WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not messing about here - this is rare, not ebay rare, but actually rare.

This watch was thought to exist only as a prototype, and is the design that was used to launch the entire modern Roamer Luxury Competence line. The modern design was based on some drawings and an empty case found in the Roamer archive.

Following photos owned by thomas1966 (uhrforum.de)

Back to the original:

Beautiful machined dial.

I apologize for the dust, it is on the crystal - not under.

MST 373, 8 3/4''' launched in or around 1944/45 - this one would be about 1955 due to use of kif-duofix on escape cap jewel, yet no shock protection on the balance (this is originally a ladies movement in a man's watch). Its not a sport watch, so it probably isn't needed anyway.

I feel incredibly privilaged to own this.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
May I be the first to congratulate you. Amazing.

Applause.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Very very nice. I'm a tenderfoot when it comes to (vintage) watches, so I can't yet fully appreciate the rareness of the watch.
I do have an opinion on looks however, and I *really* like the way the small movement serves the purpose of adding to the beautiful dial design. Kudos to Roamer on this, and congrats to you!

Will you actually wear it, or is it going to be a display watch?

Sent through Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's a very special piece, superb and beautiful design. Congratulations! How ever did you find that one? Would have to be a one-off I think!

Regards, Rob

·
Registered
495 Posts
Very cool!

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Hi there,

just a remark about the mystery of fashion. Apparently quite some manufacturers believed in the 50s that people would love such watches with skelettonized dials. But as apparently they must have been wrong: How else could it happen that so many n.o.s. samples of such watches passed my auction, and that many of them got an untransparent ring to make them look normal.

Here one of many Jenny manual winders with transparent ring sold between 2002 and 2003:

And here one of many Rodania automatics sold between 2002 and 2010, all with dark opaque ring:

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I wasn't aware of the Jenny - but I had seen the Rodania before. Just shows few design ideas are unique - although I only see 2 sold in your archive rather than many - quite a few Rodania though. Even if unpopular in the 1950s, the modern version seems to have sold well 50 years later in the 2000s with the competence line. Still, this is the only complete Roamer of this design that I know of - maybe more exist, but who can know.

Another one on a similar theme from my collection, the numerals are cast into the midcase rather than on the dial.

Thanks all, and no I won't wear it or the one in this post (unfortunately).

·
Registered
277 Posts
I wasn't aware of the Jenny - but I had seen the Rodania before. Just shows few design ideas are unique - although I only see 2 sold in your archive rather than many - quite a few Rodania though. Even if unpopular in the 1950s, the modern version seems to have sold well 50 years later in the 2000s with the competence line. Still, this is the only complete Roamer of this design that I know of - maybe more exist, but who can know.

Another one on a similar theme from my collection, the numerals are cast into the midcase rather than on the dial.

Thanks all, and no I won't wear it or the one in this post (unfortunately).
This is the most exquisite and beautiful watch I've ever seen!
Love it's 50ies design. Lovely, lovely...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Congrats, Kris!

If YOU tell us it´s an extremely rare Roamer, I believe it. ;-)
Indeed, it looks to be very nice done.
These cocktail watches came from many companies, most of them less massive and cheaper done. I´m looking for a reasonable Rado or Exacto model for a few years now - also extremely rare.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts