WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Superquartz vs. Quartz B-1

6K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  AmanB1 
#1 ·
Is there any significant difference between the two?

#6 ·
From rbt's article in the articles section...

Quartz calibres

B50 1990s Colt (base movement unconfirmed)
B51 Miyota Y652
B52 ETA 956.112
B53 ETA 251.262
B55 (Meca quartz) Piguet
B56 ETA 998.332
B57 ETA 955.412
B59 Miyota C3510
B64 ETA 955.612
B65 ETA 998.332
B67 ETA 956.612
B68 ETA E20.331
B69 (Meca quartz) Piguet 1271 (rattrapante)
B 71 Super quartz (SQ)
B 72 Super quartz (SQ)
B 73 Super quartz (SQ)
B 74 Super quartz (SQ)
B 75 Super quartz (SQ)
B 76 Super quartz (SQ)
B 77 Super quartz (SQ)
B 78 Super quartz (SQ)
B 79 Super quartz (SQ)

The first digits of the model number define the movement incorporated ie: B79 ... so you don't have to rely on dial graphics to know what you are asking about.

#8 ·
Not a bit of it, mate. I'm more direct then that if I'm upset. If you are interpreting "so you don't have to rely on dial graphics to know what you are asking about" as upset then I apologise. I could have worded this statement in a more passive voice. I could have said.. the dial graphics and labeling are confusing sometimes, with this precise info you can work out the movement of your watch in seconds, good luck. :)

#10 ·
Hi AmanB1,

I think the dial alone can tell whether it's SuperQuartz or not. What it can't tell is if it's an "officially certified chronometer" or not. Please, correct me if I'm wrong... :-X
  • If the dial says "Breitling 1884" (1998) or "Breitling B-1" (1999-2003) => then it's B68 (Quartz).
  • If the dial says "Breitling Chronometre B-1" (2003 onwards) => then it's B78 (SQ).
The chronometer certification can be read either on the caseback or on the dial. Of course, if the watch comes with papers, you can see if there's a Chronometer certificate among them.

Cheers! Don

#14 ·
It's been said here (so therefore 'on good authority') that you'll find a four figure number on the bracelet (more etched than engraved) that represents the month and year of manufacture of the bracelet.

e.g. my B-1 bracelet shows '0205' indicating Feb 2005.

What none of us know is how soon after manufacture a watch is matched with its strap/bracelet. Of course, if someone claims they are selling you a '2006 watch' but the bracelet was made in 2004 they've got some questions to answer.

#15 ·
It's been said here (so therefore 'on good authority') that you'll find a four figure number on the bracelet (more etched than engraved) that represents the month and year of manufacture of the bracelet.

e.g. my B-1 bracelet shows '0205' indicating Feb 2005.

What none of us know is how soon after manufacture a watch is matched with its strap/bracelet. Of course, if someone claims they are selling you a '2006 watch' but the bracelet was made in 2004 they've got some questions to answer.
Thanks Rik!

Anybody know about the COSC certificate?

#16 ·
AmanB1,

From what I recall of past discussions around this topic, you may be able to pay for a reissue of the original test results for your watch but this comes in the form of a print out. The certificates, I haven't heard of them being reissued. Consider that Breitling submits all of their production for testing which amounts to many thousands of movements per year. So its no small ask considering the number of watches in circulation since 1999-2000 when this became the norm for Breitling production watches.

At the end of the day, it makes little difference to the value of the watch at resale. Nice to have but not the essential document one might think it is for a watch now years since the attestation to COSC standards met at the time of prouction.

#17 · (Edited)
Hi, I have been intrigued with some of the posts concerning how to identify the age of your B1's.
It is true that you can check when the bracelet was made by using the four figure number engraved on the inside of the bracelet.
I decided to test this on a couple of my watches, a Colt II and a couple of B1's. So far I have found that if the watch is from 2004 onwards the same principle of the numbers on the bracelet can be found engraved between the horns at the six o'clock position, you will have to remove the strap or bracelet to see this though. i.e. 0904 = week nine / 2004. Invariably the watch is sold a bit after this though. Useful if you want to check out a watch at the AD. Or just want a peek yourself. It will be interesting to see if any other Breitlings are marked in this way or if its only on a few of them.
I have edited this entry to save any confusion, thanks Don. - Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.