WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi - having been collecting vintage watches since roughly February 2014, I thought I would try to provide a summary of the watches and my experiences so far in this interesting hobby.

Historically I have collected art since I was a poor graduate student, using credit cards when I had no income and more recently, over the last about 20 years I have collected Bordeaux wine, but beyond that I haven't tended to have hobbies.

How I started collecting watches in the last year, including vintage because I like history and the 'historical aesthetics' of vintage watches is a simple story. I never focused much on watches, having a few Movados over the years and various $25 knockoffs from the streets of NY.

This is partly because my younger brother buys expensive Omegas and Rolexes using mostly my Father's money so I was a little anti-watch.

Then my Father died about 2 years ago (RIP Dad) and as the oldest sibling I received his Dfreemont Mt Palomar watch. I started wearing it and through bad luck had it stolen from my briefcase in Waterloo Station - I agonised for a few days before realising a lifetime of love and experiences and half my genes were MUCH more important than my Father's watch. So kind of to honour him I started researching watches, purchasing them and acquired my first Vintage watch in February - now I have 36 vintage watches - all acquired this year !

A few more overview comments and then I'll explain how I have organised my 'collection'.

Generally, I have always liked Art Deco as a style and so even as my vintage tastes have evolved some, they have been pretty solid in three vintage niches - trench-style, Art Deco and 40s/50s chronographs.

A Few broad 'stylised facts':

(1) having acquired 36 watches over 7 months I have sold none but semi traded 2 others to another WUS vintage collector to help his growing collection. So I actually purchased 38 watches, or about 1 every 5.5 days.

(2) of the core 36, while I have said here before, I don't mind re-dials if done well, only 8 of these watches have been re-dialed as far as I can tell, or about 22% of the total.

(3) I have assessed all 36 watches and divided them into 5 tiers. Tier 1 are my TOP favourites - tier 5, of which there are 5 watches are ones where I actually to be honest don't like them as much and if I had it to do over, wouldn't have purchased these. Maybe I should give these 5 watches, or 14% to other collectors here !

(4) in the end within these three broad niches, what I have been attracted to is uniqueness - nice watches, not too small with strong aesthetics that you can realise you WON'T go to a meeting and find the same watch on someone's wrist sitting next to you !

(5) almost universally - these watches all needed both a service and a new strap.

6 watches are still with my Sister in California so I haven't even seen them yet in person ! So I'll use seller pics for those:

Without further ado - Tier 1:

(1) Tier 1 - includes 7 watches:

1921 Gallet Electa 18 ct Trench Style - could well have been a gift to Julian Gallet for Christmas 1921 given the custom engraving.

(2) 1938 Longines 18ct gold Cushion (confirmed by Longines, invoiced to Wittnauer in the US) - some radioactive lum, original dial.

(3) 1920s Sterling Silver Fortnum & Mason huge watch - unique, see recent thread.

(4) 1933 14 ct solid gold Longines Tonneau - on the larger side, confirmed by Longines also invoiced to Wittnauer - one of my dressiest vintage watches.

(5) Eberhard Extra Fort 18ct gold chrono- plan is to do a complete movement refurb as I purchased this below market I believe.

(6) Black gold plated Moeris original dial late 50s/early 60s chrono - I really like this watch ! With the elephant strap..

(7) 1917 Sterling Silver Moser Trench-Style watch. (Still in California...)

So this is Tier 1 - very interesting unique vintage watches that are my favourites of the ones acquired to-date. I'll start with a 'family pic' of the 5 I have that aren't with my sister and then provide other pics of the watches.

Here is the Eberhard which is one of the two re dials in tier 1 along with another Eberhard original dial which I believe was possibly used for ideas to re-dial the Extra Fort watch.

Movement shows some 'stress' which is why I want to refurb it.

Longines cushion in the fog...

1933 Longines Tonneau over coffee...

Custom 1921 Christmas engraving ...for Julian Gallet ?

Moser Hallmarks - beautiful !

Thanks for reading - next instalment, Tier 2. Cheers, Scott

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalkk

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Woow Scott,beautiful track.RIP father has left you also good taste of watches.

That Electa,Longines cushion and FM I would take any-day of the week,they are my favs in your tier 1. Looking forward the next parts of presentation.

That Electa and the initials,I would certainly research deeply.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shum - you wish !

The 5 in Tier 5, the last grouping are the ones I want to give away !!! Not these ...

You'll have to wait for the sequel !!! You zeroed in on what I think was the best buy to date, the Longines cushion. I only purchased 2 out of 36 in markets and one of those two was the 18ct Longines cushion - I got a service done by my watchmaker and I had purchased it from Nicki at Spitalfields in London (see pic) . I found a similar 18ct solid gold Longines cushion on an upscale web site for 3X what I paid ! So a service plus the watch at 1/3 the price if you're lucky seems to be a good deal !

I mentioned that I purchased the other two I traded/sold to another collector for below market as a gift - so maybe as mentioned I should take the 5 watches in Tier 5 and give them away to WUS collectors as a gift !! I guess everyone will have to wait for the 5th instalment !!! Cheers, Scott

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woow Scott,beautiful track.RIP father has left you also good taste of watches.

That Electa,Longines cushion and FM I would take any-day of the week,they are my favs in your tier 1. Looking forward the next parts of presentation.

That Electa and the initials,I would certainly research deeply.
Thanks Emre - from what I have found, I believe Julian Gallet was the 2nd or third offspring of the original Julian Gallet who founded Gallet in the 1830s/40s - these are rough dates. It was this Julian Gallet who was running Gallet/Electa from the late 19th century until the 20s/30s ? I think they busted in the early 20s after Post-WW1 watch demand plummeted.

So the hypothesis I read from the seller is that 'WF' is for 'Watch Factory' and 'JG' is for 'Julian Gallet' and the 'JG' and 'WF' are off set some in the engraving so it might have been a 1921 Christmas gift for a senior Gallet Exec of Gallet himself.. To-date I ADMIT I have been lazy not to send pics directly to Gallet and ask ! Cheers, Scott

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shum's swedish english sucks,from my turkish english I understood that you will give away the Gallet :)

edit:love that strap on the Moeris
Give away !!! Of course .... In exchange for ....___ - seriously the Gallet is at the top
Of my uniqueness list for my collection ! Second being the FM ! Scott

PS - I'll give away Tier 5 and then we can discuss other tiers !

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everyone reading my thread / thanks for the interest ! But I'm serious when I get to Tier 5 - I'm giving them away - assume gifting doesn't violate the thread policy ?! Scott

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
:) Sounds romantic,but needs evidence.

The very nice thing is,the case number is also '1921' as the engraved year. Might find ancestry son of Leon Gallet,Julien Gallet.Back then especially these watchmaking dynasties had a lot of names like: Charles Auguste Louis Eugene Meylan. Possibility is,if it's Julien Gallet of course,that it's the whole name.I am sure Gallet & Co can give you more information - even if not it's a wonderful piece.

Edit:I don't want anything,I would prefer you give them to beginner collectors so we have one more sick person in our classroom:)

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes Emre - but I personally like to 'give to those that help me' !

Great to give to a beginner but I'm happier giving something to you ! By the way, trying to decide how often to update this thread from Tier 1 to Tier 2 etc - what do you think - every day, week, month or year !!! Probably 5 years to get to Tier 5 is a bit much ! S

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for commenting - just to make an historical link as this thread takes on a life of it's own, my Father's last watch that launched my interest and therefore this thread was a dFreemont Mt Palomar COSC grade watch designed after Mt Palomar, in North San Diego which had a 200 inch telescope and is run by CalTech.

My Father actually was a Physicist and lucky or not (due to radiation exposure) I was conceived at the White Sands New Mexico missile proving test grounds before moving to Cape Canaveral as a XXX year old and living on the Beach so this watch was given to my Father as a Birthday gift by the 3 siblings because it broadly connected to his work, S ( this is a version of watch that was stolen and launched 759 posts)

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalkkq

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice story on how you started collecting watches R.I.P to your Dad. Nice collection you have so far.
Thanks JoeUK !!! S

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Emre - you know, when I replaced my Father's Palomar I purchased two different Dfreemont watches, a voyager and a sapphire, S

m

Reactions: busmatt and Emre

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Hi scott
Welcome to the world of vintage collection, I am pleased you stick with your 'afficion'.

My constant advice is "buy the best you can afford, buy what you like and stay away from re-dials"

PS I think 36 watches in one year is 1 per 10 days. Darn, I must be buying 1 per minute!!!!

Adam

Reactions: Wibbs and Sdasurrey

·
Registered
12 Posts
What a lovely collection of watches! And 36 since February ?.. Seems like an expensive hobby! It's nice to know that your father was the one to help you find your 'love' of vintage watches, even after such a horrible thing happened! It's funny how things turn out eh? Keep us posted with your collection!

Thanks, Simon (Bordeaux is my preferred red!)

·
Registered
223 Posts
This is what WUS is all about to me. We all have a different story, but we all have the same passion. We may live thousands of miles away, but we're all one big family.

It's nice to see you (and your brother) carry out your father's legacy. You have some fine tastes! Not one watch I don't like. (Pretty rare 'cause I'm so picky! :-d) Love that Moeris and the elephant strap! Great combo!

Thanks for the cool thread!

1 - 20 of 268 Posts