WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What Version Of Suunto Ambit do you Prefer?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Black. Definitely.
Interesting that the black version is so dominating when it comes to what version people like most. I was expecting more of a 50/50 scenario. Now it seems the black wins with a huge margin. Will be interesting to see if it still wins by so much when more people have voted.:-!

Btw DaveS66 I see that you forgot to vote for the black in the poll!:)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
One of the main reasons I like the black is that I prefer the strap that the black uses. I find it odd that they show different straps depending on the color.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There should be a 3rd option... neither LOL :)
Jeff_C how come you do not like the Ambit?:think:

It is very similar to the Core in the looks department, just amplified with a GPS and accelerometer. So I think that most people who like the Core also like the Ambit when it comes to the look of it!:-!

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Nope, I dont care for its beer belly and Im not sold on a GPS watch. And Im becoming a bitter curmudgeon. Sometimes I think we over think the most simple of life's pleasures. Go ride, go run, go hike... Dont over think it. People have been doing it for years.

I read the review of the guy in DC. Great review, nice writing. But for his 10 mile run he had 2-3 GPS devices and a digital camera. LOL really? Granted, he was writing a review... but REALLY lol. No offense to the gentleman at all.... but what a geek. LOL. Get over yourself and your technology.

But hey, thats just me... You kids go play with your gizmos. Ill be raking sand.

Ok, so thats my esoteric answer heres my thoughts...

I dont like a watch that has such limited power capabilities... Without a solar charger you are screwed on anything over its battery life. Hey with a Core I could probably get a year long field trip... works for me! (With my liquid compass I could stay in the woods forever).

I dont think a GPS watch is all that interesting. I have a hand held GPS. Its great. Has a cool little map and everything. NEATO! done. I dont need to tell the world where I went to ride. I know where I went. I dont need to brag, nor do I need that "team feeling". I do like my TE number... NEATO! But honestly if you ride or run long enough, you feel it. You know your zones. It works. I like an altimeter as a toy... the barometer is WAY helpful.. the Compass could help me in a pinch and I have used them for land nav. (with that good old Silva my dad gave me when I was 12). I like my ABC's but thats about all I need.

yeah, Im in a grumpy mood. But you asked :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yep. Everyone's got their limits, and priorities and preferences.
And I'll bet Fred Beckey can determine the altitude with one good deep breath, and a topo map.

I'm a fan of the occasional run naked, hike naked outing. Never mind the watch, ipod, gps, hrm, and cell phone, it's leaving the camera behind on a hike that tests my resolve. Though the beer for the summit is definitely considered a nutritional essential.

But back to my Ambit obsession - I try to keep it partitioned to the online world. In the real world, people would think i'm a nut case.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Yep. Everyone's got their limits, and priorities and preferences.
And I'll bet Fred Beckey can determine the altitude with one good deep breath, and a topo map.

I'm a fan of the occasional run naked, hike naked outing. Never mind the watch, ipod, gps, hrm, and cell phone, it's leaving the camera behind on a hike that tests my resolve. Though the beer for the summit is definitely considered a nutritional essential.

But back to my Ambit obsession - I try to keep it partitioned to the online world. In the real world, people would think i'm a nut case.
Oh yeah, and I think that's great. I have no issues with Ambit fever at all. As a Suunto fan, I think its awesome.

It looks like a really good step forward for Suunto.

Honestly, the absolute coolest feature to me is that +/- display. That is AWESOME!

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Oh yeah, and I think that's great. I have no issues with Ambit fever at all. As a Suunto fan, I think its awesome.
All I know is that I'm a mechanical guy and the Ambit is a very interesting device, and it drew me here... BTW BLACK ON BLACK for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Black or Silver Question: Does anyone know if the black bezel and the silver bezel are exchange-able? I suppose that this is a violate the warranty type thing as you can ruin the water proof seal, get dust under the crystal. If the answer is yes AND Suunto will sell the bezels (and buttons?) you can buy which ever one is in stock and retrofit latter.

Now maybe there will be an aftermarket diamond bezel....hmmm

·
Registered
566 Posts
Black or Silver Question: Does anyone know if the black bezel and the silver bezel are exchange-able? I suppose that this is a violate the warranty type thing as you can ruin the water proof seal, get dust under the crystal. If the answer is yes AND Suunto will sell the bezels (and buttons?) you can buy which ever one is in stock and retrofit latter.

Now maybe there will be an aftermarket diamond bezel....hmmm
It looks to me like more than the bezel changes, probably the body and band as well. At least from the pictures, above the bezel it looks like a different styling on the band. Which seems odd to me, as the band I saw in one picture looked like the black band on the back side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts