WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I have had my Black Sumo, which I got from a member here on the forum about 2 months ago.

I wear it non-stop, except for the last week or so, I have been painting, and take it off for a few hours when I painted this weekend (I don't know if that is relevant or not).

You can imagine my surprise, when it SEEMED to be running a little fast yesterday, so last night, I synched it with my cellphone at 10 pm, set it on the nightstand, and at 8 am this morning, the watch said 8:58!!!

So it gained almost an hour in that time. What could have caused this, and since it is a JDM model, where can I take it/send it to get adjusted?

Can I let it run out of reserve power by not wearing it, then start it up again?

Thanks in Advance for all your help, and Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey, I have since read the "tapping a Seiko" thread, and will try that!

Sorry for not searching first, I never thought this would be a "common" problem...

·
Registered
Proud Casio G-SHOCK fanboy
8,877 Posts
Hey, I have since read the "tapping a Seiko" thread, and will try that!

Sorry for not searching first, I never thought this would be a "common" problem...
Be careful with doing that. I believe Pawl_buster or someone said that doing so could do more damage than good in an older post somewhere.

I suggest observing the watch some more, letting it run out of juice first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like that is a possible pitfall, thanks.I will now have to resist wearing it for 50 hours, or whatever that reserve is.....

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I would recommend trying to set the time again and observing the accuracy again. Might be user error in setting the time the night before.

This once happened to a Kobold SEAL I once owned. Set the time the night before, and later on in the day it was an hour off. I reset the time and it kept perfect time after that. I reasoned it out later that it was user error in setting the time the night before.

If you still have accuracy problems, then yes; there is an issue with your movement. I am certain that any competent watchmaker can fix your problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I've set the time an hour off a few times too :(. One time I didn't notice until someone asked me for the time and I realized my watch was an hour fast (I had known the time from looking at my phone earlier).

Anyway another possibility is that it's magnetized .

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

·
Registered
773 Posts
The most common symptom for an increase in speed like that is magnetism. A common problem i fix before and after i service a watch. What causes the increase in speed is the hair spring sticks to itself. 31

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I would recommend trying to set the time again and observing the accuracy again. Might be user error in setting the time the night before.

This once happened to a Kobold SEAL I once owned. Set the time the night before, and later on in the day it was an hour off. I reset the time and it kept perfect time after that. I reasoned it out later that it was user error in setting the time the night before.

If you still have accuracy problems, then yes; there is an issue with your movement. I am certain that any competent watchmaker can fix your problem. Good luck.
This is a good point. I've done this as well by setting my watch according to a clock that was simply off. I looked later and realized that I had gained like 15 minutes and started freaking out, only to realize it was simply the wrong time on clock I used when I set my watch.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
The most common symptom for an increase in speed like that is magnetism. A common problem i fix before and after i service a watch. What causes the increase in speed is the hair spring sticks to itself. 31
It could be magnetism but not likely with this calibre. A member of another Seiko forum did some drastic tests to some 7sxx watches with heavy duty magnets; speaker coils and I forget what else; but he was unable to cause any of the watches he tested to become magnetized. Maybe Swiss watches magnetize easily but Seikos certainly don't.

The 6r15 B and C versions(along with it's 7sxx cousins) have a basic design flaw. The hairspring is all too easily jarred way out of shape and when this happens, the poorly designed regulator pins catch on of the outside loops as it is flying around.

We are constantly hearing about this problem; small bumps on door jams; arrived fast in shipping; drops on the floor, counter, couch, etc.

·
Banned
703 Posts
My sumo was wound seven days ago, worn mon-fri and left dormant all day saturday. It is +5 seconds since 7 days ago. Accuracy checked against a digital watch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts