WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that everyone complains about the Sumo lug width at 20mm is too small for the watch, and that since the watch is 44mm, it should have come with a 22mm bracelet.

I just noticed that the Marine Master has the same case size (44mm) and the same lug width (20mm) as the Sumo, yet I can't find one mention of anyone complaining about the bracelet size on the Marine Master.

What's the deal?

I was wondering why Seiko did go with the 20mm bracelet on the Sumo instead of a 22mm.

Could it be the Sumo has the 20mm bracelet in deference to the Marine Master?

Or maybe because the Submariner has a 20 mm bracelet?

Or maybe becasue the Nato strap originally came in 20 mm size?
From Wjean's ebay auction:
“NATO” (originals to the Rhino, Waterborne, or Maratec Zulu straps) is based upon the standard watch strap issued by the British UK Ministry of Defense (MOD). Called the “G10″ by members of the British military because of the form used to requisition the strap (and other items) from inventory, the reason it got its “NATO” name is because the strap has a NSN or NATO Stock Number which identifies this type of strap. Incidentally, the actual military spec strap comes in only one color (Admiralty Grey) and one width (20mm). The hardware specs have not changed (chrome plated brass), though at least some of the straps currently issued have stainless steel fittings. And there are actually TWO NATO stock numbers for the straps: Army/Navy (6645-99-124-2986) and RAF (6645-99-527-7059). …

What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yes they both have 20mm lugs and I think the reason you don't hear complaints about it on the Marine Master is because of the way the case is cut it gives it a more symmetrical look with the smaller bracelet. You can see what I mean in the pics below.
Sumo
s_sbdc001a.jpg
MM300
mma.jpg

·
Registered
561 Posts
I for one would prefer a 22mm bracelet on my MM300 to the stock 20mm. I don't like the MM bracelet at all, frankly, but the clasp is so excellent I'm willing to put up with the bracelet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I don't see the difference. The cases of both watches appear to angle the same to the bracelet. Maybe I need to hold them in my hand.

The point I'm making is there is a "dog pile on the rabbit" effect going on here.

It seems every thread on the Sumo has posts that the watch is ruined because of the "small" 20 mm bracelet.

Yet, the Marine Master is the same size case with the same size bracelet, yet every thread of the Marine Master has not one mention of the bracelet.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
All I can tell you is I had a Sumo and just the way the case slopes off from the lugs all the way down the sides with no brakes plus the Sumo has longer lugs. I just got my MM300 today and I can tell you it looks more like a 42mm than the 44mm that it is. Below is the best I can do to show what I'm referring to on the lugs and the way there cut. The edge cut on the MM300 gives the top of the watch a smaller looking profile, I hope that helps. Plus when your looking at the MM300 in person your so mesmerized by the beauty of the watch, who can look at the band? :-d
Sumo
A1.jpg
MM300
A2.jpg

Reactions: bluloo

·
Registered
768 Posts
What is width of MM (sumo) bracelet just before clasp? And what is clasp width? Bracelet seems to tapper a little. I'm thinking to get MM300 (or MM600) as a company to my Ananta SD and 6309-7049 but that bracelet thing makes me suspicious.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
The MM300 seems to flow better, but I've never held one. I wore a Sumo for about a year and still couldn't get over the small bracelet especially when comparing it to the BFK's. It wouldn't have been so bad if there wasn't so much play in the endlinks to the case. It would rattle side to side at times and seeing the small gap it formed really exacerbated the problem. I would have been happy if the lugs did curve more to the bracelet, but it felt halfway between a cushion case and the design of the Omega SMP lugs. It was the watch I wanted to be the last watch I really needed to buy and did sell off most at that time, but I just couldn't make it my last with how much that bothered me.

·
Registered
561 Posts
What is width of MM (sumo) bracelet just before clasp? And what is clasp width? Bracelet seems to...
It's a 20/18, 20mm at the lugs tapering to 18mm at the clasp, with the clasp itself coming in at perhaps 19mm? Anyway, the clasp is designed to fit an 18mm bracelet width. I'd look at switching the bracelet out for an aftermarket one, but I'd want (a) solid end links (b) lug overhang on link #1 to maximize bracelet width (c) screwed links and crucially (d) to keep that excellent clasp.

I don't think I know of any bracelet that exists or could be modified to fit the bill, but if someone has a suggestion I'm all ears.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The Marine Master tapers from 20mm at the lugs to 18mm at the clasp just like the Sumo. You need to understand on the MM600, I assume you mean the SD600? if so there is a permanent center link between the lugs so it will limit the choice on bracelets to the one it comes with and can somewhat limit the choices on straps without some modifications to the straps. You can see what I'm referring to in this link. https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/sbdb001-spring-drive-sd600-isofrane-605789.html

·
Registered
768 Posts
The Marine Master tapers from 20mm at the lugs to 18mm at the clasp just like the Sumo. You need to understand on the MM600, I assume you mean the SD600? if so there is a permanent center link between the lugs so it will limit the choice on bracelets to the one it comes with and can somewhat limit the choices on straps without some modifications to the straps. You can see what I'm referring to in this link. https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/sbdb001-spring-drive-sd600-isofrane-605789.html

Thank you for really fast and accurate answers... and yes I meant SD600, sorry. To be honest that Isofrane does not look too good, but luckily I'm more a bracelet guy.

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
I notice that everyone complains about the Sumo lug width at 20mm is too small for the watch, and that since the watch is 44mm, it should have come with a 22mm bracelet.

I just noticed that the Marine Master has the same case size (44mm) and the same lug width (20mm) as the Sumo, yet I can't find one mention of anyone complaining about the bracelet size on the Marine Master.

What's the deal?
I have seen it complained about multiple times in the dive watch forum. Heck, I have complained about multiple times in the dive watch forum ;-)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I haven't worn or re-sized my Sumo yet but i think the bracelet looks fine. Might wear it with a nato though or purchase an anvil that looks great base on other member's pics ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just found this thread so sorry for the necro-thread, and i just bought a sumo, but really, 2mm? I'm picky but that is a really small measurement. The first week mine gained 1 second. 1 second in a week. Both my monsters with both the movements and the 22MM band lose more time than that in a day. chill. These are great watches for the price. Solid.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I think the issue w/ the Sumo has to do with how it looks in pictures, meaning 2D. When you look at the watch as it if were laying flat, you're only seeing those 2 dimensions, and it looks weird. In person and in proper 3-dimensional view, there really isn't an issue, at least not in my opinion. The taper ends up looking great. It's something you have to see in real life.

·
Registered
543 Posts
This is exactly the reason my Sumos got flipped. I liked the watch but could not get over the drastic step down in size from the case to the bracelet. Even if the measurements are the same Sumo to MM300, the Marinemaster pulls it off so much better it's not an issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts