WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
13,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
We all have cheap n fun watches, but which were surprisingly so, that exceeded your expectations?

I recently won this little number: Parnis Blue.
I didn't mean to get it, but somehow I ended up winning it.

Ridiculous low price!
Heck, the strap + buckle probably cost as much.

I sure am surprised, and delighted... in a very surprising way.

What do you have?

Some pics:

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
The surprise is how awesome guys on the "Bargain" thread are with the timely discount info.

SRP605K2 on OEM rubber strap ($108 delivered)

Then found this SRP607 for $103 delivered, thanks to folks on the "Bargain" thread with the discount codes last winter.
The OEM PVD Seiko bracelet is good enough for the price.

Both have 4r36 and are terrific pieces for the price. So for a total of $212 I am stoked.

Put the 605 on a gorgeous, supple Helberg strap:

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
Another super Surprise was last Thanksgiving Day, the day BEFORE Black Friday, was away at relatives for the holiday and during a break in the football games, picked up my iPad to check stuff and had the "Bargain" thread was front and center when I opened the screen, only to see the Kontiki codes for the WOW website AND THEY ACTUALLY WORKED! Got it for $448 incl. shipping!!

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,112 Posts
Ignoring the forum sticky?
Is that really surprising? :-d

OK, I'll play. Back in 2003 I bought a pair of near-new Poljots for $40 each:

Prices like that were not quite so unusual then, nevertheless I was particularly surprised by the quality of the Model 131. A comfortable size with big easy-grip onion crowns (useful for setting the alarm while wearing the watch), easy to read dial with all-night lume and quarter-hour marks for the alarm hand. It's an enduring favourite.

Two problems: 1. it's one of the reasons that this watch obsession has stayed with me all these years, and 2. you just can't find that sort of deal on a mechanical alarm any more.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
This $25* Hamilton Jazzmaster clone is a perfectly acceptable automatic that reliably kept decent time for me on the days I would wear it:
eyki_w8456g_20130522.jpg
It's by far the cheapest good mechanical watch I've owned. Nothing in particular beyond the original strap jumps out as being overly cheap. The case is well made and, though plated I'm sure, not obvious about it. The rotor is a little noisy, but that's not unusual in a world where the 9015 is a choice movement in Affordables. The movement (the model of which I've forgotten) hacks and handwinds smoothly. The auto rotor keeps the movement charged unlike many ultra-affordable Chinese automatics. The dial is very well made for the segment, as you can see in the photo.

Unfortunately, I don't much care for clones and hadn't realized at first that it was one. Once I did, I mostly stopped wearing it. So, surprisingly good watch, but perhaps Eyki should hire some designers?

* ? It's been a few years, and I don't precisely recall.

·
Registered
13,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ignoring the forum sticky?

D'OH!!!

My apologies to WUS.

PS: On a slight tangent, and in no way as an excuse of any kind, there was a time when those double-M words could not be mentioned on ebay. For some time now, they seem to be OK.

Either it is somehow now OK, or whoever owns the name got tired of tracking everyone down all the time.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
This story is completely true. Some years ago I was walking around the docks in Naples and I saw a tiny and very old submarine with three or four Italian navy men standing on top, arguing about who has to jump back on land to cast off. It was all very Keystone Kops. They called out to me and I cast off for them and they thanked me.

I now know why the Italian navy is so shambolic. Every time they try to write anything down, they get hit with a trademark enforcement notice.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
PS: On a slight tangent, and in no way as an excuse of any kind, there was a time when those double-M words could not be mentioned on ebay. For some time now, they seem to be OK.

Either it is somehow now OK, or whoever owns the name got tired of tracking everyone down all the time.
It's still an active trademark: see here.

·
Registered
13,797 Posts
$30
51mriiqDvhL._AC_UL320_SR208,320_.jpg
every time I see one in real life, I'm taken back by how nice it actually is for the money.

About $40-50
91RxdL1efiL._UY550_.jpg
Never before has so much watch been available for so little money.
It's even NASA approved.

$90
AWG-M100B-1AER.jpg
Solar Battery (which alone was almost $50 to buy). Atomic sync. 200m WR. 10m shock resistant.
and a darn good looking watch to boot.

Euro 750
30_Club_472.jpg
Horween Shell cordovan strap, handmade inhouse movement. mostly hand made in Glashuette. Sapphire crystal.
Very accurate handwound movement. impeccable design from a terrific company.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Euro 750
View attachment 9306050
Horween Shell cordovan strap, handmade inhouse movement. mostly hand made in Glashuette. Sapphire crystal.
Very accurate handwound movement. impeccable design from a terrific company.
750€ is a very good price. If that was the price new, you make me regret somewhat having bought my Club used. You alluded in another post to a German dealer. Would you mind sharing the name?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts