WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, while i've been trying to buy a watch from the Svalbard website and a few things have happened. One was that, on the website, it stated that, since they are based in Kazakhstan I was asked to pay in Tenge. Which... i felt was a bit odd, but it was difficult to find a info about this in forums.

Second was that, while my payment was being processed during checkout, it more or less crashed but still ended up sending me an email that my order was placed. (Checking today) They emailed me and told me that the payment hadn't gone through and have been trying to resolve it with me. They told me that it had something to do with a "3D secure system" that i makes using cards from the US difficult.

And Third, is that I am being asked to send money via PayPal to an email of a "friend in USA" I cannot find when i search it. [screenshot below]

I've seen posts on this forum that talk about having a positive experience with them (the few posts i could find about buying from this company). But, feeling that what they were asking me to do with PayPal wasn't quite right, I did some more searching and had my gut's suspicion proven correct, though, post-search, [screenshot below] looks like some real Nigerian-prince stuff, coming from what should be a professional business.

Anyway, I haven't replied yet. I was wondering what the experience other Americans who've gotten Svalbard watches directly from their website has been and if it's similar to mine.

p.s. This is my first time doing this sort of thing and I'm really just trying to get an affordable 24-hr dial watch, nothing fancy.
Eye Product Human body Rectangle Font

Attachments

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
My only experience with Svalbard was when I was looking at a reverse one-hander.
The model I wanted couldn't be found on their webshop directly, but a Google link pointed to a watch in their webshop with a "buy"-button.

I emailed them and asked about the availability and got quite a strange response.

They told me that the watch MIGHT be available and that I should order a different watch from their webshop at the same price point as the one I wanted and after the order was made, send them an email and tell them which watch I actually wanted...

If they couldn't find the one I wanted, the order would be cancelled...

Needless to say, I didn't do any of that.
It all seemed a bit too stupid to make any sense to me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My only experience with Svalbard was when I was looking at a reverse one-hander.
The model I wanted couldn't be found on their webshop directly, but a Google link pointed to a watch in their webshop with a "buy"-button.

I emailed them and asked about the availability and got quite a strange response.

They told me that the watch MIGHT be available and that I should order a different watch from their webshop at the same price point as the one I wanted and after the order was made, send them an email and tell them which watch I actually wanted...

If they couldn't find the one I wanted, the order would be cancelled...

Needless to say, I didn't do any of that.
It all seemed a bit too stupid to make any sense to me.
That's very strange and convoluted. I had to think that one through for a sec.

One would think that they could either just search their database or do whatever they have to do and just get back to you later.

·
Premium Member
4,296 Posts
Never heard of that 3d thing, so not sure one way or the other. No experience with the brand, but it is pretty odd to me that they are pushing for sending PayPal friends and family instead of goods and services. Its a sale with a business so I think should be goods and services, plus with friends and family I believe you loose many of your PayPal protections.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never heard of that 3d thing. No experience with the brand, but it is pretty odd to me that they are pushing for sending PayPal friends and family instead of goods and services. Its a sale with a business so should be goods and services, plus with friends and family I believe you loose many of your PayPal protections.
Yeah, i read this article and it said that PayPal protections don't extend to personal transfers like that, basically.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never heard of that 3d thing. No experience with the brand, but it is pretty odd to me that they are pushing for sending PayPal friends and family instead of goods and services. Its a sale with a business so should be goods and services, plus with friends and family I believe you loose many of your PayPal protections.
(First reply is pending mod approval bc of the inserted link i assume * shrug *)

Yeah, i read an article that said as much. I'm considering replying to that email that they're being unprofessional, but as another user basically said it's sus.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
it sounds like the website has been hacked.
using f&f for anything other than sending money to f&f violates PP's rules and can get them and you banned.
Not sure about the hacking, but asking for a PP F&F payment bypasses taxes and is unprofessional, if not illegal. I actually had a very well-known US-based Gray Market dealer ask me to use PP F&F and it's made me wary of their business practices ever since.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
Not sure about the hacking, but asking for a PP F&F payment bypasses taxes and is unprofessional, if not illegal. I actually had a very well-known US-based Gray Market dealer ask me to use PP F&F and it's made me wary of their business practices ever since.
could be website has been hacked or someone has created a look-a-like website
U.S. contact is [email protected]?
svalbardone.com doesn't make any mention of payments via a 'friend in USA' or F&F PP

1 - 20 of 63 Posts