WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a watch dealer near my place, he deals in pre-owned and vintage watches (and new as well). He has about a year old (I think) Superocean (1500m). He's asking about $1500 for it (he said retail is around $2300 - I forget the exact amount). He's not a Breitling authorised dealer though.

Is this good value or just so-so? Or a complete rip?

Thnx!

peace

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's a pretty good value, depending on the condition of the watch, plus its from an AD. That's what you would pay on ebay for an SO like that one, and then there are no gurantees. :gold

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, actually I wrote that he's not an AD. But it does have all box and papers. Condition is mint. Very nice, small independent high end watch store, but not Breitling AD. Don't know if that lowers the value, but it's definitely a reputable place regardless. He's an AD for Bell & Ross, Longines, Mido, Fortis, Hamilton, among others.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If this is pre-owned I would bet he doesn't have any more than $1100 in it. So he prob. has some room to deal. Make him an offer you can walk away from. They are not that rare.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Let me put things in perspective. My first superocean was three or four years old and i sold it for $850 but remember this was after i had the watch cleaned and polished (i also didnt have any of the paperwork). My second superocean was 1 month old and my jeweler wanted to purchase it off me for $1500 when he saw the excellent condition of the watch. But i didnt want to sell it. Im still wearing it. No way would i pay $1500 for a preowned superoceaned. Hell im almost tempted to sell you mine and mine is in perfect condition with all paperwork and bought from an authorixed dealer with full warranty. But anyway i digress.

Hope this helps.

Emil

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
There's a watch dealer near my place, he deals in pre-owned and vintage watches (and new as well). He has about a year old (I think) Superocean (1500m). He's asking about $1500 for it (he said retail is around $2300 - I forget the exact amount). He's not a Breitling authorised dealer though.
That's quite a bit for a used SuperO, even if it's kosher. Typical prices in the UK (ex-tax) are around £750, and with PPP at about 1.7, that's nearer $1,300. If it's a year old, maybe try starting at $1,200, and be prepared to move a little (say, $1,350).

Remember, the pressure is on you to buy a SuperO at 30% off - that is the typical discount publicised by the hawks. Ignoring sales tax, that's $1,610 brand new.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I seem to recall that my 2004 SO was $1,750 USD, but I cannot remember if that was MSRP, or my purchase price. I can't see paying $1,500. What year is it? We all have Chronologs to at least give you MSRP.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
As a rule of thumb many second hand watch dealers buy at 50% of replacement value and sell at 70% to 75% for watches in 90% plus condition.

This does vary especially for hard to find models.

Whilst you might be able to find one cheaper in a private sale I think the price your dealer is offering is fair.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a 2mo old SuperOcean with bracelet in trade for a 4 yo Seamaster I had bought for $1100. Probably $1500 is a bit high, so let the haggling begin.

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts