WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to understand how my Casio G-Shock GB-6900BU handles DST

Here in the UK the clocks went back one hour at 2:00 on Sunday 28 October
On Saturday evening 27 October I had “DST” showing in my display.

When I awoke at 07:00 on Sunday morning the watch was giving me 08:00, that is to say, it had not automatically put itself back one hour. “DST” was still being displayed.

Should the watch have automatically adjusted itself?

Thanks, OneTime

·
Registered
564 Posts
It recived the signal before time change(00:00 or 01:00). It will correct itself the following night. Happened to me couple of times. If it recives signal at 03:00 it will turn off DST because it is turned off in the tower. Before that it is still DST time in the signal.

·
Premium Member
61,712 Posts
The GB-6900BU is a Bluetooth phone isn't it? A quick chat with your phone (or wherever it syncs to) should sort it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slac89, that’s brilliant - thanks very much.
It did cross my mind that there could be an updating signal delay.
This happens to our Panasonic cordless phones at home - now I know why!

Thanks also for the quick response.

OneTime

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sticky, you’re ahead of me again, well done!

I didn’t want to complicate my original post by adding that I adjusted the watch to the correct time by launching my G-SHOCK+ app on my Apple iPhone SE then pressed button B on the watch to connect - immediate sync with the correct time on the iPhone.
I don’t have my G-SHOCK+ app running continuously.

Thanks, OneTime

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slac89, I’ve just realised that I may have misunderstood your explanation?
My GB-6900BU is not radio-controlled is it?
So how could it receive a time signal?

OneTime

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t know what “MB6” is?
Anyway, I’ll study the User’s Guide again to see if I can figure out what’s happening.

OneTime

·
Premium Member
61,712 Posts
As far as I know your watch is BlueTooth only and not Multiband 6 - that is to say that it doesn’t pick up the sync radio signal from one of the 6 towers on the Earth.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sticky, ok thanks, got it.
That’s what I thought, it’s not a radio controlled module like my Citizen.
I’ll keep plugging away at the User’s Guide.

OneTime

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sticky & other G-Shock experts, am I right in assuming that twice a year I’ve got to manually set DST to either Off or On?

That is as far as my module is concerned, in “Timekeeping Mode”, hold down A to until the time zone setting screen appears, then press C to move to “Summer time”, then use B or D to set UTC to +1 (Oct --> March) or +0 (March —> Oct)

The module does not automatically recognise the point at which to change DST e.g. 02:00 on the last Sunday I. October (UK), right?

OneTime

·
Premium Member
61,712 Posts
I THINK that on yonder watch if you sync with Bluetooth after the DST has taken place the watch will update automatically. This is only true for your home city and for world time use the DST has to be turned on/off manually on the watch.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sticky, ok thanks but suppose that I don't use my G-SHOCK+ app to connect by Bluetooth to sync and update to DST. For example, if I didn't have an Apple or Android smart phone (please don't say why did you buy a GB-6900BU then ha-ha), have I got to go in and manually "push" it to DST or UTC 0+ twice a year for my home city?

"This is only true for your home city and for world time use the DST has to be turned on/off manually on the watch."
Yes understood thanks and I think I've found that in the User Guide page E-26, in bold and marked "Important!" "Even when Mobile Link is enabled you need to turn the summer time (DST) on or off manually for World Time"

OneTime
btw the 'shakespearean/English classical literature' phrase "...that on yonder watch " made me smile. Ha-ha

·
Premium Member
61,712 Posts
If you don't sync with a phone then it's a watch job I'm afraid. I think you can just toggle the DST on or off and it will have the desired effect.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sticky, thanks for your patience and help on this one.

"If you don't sync with a phone then it's a watch job I'm afraid."
Yes, I can see this, not least because page E-27 of the User's Guide says "... the period during which and the areas where summer time is applied depend on each country. Some countries or geographic areas may not (even) use summer time" My brackets.
That would be very difficult or impossible for the manufacturer to build into all the modules they ship around the world wouldn't it?

"I think you can just toggle the DST on or off and it will have the desired effect."
Yes you can, and it's not difficult once you've done it a few times.

At least that function saves us from syncing the hour, minute, second, hundredths of a second each time we change from/to DST, right? We do/used to do this on our mechanical and lower-end quartz watches, right. That has to be a very good thing and maybe, is why they make the function available to us. Am I getting there? Ha-ha.

In my first post I said, "When I awoke at 07:00 on Sunday morning the watch was giving me 08:00, that is to say, it had not automatically put itself back one hour. “DST” was still being displayed."
So, all I needed to do that morning was to toggle DST "Off" as you have said to get me back to UTC+0, which is where I wanted to be. It's is as easy as that.
I've got it, haven't I?? Phew!

OneTime

·
Premium Member
61,712 Posts
Essentially yes but as far as I know syncing with your phone after the DST change will do it for you. I don't know for sure as both of my BT only G's did it themselves (clever little blighters). If if doesn't work then it's only a case of toggling the DST on/off.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sticky, thanks for that reassurance.
" .... as far as I know syncing with your phone after the DST change will do it for you."
Yes that's right because that's what I did as soon as I noticed it hadn't changed to UTC 0+ on Sunday morning.

"If if doesn't work then it's only a case of toggling the DST on/off"
Yup, understood and I know how to do that now.

When you say " ... I don't know for sure as both of my BT only G's did it themselves "
What G-Shock models are they and, what are they connecting to?

OneTime

·
Premium Member
61,712 Posts
sticky, thanks for that reassurance.
" .... as far as I know syncing with your phone after the DST change will do it for you."
Yes that's right because that's what I did as soon as I noticed it hadn't changed to UTC 0+ on Sunday morning.

"If if doesn't work then it's only a case of toggling the DST on/off"
Yup, understood and I know how to do that now.

When you say " ... I don't know for sure as both of my BT only G's did it themselves "
What G-Shock models are they and, what are they connecting to?

OneTime
One’s my B1000 Rangeman and I think (though I wouldn’t swear to it syncing itself) is the GravityMaster. Both are connected to the G Shock Connected app on my iPad

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sticky, yes I understand and I’m not surprised that the Casio engineers/programmers fixed things so this this would happen (self-syncing), although the notes/guidance for using the G-SHOCK+ app does not seem to say this function is there, do they?

I think I mentioned that I don’t have my G-SHOCK+ app running all the time and, I always turn my iPhone SE (where my G-SHOCK+ app resides) off at night.
I’ll make a note to leave the app running and iPhone on when the clocks go forward next March to let the magic happen!

I’d love one of those Rangemans and was reading up on them only last week.

OneTime

1 - 19 of 19 Posts