price is too high.

Rolex Sea Dweller 4000 - Lovely watch but it looks a bit small on my 7.5" wrist and the dial isn't as easy to read as I would like.

Rolex Deepsea Sea Dweller - Very cool but too tall and heavy for me as a daily watch.

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms - High quality and great heritage but I don't care for the bezel or the old fashion (vintage??) look.

Blancpain Bathyscape Flyback Chrono Ceramic - High on my list. It looks great and isn't too heavy but the pushers look susceptible to damage and I worry that the movement might be a bit fragile.

Honorable mention: Omega Speedmaster DSOTM - Great value, looks cool, comfortable to wear but I think it is tool far off being a true rugged 'tool' watch to win this competition.

Please help me find what I am searching for b-)
I have the same wrist size as you (7.5") and own a SD4000. Size is perfect, maybe even a tad big (writing this with a 36mm DJ on my wrist...). My vote goes for this one.

Reactions: utinaturen
1 - 20 of 79 Posts