WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new watch and am considering one of these two watches, but I would like to know a few things about each.

What is the weight difference between the two and are either one overly heavy.

As far as the automatics, how accurate are they or should I just go for the kinetic.

Which do yall like better for an everyday watch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry I forgot to mention, either would be the black dial version.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
I'm looking for a new watch and am considering one of these two watches, but I would like to know a few things about each.

As far as the automatics, how accurate are they or should I just go for the kinetic.

The Monster is an entry level Seiko diver. It uses the 7S26 movement that does not hand wind or hack. While I personally don't care for the Monster, it is a very well built watch. The bezel, lume and bracelet all receive much praise. Still, this is a basic entry level piece. Most of them are cased in different countries other than Japan and widely available.

The Sumo is a much superior piece. It is a mid-range diver watch that is sold mostly in the Japan domestic market (The watch is also cased in Japan which ads to its perceived better quality). Its finish is vastly superior to that of the Monster as well as its dial, hands, case, bracelet, lume. The movement used in the sumo is the vaunted Seiko caliber 6R15 that hand winds and hacks. It is also regarded as a more robust and more accurate movement than the 7S26 found in the Monster. The Sumo costs at least 4 times as much as the Monster. I am not sure if the Sumo has a sapphire crystal over the Hardlex scratch resistant mineral glass found in the Monster.

Between the 2, The Sumo wins for me every time. The better watch all around, but again more expensive and can only be sourced from Japan.

The Sumo has its caveats, however. One of them is that the lug width size is only 20mm and the bracelet tapers all the way down to the clasp at 18mm. Some folks detest this quirk of the watch, others find it appealing.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
Both, the Monster and Sumo are automatic mechanical watches as I explained in my previous post. At least on paper, the 6R15 movement in the Sumo will have better accuracy than the 7S26 caliber found in the Monster.

But if accuracy is your goal, the quartz Kinetic will beat both of them, or at least, be more consistent in overall timekeeping accuracy.

One of my fav Kinetic divers is the big and chunky Seiko "Caesar" that pricewise fits right in between the Monster (low end) and the Sumo(High end). Another good thing about the Caesars is that these are officially imported into the US by Seiko, so they should be readily available at any brick and mortar Seiko AD or online retailers like www.princetonwatches.com:

I have handled the SKA383 Caesar Kinetic diver with a black dial and bracelet and it is one impressive watch.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts

The Monster comes in at 182g unsized, whereas I think the Sumo probably comes in at around 185g-190g unsized (which is a complete approximation). Essentially, weight-wise, they're gonna be very close to each other.

Both of these watches are rated to +25/-15 seconds per day, whereas quartz pieces will generally do about +/- 15 seconds per month or better. When it comes to accuracy, that's something that you definitely need to think about and decide how important it is to you.

Personally, I prefer the Monster to the Sumo, although that has no bearing on which one is the higher-end piece. Clearly that title goes to the Sumo (which is reflected in price).

So if I were to pick one for an everyday watch, I would definitely chose the Monster. That's just me though, and my decision would be purely subjective and be based mostly on my own personal preferences.

So which model do you prefer just by looking at 'em?

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I've got both. The Sumo is by far my favourite of the two, this watch is just so right. The only problem is the finishing on the case is so fine, the edges so perfectly honed, that I don't want to wear it for fear of ruining the edges. So I wear the Monster much more. And although I prefer the Sumo, the monster is AWESOME. A fatastic watch, one of the best mechanical divers under $400 IMO, the other being the SKX007/009.

The 6r15 is miles better than the 7s26, even though it is based on that movement. Accuracy wise, I've never noticed mine deviate from dead on (but I have never hacked it, and never worn it very long so draw your own conclusions). But I have read many many reports of aazing acuracy from 6r15 watches. Not something that can be said of the 7s26! Seiko is doing something to the 6r15 that the 7s26 misses out on. But if you want accuracy get a kinetic - I prefer the SKA369/427 over the Casear pictured above.

Both have hardlex crystals.

Bezel action on the Monster is exellent. And somehow even better (noticeably) on the Sumo. Bezel action on the SKA427 is also superb, better than the Monster.

The Sumo wears much bigger than the Monster.

It's been ages since I wore the Monster on the bracelet,but it's not heavy. Neither is the Sumo.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: M1K3Z0R

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
minidriver, you seem to be the authority in this forum, I really like the watch you recommended, would you recommend any other watch in this price range and where would be a good place I could get this watch online. Thanks again for everyone's help.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I am not sure if the Sumo has a sapphire crystal over the Hardlex scratch resistant mineral glass found in the Monster.
I can confirm that both carries Hardlex crystals and very few seiko's carries sapphire as OEM. Anyhow, it would be very cheap to get a sapphire for both of them but i am unsure of the charges to change it though.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
If you have the extra cash go for the Sumo! It is a far better watch than the Monster, quality wise. The Monster is excellent too though. The Sumo is just that good IMO.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
the two watches are both good...
but why not a sawtooth? :think:
between the first two i will go for the monster..

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
IMHO, the Monster represents a slightly better bang-for-the-buck value than the Sumo...maybe that's just me? The area in which the Monster earns this title is in the bracelet, where it is far superior to the Sumo.

Having said that, I've handled both pieces (several times), and both are extremely well-crafted timepieces that are exude an amazing quality regardless of their price tag.

I could easily see a Monster fetching $350-$400 were it a Swiss piece, and likewise the Sumo could easily pull down $1K if it had similar origins.

That's one of the main reason I love Seiko.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
If you have the extra cash go for the Sumo! It is a far better watch than the Monster, quality wise. The Monster is excellent too though. The Sumo is just that good IMO.
+1
I really don't like the style of the Monster, but it's a VERY good watch. But if price is not a problem, go for the Sumo, it is the better watch. And then change the bracelet to an Anvil, like I'm thinking of doing if I get it b-).

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
I have, or have had every Seiko diver there is that has been made since 1999 including a Grand Seiko diver. Here is where I put these two. The Monster is a weekender for me. I do a great deal of projects around our house and this is a piece that just takes a beating and never stops. I've tried many others in this role and nothing does it better. If your work week is not in an office this may be a good one for that too. This watch can be fitted with pretty much any straight end bracelet that will fit between the lugs. It also can be pretty heavily moded.

The Sumo for me is a substitute for something like a Omega PO. Compare the two and they are very similar. It is a great dual role (Business and leisure...Like the PO) watch and has more options than the Omega as far as color. The three I have had have kept time well. They are extremely well made and have one of the best bezel actions out there. I like it best on the bracelet where I feel it is very balanced as opposed to the many top heavy divers out there. All of mine have had great crown action and I like the look on the bracelet. A few naysayers feel the 20 mm bracelet is too small but there are several other bigger watches out there or of equal size with a 20mm also. This bracelet is what gives it it's nickname since a rather wide watch tapers to the bracelet. I have no issue with hardex crystals which both of these have.

As far as kinetic watch I would pass. The lower level versions have a ridiculous initial charging scheme so this leaves the Direct drive versions which all pretty much cost more than a Sumo and in some cases multiples of what the Sumo cost.

There is the 200M Orient that I would pass on. Not enough there to compete with the Sumo and far to expensive to be discussed against a monster (you could have a black, orange and one of the night monsters if you shop well for the same money).

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
minidriver, you seem to be the authority in this forum, I really like the watch you recommended, would you recommend any other watch in this price range and where would be a good place I could get this watch online. Thanks again for everyone's help.
You could try locating one at the following sites:

www.chronograph.com

www.creationwatches.com

www.watches88.com

www.amazon.com

www.bluedial.com

www.princentonwatches.com

And many others.

As a rule of thumb, always try before you buy.;-)

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
I'll have to second what most here have said. I own both piecs and find the Sumo to be the higher grade piece. the attention to detail is just that much higher on the sumo, as is the uniquenes and complexity of it's case design. That said, the Monster is by far the better buy for the buck. The sumo will probably be the better piece for daily wear, as it goes much better with many different types of clothing. The monster is a bit more of an extrovert. Both are exellent pieces and as was said above, in both cases you get a lot of watch for what you pay.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Re: Sumo vs. Monster = GO SUMO!

I own the Sumo and I have owned the Monster. Like the others have said, in their respective price ranges, both are great watches. The Sumo, however, is the better and more versatile watch, at least in my opinion, and it is my "everyday" watch. (It is not my "beater" watch, however--I have a G-Shock for that!)

To me, the Sumo is worth the extra money. It has the nicer, more classic looks (to me), better finish, and better accuracy (at least out of the box). With the 7s26 movement, my Monster was about +10-15 seconds per day while with the 6R15 movement, my Sumo runs nearly within COSC specs (-4/+6 seconds per day). Other than style, I don't think there is much difference in the bracelets--both are solid, and both are 20mm at the lugs tapering to 18mm at the clasp (both even have the same clasp). I think the bracelets on each fit the style of each watch. The bezel action is about the same on both--very good--although most of that has to to with the spring tension that they come with from the factory (which can vary from one watch to the next). Both watches have a Hardlex crystal--to my knowledge, no Seiko dive watch comes with a sapphire (except maybe the Grand Seiko diver or Spring Drive diver), however, there are aftermarket sapphire crystals available for both.

In my opinion, if you are looking around the $500 range, then I think you would be hard-pressed to find a better ISO diver for the money than the Sumo. In the $150-250 range, the Monster is nice, but there are quite a lot of other options (from Seiko and many other brands). Besides the Monster, I would look into the Seiko Black Knight (if you can find one) or the SKX007 or SKX171.

Here are some photos...

Sumo.

Black Knight.

SKX007.

SKX171.

Here's a photo of my Sumo which just had am aftermarket sapphire crystal installed as well as a new seconds hand with a red dot (like the old 6105 divers):

The parts came from Harold (aka "Yobokies") and the installation was done by Jack at IWW.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
everyone has a Monster
Not everyone. And even though I think the Sumo is too big for my wrist, I have one and would never trade it for a Monster. The Monster does nothing for me in any of its factory forms. Except the ones on Seiya's site that have a compass bezel and 6r15 movement. THAT is a Monster I might be willing to wear.

Not that the 7s26 Monsters aren't EXCELLENT watches. Just not particularly aesthetically pleasing to my eye, nor mechanically outstanding.

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
Is it just an optical illusion with the picture or does this not have any knurling on the crown?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts