WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I posted a ? on whether I should do a trade of 3 watches for a GS Snowflake.. The outcome reassured my feelings of wanting to go through with the trade.
However now I'm thinking maybe 41mm is to small?? I'm 6 "3 250lb guy, so I'm afraid it might be to small. So my ? to The Seiko & GS people out their, is their anyone who has both which can show me a picture side by side? If you are a big guy even better! If you have any input on whether one is better fit than the other for a guy my size please chime in. Also I just got the GS Diver, and when I had to adjust the watch to fit no links where removed only one micro adjustment was made for a perfect fit to give you a idea of my wrist. Thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate it as I have to give my decision soon (hopefully by this afternoon) for the watch to be ordered.

These are the 2 watches in question..

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Picture of GS Diver on my wrist...Does it look like Snowflake will be too small?? Will the GMT be a better fit for my wrist?

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Blue

·
Registered
504 Posts
The GS diver looks just fine on your wrist. Just because you're over six feet tall doesn't necessarily mean you have to wear dinner plates for watches. That being said, I'd caution you on going any smaller than 40mm.

·
Premium Member
11,163 Posts
You're a wee bit smaller than I and 41mm is fine on my wrist. The pic looks killer IMHO. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I doubt the Snowflake will be too small, especially since it isn't meant to be a flashy technical looking wrist-anchor. What is your actual wrist size? On another note, I love the SBGE you pictured above but, well, it's kinda sorta similar to the dive watch you already have. The SBGA would add a lot more variety to your proposed two watch set.

My opinion is worth every penny you paid for it....

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you 100% on the two watches being so similar, especially with the black dials. I LOVE the Snowflake design & dial, however after doing a bit of research people are comparing it to the DJ which is 41mm to. The DD definitely doesn't work for me as I believe it looks like I'm wearing my wife's watch (IMO) This may also be to the fact that I am so used to wearing 44mm watches on the norm, so my eyes are probably adjusted to the larger size. I also had the GS SBGE013 that I posted pics here on WUS before that I got rid of as soon as I bought it as it was too small on my wrist & I believe that was 41mm??

I just don't want to get the snowflake and think it is to small.. I hate the fact that I can't see them first!! It sucks that only AZ and TX have the two AD's.

I doubt the Snowflake will be too small, especially since it isn't meant to be a flashy technical looking wrist-anchor. What is your actual wrist size? On another note, I love the SBGE you pictured above but, well, it's kinda sorta similar to the dive watch you already have. The SBGA would add a lot more variety to your proposed two watch set.

My opinion is worth every penny you paid for it....

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot to mention my wrist is exactly 8"

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Hi Watchnut. The sbge013 you mentioned is a 39.4mm case. If you did not require additional links for that watch then the sbga011's bracelet should be fine too. The gs diver's bracelet is meant for wrist size up to 22cm, the sbge001 21cm and the sbga011 20cm which is right at your limit if you have an 8 inch wrist. The case height of the sbga011 will help in this regard though. Having said that I think the sbga011 will look neither small nor large on your wrist, especially if you keep it on it's bracelet. The weight of the watch though may take some getting used to.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have owned both, SBGE001 and SBGA011. I much prefer the SBGE001 GMT, it has a more useful complication for me (GMT with independent set hour hand and 3 timezone tracking) plus lumed hands, dial markers and 24 hour sapphire bezel. The case is rated to 200m WR.

The Snowflake is beautiful and the titanium makes it a superb everyday watch. The SBGE001 is top heavy due to its thicker case and steel construction (SBGA011 is 98g vs SBGE001 177g).

The dial in the Snowflake is beautiful but I bored with the watch after a while. Perhaps I found it a bit too "Clinical" and a bit too "Dressy". Maybe perhaps I have a preference for sports watches.

In terms of attention grabbing and compliments, people do notice the SBGE001 GMT far more. I don't remember getting compliments on the Snowflake, maybe because its case design and general looks to the untrained eye makes it a bit generic in presence.

Finally, keep in mind neither 001/011 have no microadjustments on the clasp. Instead, the bracelets are fitted with 2 half links. Wrist fit and comfort can be tricky to achieve. The only other GS sport model that has 4 microadjustment holes on the clasp is the GS chronograph. Have you considered that one?

Can't go wrong with either. Snowflake has very good resale and easier to flip on the second hand market due to its following.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have looked at the 41mm SBGE005/011 GMT's but don't like GMT watches that lack lume and a rotating 24 hour bezel. These also look a bit akward on the wrist because they are standard dress case 41mm models (SBGA001/003/011) adapted to fit the thicker 9R66 GMT Spring Drive movement. The end result is a 41mm watch with a 13.4mm tall case. Weird.

To me, if you are going to take the plunge for a GS GMT go all the way with the SBGE001, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
It will be small for you. My wrists are around 7" and the 41mm case looked perfect. But for you is going to look like a women's watch. Also, do you like pure white dials? While I loved the detail of my Snowflake's dial plus the steel blue seconds hand, I could not quite get "In love" with a pure white matte dial. Had it been sunburst I would have liked it more, but then again, it would not have been a Snowflake to begin with.

It took me a while to realize that I prefer sporty looking watches and the GS sport models (GMT, diver and Chrono) fit the bill better for my lifestyle. Dressy watches may be a bit plain for your taste and the Snowflake tends to be very understated in real life. Nothing wrong with that of course.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Forgot to mention my wrist is exactly 8"
Oooff. I can't give you any useful advice on this anymore because your wrist is a good bit larger than mine (6.75") and size appearance is such a subjective thing. I *suspect* that a GS would look larger on the wrist than the Rolexes because it is a cleaner design without a bezel crowding the crystal. Whether that still has the look you want, I couldn't tell you.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
It's all about personal preference. 41mm is big for a dress watch. It will take you some time to get used to it, but with a white dial 41mm it's as big as a good dress watch will get. Anything bigger would look like a joke.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It will be small for you. My wrists are around 7" and the 41mm case looked perfect. But for you is going to look like a women's watch. Also, do you like pure white dials? While I loved the detail of my Snowflake's dial plus the steel blue seconds hand, I could not quite get "In love" with a pure white matte dial. Had it been sunburst I would have liked it more, but then again, it would not have been a Snowflake to begin with.

It took me a while to realize that I prefer sporty looking watches and the GS sport models (GMT, diver and Chrono) fit the bill better for my lifestyle. Dressy watches may be a bit plain for your taste and the Snowflake tends to be very understated in real life. Nothing wrong with that of course.
Oooff. I can't give you any useful advice on this anymore because your wrist is a good bit larger than mine (6.75") and size appearance is such a subjective thing. I *suspect* that a GS would look larger on the wrist than the Rolexes because it is a cleaner design without a bezel crowding the crystal. Whether that still has the look you want, I couldn't tell you.

Good luck with it.
It's all about personal preference. 41mm is big for a dress watch. It will take you some time to get used to it, but with a white dial 41mm it's as big as a good dress watch will get. Anything bigger would look like a joke.
Perhaps too late here but here's my SBGA011 on my 7.7"-ish wrist,

Thanks for all your feedback and pics guys!!! I really appreciated as it would have been a huge disappointment to get the watch and have it look to small. I'm just going to wait a
bit longer before I pull the trigger on another GS. Especially since I just got the diver, I think I was getting a little ahead of myself with the excitement of the quality I saw in the GS Diver..
The Snowflake was definitely a watch that grabbed my attention, but this thread proved that it's to big of a risk buying the watch without trying it & 99% it's to small for me.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Alex,

I ended up getting the Snowflake from Timeless luxury

Reactions: Cannonball

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I had a Snowflake and I think dressier watches should not be over 39-40mm. The SBGA011 is 41mm and 12.5mm thick, frankly a tad big for a conservatively designed piece.

I like GS newer under 40mm dress Spring Drives. That size is far more appropiate for that type of watch.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Omega AT Day Date SS, Omega De Ville Trésor YG, Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial Sapphire 3861
4,168 Posts
I had a Snowflake and I think dressier watches should not be over 39-40mm. The SBGA011 is 41mm and 12.5mm thick, frankly a tad big for a conservatively designed piece.

I like GS newer under 40mm dress Spring Drives. That size is far more appropiate for that type of watch.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I thought you like big watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.