WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I hope all is well. I am wondering what colors of Super Luminova match the Green lume found on the Vostoks and Komanderskies?
Also does anyone know what color of Blue lume that Favinov uses to do his Blue lume?
Thanks so much, James.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one here does any relume with Superluminova swiss lume and knows the colors?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I use the genuine Swiss SuperLuminova from RC Tritec in Switzerland.

For standard Vostok colour I use:

Grade: X1
Colour: GL C3
Grain Size: 'Extra Fine'

This is the brightest lume that you can buy.
The grain sizes are perfect for hands and pips / indices.

The glow colour is nearly identical to the Vostok lume.

I prefer to replace the dial lume with the same lume that I use for the hands so that the brightness and colour are identical.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Blue Lume:

This is what I believe Favinov uses, and what I like to use:

SuperLuminova : Colour: BG W9

The glow colour is blue with only a slight green tint.
I believe this is the colour that Favinov uses.

It is the second brightest lume made by SuperLuminova, after C3.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Matt I hope you are doing well and thanks for chiming in. Yes I think I am referring to the glow color.
The chart and color samples from the manufacture have a little bit to be desired. I know for the Blue is BGW9
so then the green is GLC3...? there is a couple of choices of Green so thanks for clearing things up.
Which grain size is smaller 3 or 5, also there are 3 different grades, is A grade good enough?
Thanks Matt, James.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Hi James,

Grade A is good. It was the brightest in the world until Grade X1.
Grade A continues to be used on many, if not most, expensive watches that use SuperLuminova.
It is very bright with a long lasting glow.

I assume favinov uses Standard Grade to reduce the cost.

Grain Size: 'Extra Fine'

'Extra Fine' is all you need for Vostok hands and dials and bezel pips.

Small grains create a smoother paste that flows more easily and is easier to apply.
Small grains are technically less bright with a luminance that is of shorter duration versus larger grains, but because SuperLuminova 'Extra Fine' Grain is very bright with a long duration, the difference in performance is not a problem and not very noticeable.

Larger grains create a paste that is more difficult to spread across the openings of the hands and more difficult to apply on top of numbers or other markings on a dial where the paste must flow easily.
Larger grains also can create a slightly 'grainy' or slightly mottled appearance.
This is not as noticeable on large areas, but for hands and other small areas, and anywhere it is applied in a thin layer, it can be a problem.

2 grams of lume pigment powder is sufficient for many pairs of hands and many dial indices.

'Binders':

The RC Tritec Varnishes and Dilutors are excellent quality and they have several types designed for specific tasks.
The price is reasonable but they are EXPENSIVE to ship. Perhaps it is cheaper to ship within Europe, but it was very expensive to ship them to Canada because they are classified as a volatile chemical.

If shipping cost is too high, I suggest using standard varnishes or similar such as paint clear coats for plastic models.
Testors 'Glosscote' lacquer works very well.
It is nearly identical to the SuperLuminova varnish in ease of use and appearance.
Other lume sellers have binders that can be purchased separately.
Do not use anything that is water based, it will damage the grains.

Use a standard lacquer / paint thinner or dilutor to make the paste flow easily for the particular task.
It's trial and error and experience to find the best combination of lume powder, varnish and thinner / dilutor.

Here is some good info. for SuperLuminova:
https://www.snglrtywatch.com/all/ho...nova-episode-2-colors-quality-and-efficiency/

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much Matt for all the good info. Do you know if SuperLuminova has a sales website?
I have looked on ebay but some sellers make it look like they are selling SuperLuminova brand but it is not.
Some links for the BGW9 and GLC3 powders would be great.
I will probaly go the way of the Testors 'Glosscote' lacquer and thinner, so I just need to know where to get the powder.
Thank you so much Matt, you have been so helpful as always sir.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
SuperLuminova itself does not have a sales website.
RC Tritec in Switzerland is the producer, direct seller and supplier.
I know of no other sellers.
The Swiss watch part industry is tightly controlled.

You must contact them and tell them what you want and they will respond promptly and very courteously.
They will help you choose the best grade, colour, grain size etc. if you are unsure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts