WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Super Oyster II has been updated to make it fit a wider range of wrist sizes – and here is one of the first of this new batch.

Unwrapping: the William Jean SO II with Seiko 6309-729A.

Essentially, it’s the same SO II that has been documented previously, but with the addition of two extra removable links – one each side of the clasp. There are now a total of eight removable links, four each side of the clasp.

This means that the “revised” bracelet can be taken down to a smaller size, to fit a narrower wrist. According to the vendor, William Jean, it “generally fits 6.25-8.50 inch wrists.”

As I understand it, there will ultimately only be the one SO II – the one reviewed here with the extra links. William confirmed that he “plan to keep this version going forward - allows a larger market - us small wrist individuals.”

The current batch ships on a two-hole clasp – a four hole version might be ready for mid-March.

I paid $59 shipped for mine, and it took just over a week to cross Canada. (I’d posted on the Isthmus SO II review, asking if it would fit a six-and-a-half inch wrist; William contacted me, told about the upcoming revision, and I said I’d take the first one available.)

I bought it to go on a 6309-729A, as I like the contrast between metalwork and a Pepsi bezel. William also asked if I’d try it on my SKX031 as he’d received inquiries from owners looking for a SEL bracelet option.

The bracelet ships well wrapped, and weighs in at 97g (or at least, that’s the reading I got off the office postal meter - hey, only dieters and drug dealers have their own scales).

I don't have a regular SO to compare it to (for the obvious reason that it would never have fitted me), but I’m pleased with the quality of the bracelet. My intent here is to show how the endlinks fit with the two Seiko models mentioned above, not talk about how the bracelet feels, or any of that subjective stuff. (It's a bracelet; you either like them or not.)

Side view: SO II SEL's on Seiko 6309-729A.

Half way there: SO II on Seiko 6309-729A.

As you can see, they fit this 6309-729A just as well as they do the dive rated SKX cases (as seen previously in other reviews). The solid end links push into place, and are a reassuringly tight fit. They go in better from underneath, rather than slid along the length of the lugs.

However, the smaller cased SKX031 is another matter. The endlinks are just too chunky for the sleek lugs. Which is a real pity. If one watch deserved an all-solid bracelet, it’s this one.

Too tall: SO II SEL's on Seiko SKX031.

Too tall: From left, SO II SEL, SKX031 folded end link, Seiko SKX031 lugs.

Of course, getting in close on a macro setting does tend to make things look a lot more frightening than they really are. . . and I have to be honest and say that I didn't attach the endlink with a springbar (I was concerned that I'd not be able to remove it myself), I just pushed it into place. There might be some difference when it's fitted, but all the same, metal removal would be required to make it fit. If someone had a vice and a dremmel, it would be possible, I guess.

The bracelet fits the hollow end links that come with the watch, but that's not the point, is it?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I just got one of these in the mail two days ago too. I had no idea that it was any different from the first batch (only that it was part of a new shipment, explaining the order delay), but I remember removing three links, so there's a total of eight removable ones on mine too.

For a 6.5'' wrist though, I'd think that the first version would still fit as tightly as desired even without the additional two links and on a smaller watch than spec. My wrist is right about that size and I'm wearing mine on an SKX007 with five removable links on there. Three links will tighten that bracelet by a fair amount.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Very nice. Thanks for sharing and the excellent detailed information.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Thanks very much for the info. Nice pictures. :-!

·
Affordables Moderator
17,576 Posts
I love my Super Oyster II, next to the Watchadoo it's the best bracelet I've owned. I'm generally not a bracelet lover, but the SOII makes me want to wear my '007 more often :-!

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
308 Posts
However, the smaller cased SKX031 is another matter. The endlinks are just too chunky for the sleek lugs. Which is a real pity. If one watch deserved an all-solid bracelet, it’s this one.
Well, that just sucks... I just picked up a 031 and switched the original band out with a Z22 in hopes that I could get some SEL's w/ a decent bracelet, as the original was just horrible compared to even the Orient Dolphin's. I saved $20 doing that, so it seemed worth it at the time... guess it was not as good a deal as I hoped. :roll:

Anyone got a clue as to where you can pick up 031 End-links (or the whole bracelet) for under $20ish?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I like the solid end links but dont like the disproportionally large clasp on my super oyster II.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've lived with the super oyster for a week, and I've taken a few more pictures - which I hope are more representative.

My 6309-729A is one substantial watch on the William Jean all-solid oyster bracelet. The watch and bracelet (with four links removed) weighs in at 150g. Personally, I think going heavier would be a little bit pointless.

I have absolutely no problem with the two-hole clasp, but I know many don't get on with them. And, in fairness, I should say that the way the endlinks slightly protrude from the case are not an issue in real life. I'm hoping that these pictures are more representative than the previous lot.

The SO ii has won me over to oysters on larger watches. Previously I'd have said that oysters work best on thinner, smaller watches (I'm thinking 36mm handwind). This has enough heft, and fits well enough to hold the watch in place.

Wrist shot: says it all, doesn't it?

Class act: Can't beat a Pepsi on on oyster!

Well rounded: the watch head is rounded off with the addition of endlinks.

Heft: This is 150g of pure Seiko class.

Close call: looks like they were made for each other, doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Thanks for the pics! The combo looks very nice! :-!

·
Registered
145 Posts
guys, anyone grinded these solid end links to fit skx031? i really want to go into but would like someone to share experience first

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
guys, anyone grinded these solid end links to fit skx031? i really want to go into but would like someone to share experience first
If you're competent with a dremel (or hand-file), you could easily contour a taper into the sides of the SELs to mate with the 031 case.

Working the SEL's entire upper surface down would result in the loss of the appearance of the "center link", unless you reground those lines back in.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i never used dremel, only hand files. working with them is much slower so theres a possibility to trace the process not to make a mistake.

the question is how hard will be this work? i don't have any 007 or 6309 yet so don't understand what surfaces need to be grinded.

bluloo, what about the center link? you mean it won't match the endlink if i work with upper surface?

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
The centerlink fitment will be fine.

I'll try to clarify - If you look at the SEL from above, it's machined to give the appearance of a centerlink, though it's one, solid piece. If you grind down the entire upper surface, you'll likely remove the machined lines that provide that appearance.

Better?

·
Registered
145 Posts
hmm i didn't think it's s solid piece. i checked WJean's ebay listings, end links and the center one look like they can be separated.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
The end link is one solid piece.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
the second pic shows the center link is another piece
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

maybe we were talking about different models
I'm not talking about the centerlink attached to the bracelet.

The endlink is the piece between the lugs. It's notched, to accept the centerlink in the bracelet.
The sides of that bracelet centerlink line up with parallel grooves machined into the solid endlink. It's those grooves that I was saying might be lost, if the entire upper surface of the SEL was worked down, to mate with the case.

HTH

·
Registered
145 Posts
so thoroughout my search i came to a conclusion i most likely won't be able to do this customization in a proper way due to lack of experience.

if someone can help me please PM:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts