WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Banned
2,835 Posts
When somebody receives an SKX with the bezel out of alignment, it's worthy of its own thread and 15 members swear they will never go near creationwatches again (even if it was bought from somewhere else).

Then you have a thread like this where multiple people have multiple vostoks with serious faults and half the participants defend the brand as just being acceptably quirky. It's great to have a vostok for a year or two without it dying. But for any other brand, that's really the minimum we would expect and hardly cause for celebration.

The awesome thing about affordables is that none of us have to spend so much on our collections to have to be personally invested in any brand. And many of us have multiple examples from all the brands discussed. It shouldn't be a problem to say that we think some of our purchases were better than others, should it?
Yep and yep again. The key words are emotionally invested. When my 2015 Mustang was crushed by a drunk driver a while back I was disappointed that I had not had it that long and it was toast, but after I called the PD, I called Allstate and moved on. It was just a car and far more importantly, no human beings were in it to be hurt. Of course it helped when the adjuster went to the wrecking yard the next day and handed me a check. Cash always helps the heart!

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
When somebody receives an SKX with the bezel out of alignment, it's worthy of its own thread and 15 members swear they will never go near creationwatches again (even if it was bought from somewhere else).

Then you have a thread like this where multiple people have multiple vostoks with serious faults and half the participants defend the brand as just being acceptably quirky. It's great to have a vostok for a year or two without it dying. But for any other brand, that's really the minimum we would expect and hardly cause for celebration.

The awesome thing about affordables is that none of us have to spend so much on our collections to have to be personally invested in any brand. And many of us have multiple examples from all the brands discussed. It shouldn't be a problem to say that we think some of our purchases were better than others, should it?
It shouldn't be such a problem. But it is. This is because we invest far too much of ourselves in the inanimate objects we buy. To admit that, perhaps perhaps, that Stuhrling Original Tempest automatic was a worse purchase than picking up a Bulova Adventurer quartz, is to then admit that we chose wrong. Or that the Seiko quartz we bought wasn't as nice a purchase as the Invicta automatic that we passed up because, you know, we can't like Invicta.

Of course, many WIS admit it daily, usually on F29 as they flip the last impulse buy they ended up not liking to fund another equally impulsive purchase they will also come to disdain. But unlike an ad on F29, an admission on a thread that their Vostok wasn't a good purchase is a little more public, a little more upfront, a lot more honest. You can always play off a flip by saying you're raising funds for another purchase. You don't have to say, "yeah, my decisionmaking was off this time."

Reactions: Bodyblue
81 - 83 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.