WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Casio fans!!

For the last couple of my adult years (that sounds awkward), I've relived my interest for watches. Especially Casio's (duh!).

I already own two Protrek's/Pathfinders.

But I'm looking for something more regular, without the ABC functions.

HELP!!!​

Looking for a watch with at least the following criteria's:

• Light (not the orange LED type..)
  • Countdown Timer
  • 10 year battery OR solar powered

Sure, easy right? Using Casio's product finder and searching the web provides a crap load of options.

What I want, is that typical, late 80's / 90's look, what Casio calls "eye candy" or "graphic area's A, B, etc" in their manuals.

Something with like a progress bar, or a dial which can count in seconds. Moving graphics in other words

Classics, like the DW7300, DW7600, DW7800, etc comes to mind. BUT those are super scarce and comes with NO light to my knowledge.

Any suggestions Casio fans?????

b-) Let's relive the golden age of watch "eye-candy"!! b-)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
DW-6900, DW-5600E, DW-9052 about as basic and classic you can get.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GD-X6900? Has a ten year battery, and plenty of eye candy along the top half. Or a GW-6900 if you want solar instead.
The GD-x6900 & GW-6900 are two very popular models. What I don't like form them, is that those "eyes" (graphical parts), isn't divided into actual second increments. Meaning, each tick of a second, doesn't actually represent an actual second line, if that makes sense.

I'm looking for something like the GD-110, but not so big and that cheap, shiny looking black plastic look. It at least has an eye which can count down/up each second on the display 'eye'.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
The GD-x6900 & GW-6900 are two very popular models. What I don't like form them, is that those "eyes" (graphical parts), isn't divided into actual second increments. Meaning, each tick of a second, doesn't actually represent an actual second line, if that makes sense.

I'm looking for something like the GD-110, but not so big and that cheap, shiny looking black plastic look. It at least has an eye which can count down/up each second on the display 'eye'.
So you want an eye that can count 60 individual seconds in one go? G(W)-9300, GW-9400, and G(W)F-1000 all do that, I don't know of any others though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct, but those models you gave, are all some form of ABC type watches (and still pretty pricy - even 2nd hand).

Doesn't have to be Gshock or one of the latest watches.

The classics I mentioned, does not have a light, nevermind 10 year or solar battery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The moon phase and tide graph is fancy looking, but it has no 60 second counter - which is a must to give one that retro Casio look IMO.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Correct, but those models you gave, are all some form of ABC type watches (and still pretty pricy - even 2nd hand).

Doesn't have to be Gshock or one of the latest watches.

The classics I mentioned, does not have a light, nevermind 10 year or solar battery.
Well you might have to give up the 60 second counter, but I'm not familiar with non-G Casio's at all, so I can't help there... Unless you go for an actual retro one, but then finding what you want in good condition won't be easy either.

·
Registered
399 Posts
..and the DW-5600E has no "eye candy", besides that I don't like the square look LOL.
*eye twitch* Wash yo' mouth out with soap...

Even though you're not a square fan *twitch again*, one such square that looks to meet your requirements is the GW-5000:
CasioGW5000_08MAR12.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing wrong with the square look. Pure Casio:)

I'm simply talking about something with a round dial (eye), or progress bar, which shows visually (not with digits) how the seconds have counted backwards or forward.

Today I was considering the AQF-102w. But I'm not fond of the font used for normal time reading. Does have some nice "graphics" and the bonus of a thermometer, even though not a necessity (since you need to take the watch off.........defeating the point of a wrist watch........in order to get a temperature reading.
AQF-102W.jpg

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
DW-6600, my favourite G-Shock, other than screwback squares:

(Picture taken from Ontario Geardo: G-Shock DW-6600 Review)

The graphic areas are a delight, I sometimes wait for 00" and 30" just to see all the red and green. They can be found on eBay fairly readily, though interest has increased due to 'American Sniper' and the prices were unreasonable for a while. The battery is rated for the typical 2 years but Casio is incredibly conservative with their numbers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the suggestion of the DW-6600. I especially like the 'steel' buttons. More durable looking. Battery life isn't so important. Not fond of the graphics, triangle 'eye-candy'.

But yes, watching the graphics tick-away, is a delight. What I like about the older Casio watches, found in this model :) This one also isn't so in-your-face.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Try this..
I always like the golden eye :)
Though its discontinued, but you can get the newer model GW2310.

Reactions: idkfa

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Go for a DW6600, used ones still pop up and NOS ones for about the same price of a new model G-Shock. It has the brightest EL light you will ever see and has the countdown timer and the progress bars and all the usual Japanese quirky looks. I put mine on a combi bracelet and now it's my favourite G-Shock ever.

0503_zpsa2lokbet.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The GW2310 sure is pretty. I like it, but no eye-candy which shows seconds counting up or down. But it sure is handsome IMO.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far guys!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you look on the right-hand side, the 7900 actually does- two rows of digits indicating 5 minutes or something for each bar. I had to look at some YouTube videos to see it though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts