WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry who ever owns this forum... this is out of topic.

Guys It's kinda urgent and I have no idea how to find a good UV sunglasses for my dad who just took a cataract operation this morning and my mom was asking me get a good UV sunglasses for him. About the sunglasses I have no idea and I don't even know where to ask. I don't know any good forum like this. Any professional sunglasses made to prevent cataract? anyway thank you. Hope to find some sunglasses geeks.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I've always worn Oakleys and I have a few pairs, but my last pair I bought were XX Polarized and now none of my other pairs get worn. I would say since you're looking for the highest UV protection possible, polarized would be the best solution. These are the first pair of polarized sunglesses I've ever owned and now polarized will be a must when I buy sunglasses. I buy a new pair maybe every 2-3 years and I've only broken one pair, which still lasted me 5 years. Here's a picture of my XX Polarized with my Kinetic.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've always worn Oakleys and I have a few pairs, but my last pair I bought were XX Polarized and now none of my other pairs get worn. I would say since you're looking for the highest UV protection possible, polarized would be the best solution. These are the first pair of polarized sunglesses I've ever owned and now polarized will be a must when I buy sunglasses. I buy a new pair maybe every 2-3 years and I've only broken one pair, which still lasted me 5 years. Here's a picture of my XX Polarized with my Kinetic.
What a great match my friend. The combination of the two. So should I get that Kinetic Diver also? :think: Just kidding. Well I was reading some stuffs about Oakley on its official website just right now about the 7 properties of Oakley polarized sunglasses.

1. HDO
2. Infusion molding
3. Inpact Resistant
4. Hydrophobic
5. Axis of Polarization
6. Polarization Emission
7. Lens Options (tint choices)

As an experienced owner, Are these properties all true? I mean effectively all true and useful? and one last question. Is ray-ban good?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I do Oakleys myself and so far are my favorite brand for work and play. I have two right now, a pair of GASCANS and SPIKE.

I am not to versed on the subject of cataracts, but I don't think this can be prevented with any type of sunglasses. I may be wrong, though.

·
Registered
749 Posts
The best pair of sunglasses I ever owned were Revo. I wear prescription glasses now and my wife got the sunglasses. They really helped with light sensitivity, I don't know the requirements needed for cataracts, but you might want to look at their website. I miss wearing those glasses. I have safety sunglasses with prescription inserts but not near as nice as the revo. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
1,339 Posts
I'd have to say my Oakley Polarized lenses are the best pair I ever had. I have them in Titanium and Amber Black Iridium Polarized

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I have a pair of polarized Ray-Bans that are truly great. I have nothing against Oakleys, though...it's just that I have a narrow face and the Ray-Bans fit me better.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
1. HDO - High Definition Optics. Basically what this means is even on the sunglasses that the lenses have an extreme curve, they keep their clarity. They are so clear that if it wasn't for colored lenses or dark tints it would feel like you weren't even wearing sunglasses. I've never had a pair that didn't live up to this.

2. Infusion molding - Most polarized lenses have a film between two lenses to achieve the polarized effect, but Oakley forms them together. I think the main reason for this is reduced glare because there isn't a chance for a gap to form between any of the surfaces. I've tried on Ray-Bans and Maui Jims that were polarized and with the layered style like this, it makes everything rainbow colored. The Oakleys do that too, but not near as much. It must be how they align everything because I don't see LCD displays fade out or show spots bad unless I tilt my head or look at them at an extreme angle.

3. Impact Resistant - They aren't scratch proof, but they would definitely take a lot of force to break. My XXs already have a scratch on one of the lenses, but I wear them to work and they have been dropped a couple of times. I had a pair of the Oakley Pro M frames back in high school and I left them laying on my bed. My brother came running into the room and jumped and landed on the sunglasses. Didn't even crack them.

4. Hydrophobic - the description they write about this is weird on the site, but I have noticed this as I've worn my sunglasses in the rain and in the pool. It's odd because the water seems to run right off and the drops that stay on and spot don't leave a nasty calcium ring near as noticeable as it would on other surfaces and even after it dries it wipes right off.

5. Axis of Polarization - This kind of goes along with my opinion on the infusion molding. Since they align the the lenses better, level instead of the 5 degree leeway given by industry standards I think this is one of the main reasons that I didn't see as much rainbow effect in some things as I did with the Maui Jims. The only object I still see this in is window tint and I'll see a few dark spots in certain LCD displays, such as Toyota radios and I've noticed the new Corvette radio uses the same style display. On my GTO, the displays don't do this, but if I tilt my head they look black. Same thing with flatscreen computer monitors, so I would assume on other sunglasses if the polarization wasn't aligned properly that you could get these effects looking straight on them.

6. Polarization Emission - The glare resistance is insane. If the sun is beating on my car and I see the light reflecting off of it, it just looks like a white spot instead of the extreme glare without wearing them where you can see streaks coming out of this spot. Pretty cool.

7. Lens Options (tint choices) - This is pretty cool because lenses are interchangeable and are available at most dealers, some may require ordering. The polarized lenses are thicker than the standard Oakley lenses, but at least on the polarized models, you can change these out with other colors of polarized lenses, just like the regular lenses are interchangeable with each other. I still have the original lenses in my XXs, but on my other sunglasses I've had more than one lenses style and they are so easy to change that if you'd like a different color for a day it only takes a few seconds to pop on out and pop in a new one.

Oakley has it set up where you can design and buy sunglasses from their site, so if you want a certain color of lenses, earsocks(earpieces), or even Oakley emblems and frame colors, it can be done from there and ordered for the perfect combination. I haven't done this before as they recently started doing it where they even had a way to order from their site and when I walked into a Sunglasses Hut not too long ago I saw my latest pair and bought them, couldn't pass them up I liked them so much, but before that I had planned on designing a pair myself. Maybe next time.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I'd have to say my Oakley Polarized lenses are the best pair I ever had. I have them in Titanium and Amber Black Iridium Polarized
I love the black iridium polarized. That's what mine have and I think from the light emission ratings put out by Oakley is that they are the darkest polarized lenses they make.

V

·
0 Posts
SERENGETI...

For temporary wear, an Oakley is way too expensive and may not be suitable for an older man in terms of style. Most any decent sunglasses are able to keep out 99.9 % of UV so you don't have to worry.

There's a rating on sunglasses wrt light transmittance. Get the darker ones.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My husband have very sensitive eyes and wears Ray Ban polarized sun glasses. I also have polarized glasses but they are prescription. You could always take you dad to a place like Sunglass Hut at the mall so that he could check out a variety of styles and makes. I would think any quality name sunglasses should provide the UV protection that your father requires. You could always call up the people who did your dad's surgery to double check if there is anything special you should look for to give yourself piece of mind.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Maui Jims have awesome optics.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I liked the Maui Jims and how light they felt on my face, but I wasn't as impressed with the clarity as the Oakleys.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I wanna thank all of you to spend your time answering all my questions. Would like to hear more from you(greedy). Getting in love with the forum.

ColdHit
- Nice to hear that you enjoy your sunglasses. Will take a look at them. Cheers:)

Doug - Of course it helps a lot friend. Thanks for sharing your experience an yes your Revo is in my list already.

N_Jay - Thanks for the tip.

Dieselgeek - Wear them in good health;-) Thanks for sharing.

Nick1016 - Thanks for sharing your experience.

Torrid - Hell load of information there. Definition plus explanation. Indeed very uselful and I am a person who needs a long paragraph to understand something. Useful and informative. I'll take a note from it. :-! Thank you.

cpenning623 - Thanks for the tip:-!

vandice - Yes Oakley glasses are expensive and yes thank you for reminding me to look for other options.

psychmesu - You're right. It's the best to take a wearer to the shop and let him choose. But I live in Bangkok and my Dad is in Burma. So I'm hoping for the right guess and the right choice for him. Thanks for sharing your experience.

RRocket - Hell nice glasses there and I've put that brand in my list.
allanvalle - Thanks for the tip friend.

V

·
0 Posts
Hmmm... Sawardikrap.

I visit BKK often. If you're thinking of an available mall brand, I'll say Ray-bans are your best bet. Not the best (professional quality) optics out there but sufficient protection. Never goes out of style and your dad may even recognize the brand.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm... Sawardikrap.

I visit BKK often. If you're thinking of an available mall brand, I'll say Ray-bans are your best bet. Not the best (professional quality) optics out there but sufficient protection. Never goes out of style and your dad may even recognize the brand.

สวัสดีครับ (Sawasdee krub)

Well that's the brand he used to be very crazy about. Inspired from First Blood. He still has that one with him. :-!

V

·
0 Posts
Hahaha. First Blood eh... Didn't think it's a movie most ppl even heard about. Imagine a Syl with no wrinkles!

Well, I think that covers it for sunglasses then. Other than improved optics, protection hasn't changed much.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts