WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
Ah, one of my favorite questions. :)

Generally they will be divers or chronographs. Here are the ones I own. Also, some 38mm watches with a thin bezel appear just as large as a 40mm diver watch, if not larger.

Omega Speedmaster (42mm)
speedy1.jpg

Breitling Navitimer 806 (41mm)
navitimer.jpg

Large-size EPSA super-compressor models (42mm)
frey1.jpg

Longines Majetek Czech Pilot (40.5mm, but wears MUCH larger)
majetek_sun.jpg

Enicar Sherpa Dive (40mm)
sherpa1.jpg

Eterna Super Kontiki (40mm)
superwrist.jpg

Rolex GMT Master (40mm)
pepsi.jpg

Here is a 38mm chronograph that seems quite large on the wrist because of the extremely narrow bezel.
grana1.jpg

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts

Especially love the longines
Majetek Czech Pilot and the navi.
OK, if that means you're not interested in diver watches, that's a helpful distinction, because frankly most of the larger vintage watches fit into that category. In that case, you are probably going to be looking mainly at chronographs. There are also some 1970s models with large cushion cases.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the links guys,
Love the look of the portuguese.
I'll definitely be looking into that.
Yeah i do love chronographs.

I just thinks its cool to have something that's over 50 years old and still working perfectly.
I have my grandfathers shelf clock that's over 100 years old and still working.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
Thanks for all the links guys,
Love the look of the portuguese.
I'll definitely be looking into that.
Yeah i do love chronographs.
The IWC ref 325 is an awesome watch, but finding a decent one on the market is really not very realistic even if you have $50k+ to spend.

If you like chronographs, my personal recommendation would be to continue to look at the Omega Speedmaster Pro. Yes, they are popular and an obvious choice, but for good reason. I resisted for several years, but when I did buy one, I liked it much more than I expected, and it has grown on me even more over time. The pre-moon versions have gone up in price, and as a result the vintage market is a bit of a minefield; but there are very good resources out there to help you identify correct examples. Also, the 1970s models are still more affordable and readily available.

In contrast, the Breitling Navitimer, while a great watch, has an overly busy dial, and sometimes feels like a novelty watch to me. While it's fun to wear now and then, I rarely find myself reaching for it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the recommendation Dan.
Sorry should of mentioned i already have a speedy pro and love it.
Its the 42mm and is the perfect size for me.
I could always go for a speedy panda:)

·
Registered
434 Posts
This might be bringing an old thread back from the dead, but what about the Ricoh World Timer?

If you don't want to drop the coin on an Enicar this watch is a great option.

727033417_o.jpg

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a JLC dresser at 38mm but it took me quite a while to find it. The combination of vintage and 'big' is just a difficult match. Especially 40mm or more!
Divers and chrono's are probably your best bet as mentioned before.

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,939 Posts
Britscar chrono and Dreffa chrono

Aquastar Benthos 500

Zenith El Primero Subsea

·
Registered
431 Posts
OK, if that means you're not interested in diver watches, that's a helpful distinction, because frankly most of the larger vintage watches fit into that category. In that case, you are probably going to be looking mainly at chronographs. There are also some 1970s models with large cushion cases.
with respect to the 70s models with the cushion cases, is the cushion included in the measurement? i.e., a 35mm diameter dial sitting on a big fat cushion is still going to cover your wrist, right?

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
with respect to the 70s models with the cushion cases, is the cushion included in the measurement? i.e., a 35mm diameter dial sitting on a big fat cushion is still going to cover your wrist, right?
The standard measurement is of the case, side-to-side, not including crown. So the dial is not relevant. But your basic point is pertinent in that the same nominal size of watch may appear larger or smaller depending on the proportions. "All-dial" designs look larger. Square/oval designs look larger. Etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts