WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,568 Posts
Re: Suunto Core or wait for Ambit

I just was thinking... Yesterday the Ambit was announced... And I had to go back into my old shop to buy some thermals and was offered a job.... Coincidence?? Yep I will probably go back to work partite so Icahn continue to finance my habit...

· Registered
1,568 Posts

I don't think that Mystro has one... I think he saw a side pic online... It looks to be slightly thicker than an x-10

· Registered
1,568 Posts

I do wonder how connectivity will be implemented myself. Movescount is getting lots of criticisms, indeed. Some justified, some because there's always someone who wants something more, which has not (yet) been implemented. Must be difficult. Still, needing a notebook + internet connectivity to upload waypoints to a GPS, download tracks from it to empty memory... I hope there'll be a "simple track downloader" software again. Everything's moving into the Cloud, though, so...

One way or another, I'll be getting one and using/reviewing it intensely. Won't be the first review, but will be when there's been enough time for it.

Gerald, at home in…, w| Gerald Zhang-Schmidt | how to truly live in this world
it makes sense to do this.. It is easier to upload data from a watch directly to a server for analysis rather than using a piece of Software. There is no need to update across various platforms, and tweak setting, etc.. Its a smart move for Suunto to put their software efforts here. Mac is becoming a real live player in personal computers, and this fixes this long running frustration with being a Windows only platform..

· Registered
1,568 Posts

most important info for me - the Ambit can also be used as a normal ABC watch, without the GPS functions (due to the barometer you'll have altimeter readings,...)
>>> makes it almost certain buy for me!
You could with the X9 and X10- they has a full barometer and altimeter functions as well.

· Registered
1,568 Posts
Okay I can tell a few things, but this is getting pretty esoteric...

SIRF is indeed the new GPS formatt that the Ambit is using, the older style was just the plain old GPS format. But looking at my old watch, an X10 and X9mi (when I tore it down) it only had one microprocessor, which probably explains the horrible Lock times and miserable battery life..

TE and EPOC will most likely NOT be on the Ambit- Suunto reserves that feature for its high end training watches... Keep in mind that Suunto makes two (well three) basic series of watches. The Outdoor line, which includes the Core, Ambit, X10, and the sailing watches etc ; the Training line, which includes the X6, the M series,of which the X6 includes the EPOC, and the Diving line which have a radically different build. Suunto tends to pigeon hole watches into one of these categories, whereas the Garmin, is a GPS watch for runners.. The Ambit is a step towards that market with the ability to communicate with the existing PODs that suunto has.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.